Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Did you ever hear the song "To much time on my hands"?

Old 12-26-2019, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
"beam pattern" projected against a wall / garage door.

Frank..if you referring to peeps as to me? I do not know but imagine some of us have been around the Porsche 911 for many many years ...... ..
The garage door was use as a sample due to the bad weather..........
Or are you referring to the PCA garage door tests..or John`s posted pictures????......

Also i have tried i`d say about 15 different light bulbs makers..and yes i did also tried it on the road with friends if the light is blinding them on the opposite side.The conclusion to my test was what i have written above.....and of course the $$$ matters, one set of H4 light bulbs was $80 and the set of H5 was $95 ......

Ivan

Last edited by proporsche; 12-26-2019 at 06:21 AM..
Old 12-26-2019, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

One overlooked issue by many is that periodic legal technical inspection in many countries involve checking headlight aim/pattern.
These aftermarket LED bulbs, all of them so far, have been laughed out of the testing centers here in Switzerland.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomezoneill View Post
Did you ever hear the song "To much time on my hands"?
Gomez...

Lighting for Porsches is my trade. I think it's an important safety issue for Porsche drivers in particular as we're sometimes tempted to drive a little too fast. It's very easy to out-drive your headlights in a high performance car. Also, I live in Central Oregon and this area is full of night-time critters roaming around. I don't know one fellow Porsche driver here that hasn't had at least one encounter with a deer.

To be responsible in this business I have to be as informed as possible - and that takes time, a lot of time.

Cheers,
John

“Restoring genuine original lighting with care”
John Audette - Porsche Lighting Anorak
Concours Restoration of SWB/LWB Lights - 911 LEDs
AudetteCollection.com. audette-collection.myshopify.com
Old 12-26-2019, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

John is correct.
Staying informed is part of this business.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proporsche View Post
.....I have an European H4 lenses and H4 specially made for me .......

ps.i do not work or sell these products..i just ried a lot of them and these came out perfect...
Ivan, since you seem to be the only person with these bulbs, can I use them after you find better bulbs?🙂

It would make more sense for LED manufacturers to instead concentrate on making brighter tail and brake lamp bulbs. Most 1157-base LED bulbs are woefully inadequate for brightness and off axis beam spread. Anyone have any recommendations? Sorry for the potential hi-jack.

PS: I too flash my hi-beams whenever I encounter vehicles with retina burn headlights. They’re especially hazardous when sharing dark and narrow city streets.

Sherwood
Old 12-26-2019, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
i have done some tests myself using LED H4 and LED H5 and i have to say .facing my 911 in an opposite traffic i do not get this scary glare you are describing here at all.
I`m with Dicklague about this.

I have an European H4 lenses and H4 specially made for me in China same goes for the H5 light bulbs specially made for me(i was the 1`st on that order)i will post some more pictures later ..
The light is perfect....
Ivan
H5 light bulb LED

H5 light at night---the opposite-from passing car- pic i do later..when the rain stops...

Ivan

ps.i do not work or sell these products..i just ried a lot of them and these came out perfect...
Proporsche, nice bulbs they seem to work well.

One thing that is not mentioned much here is the use of headlights and driving lights as DRLA or daytime running lights. I live in a mountainous are near Los Angeles and the huge hazard is drivers who don't know the roads over driving their skills. I want them to see me as soon as possible in the daylight. I run my LED headlights with high beam, and my LED driving lights [which are illegal here in CA, but not enforced] are wired so that they can bw on only when the high beam is on. I actually don't drive much at night, but always use my headlights in the daytime. I want the oncoming traffic to see me in daylight.

I want to look like a Euro rally car full of birght lights.

This is a very serious problem where I live and drive and I need the strongest high beam I can get. Glare is not an issue in the daytime. BEING SEEN is a BIG issue.

Euro posters who have oppressive laws in their highly government regulated countries have their own set of problems. In the USA the states have their own laws and they are not enforced nationally. We do have Federal laws, but are applied to importation and sale. Owners can modify and the feds are very weak in the ability of enforce their federal rules.

California for example is NUTS on emissions tests, but have NO vehicle safety routine or annual checks. Brakes, tires, lights etc... all up to the owner. No MOT or TUF. They would like you to replace your car with electric, but they don't check if you tires are bald!!
Thanks for your support on my position.
RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990

Last edited by dicklague; 12-26-2019 at 08:51 AM..
Old 12-26-2019, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Dicklague..that is correct a a little crazy i know i lived in CA for 27 years;-) CA is always worrying about emission but what is actually driving on the roads, nobody cares.Once i had a 911 in the shop ,it came from Russia--all CA legal and guess what it was so rusty the whole car had two railroad tracks-irons welded under the body so it doesn't bend. Again it had a clean pink slip.This 911 did made it to Siberia and back to civilization..Then it was bought some person in the USA.
So back to the lights..i personally do not drive at night at all no reason, but it drove me nuts in Europe, some countries you have to have daytime running lights.I did not want to have the lights on all the time so i did the research about the LED`s. After, i did my own daytime light .On the picture you can see them on the front rubber bumper piece.That costed me 6 bucks and some work, LED strips.

Sherwood ,i will do the road test with pictures then i could give you the address where i bought them.The pattern on the Hella H 4 lights is nice Euro style ,high to the sidewalk and flat to the road.I do also like the H5 style ,like a long mushroom on the road..

George K..my 911 is registered in France and there believe me are very anal and tough on Kontrol Technique of the 911 -i passed with LED H4 lights,thou .

ivan

Last edited by proporsche; 12-26-2019 at 10:16 AM..
Old 12-26-2019, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Dick,

I LOL’d at your post. You are so right.

Trucks are obviously popular where I live. In the last few years LED light bars are increasingly popular. Just like the “how much bass” fad, the latest fad is one-upmanship of how much light can be fitted to the front of the truck.

Some of these drivers use their lights to intimidate other drivers. They ride up behind another car and then flip them all on until the car gets out of their way.

None of this stuff is regulated in the US. Probably 90-95% of the things that are the most hazardous aspects of driving are ignored. I see massively jacked up trucks all the time. So much for bumper height mandates. I think I told the story here before when I was at a tire store and a lady with a BMW thought they were trying to rip her off. I overheard the conversation. The manager was pleading with her that she needed new brakes. He was trying to tell her that her car was not safe to drive. She wouldn’t hear it. I offered to look at it for her as an objective witness. There was no brake pad left at all. The backing plates were scoring the rotors. I have heard stories like that but never seen anything like that in my life. I like my freedom as much as anyone else. And any organization that is charged with enforcement/oversight can become over-zealous, but sometimes I think we have it wrong here in the US. When other people are inept and it has the potential to end my life or the life of people in my family, then maybe restrictions are a good thing. If you don’t have functioning brakes, your car should not be on the road. Period.

The only reason speeding laws are enforced is because the technology exists to make enforcement feasible and relatively easy. The local news did a story this year and a surprising number of municipalities in Georgia have over 50% of their revenue from speeding fines.

It’s not about what’s in the public good... it’s about what makes $$$.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Dicklague..that is correct a a little crazy i know i lived in CA for 27 years;-) CA is always worrying about emission but what is actually driving on the roads, nobody cares.Once i had a 911 in the shop ,it came from Russia--all CA legal and guess what it was so rusty the whole car had two railroad tracks-irons welded under the body so it doesn't bend. Again it had a clean pink slip.This 911 did made it to Siberia and back to civilization..Then it was bought some person in the USA.
So back to the lights..i personally do not drive at night at all no reason, but it drove me nuts in Europe, some countries you have to have daytime running lights.I did not want to have the lights on all the time so i did the research about the LED`s. After, i did my own daytime light .On the picture you can see them on the front rubber bumper piece.That costed me 6 bucks and some work, LED strips.

Sherwood ,i will do the road test with pictures then i could give you the address where i bought them.The pattern on the Hella H 4 lights is nice Euro style ,high to the sidewalk and flat to the road.I do also like the H5 style ,like a long mushroom on the road..

George K..my 911 is registered in France and there believe me are very anal and tough on Kontrol Technique of the 911 -i passed with LED H4 lights,thou .

ivan
Interested in learning about your bulb supplier too.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 12-26-2019, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
tdw..yes no problem it is ofcourse in China as i said..but right now i want really do the picture as John asked......just the stupid winter is here.Once is a little dry outside i do the set up on the road at night..
Ivan
Old 12-26-2019, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
So many repeated misunderstandings about replacement bulbs for both home and automotive use. Simply choose a bulb with the right color, illumination, and beam type for your use and you can use LED replacement bulbs without issue.

1. Choose 2700k - 3000k (soft white) not the stupid 6500k (daylight-K-Mart blue light specials). The daylight bulbs cause your irises to snap shut restricting your peripheral view as well as blinding oncoming traffic.
https://www.google.com/search?q=2700k+automotive+LED&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=firefox-b-1-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi1x8f9ptTmAhXQup4KHSX1CA8QsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1280&bih=609#imgrc=jD_wUUzLhra3EM:

2. Choose a similarly rated low beam output in lumens (1000-2000). You want to stay partially dark adapted while driving and doubling your headlight output works against that.

3. Choose a similar beam pattern to your OEM bulbs. A headlight fixture simply focuses the light source into a collimated beam so it is important that the LED is located precisely at the same position as the halogen filament. Sometimes this is not a given but a before/after beam test will confirm that you installed them correctly with the low beam down. Often it is easy to install them inverted putting the low beam too high. Adjust as needed and re-test so the beam is no higher than OEM.

That is all there is to this game. Carry on with your regular programming.

Last edited by Cajundaddy; 12-27-2019 at 06:53 AM..
Old 12-26-2019, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Light cutoff is also a function of the optics of the glass that directs the light rays. Could be these LED bulbs are more compatible with the Bosch H4 glass than other designs.

FWIW, I've noticed that the vintage (and NLA) Cibie Z-Beam H4 headlights had better light output and sharper cutoff limits than the replacement Bosch H4 headlight assemblies (bulb + reflector + glass) I purchased as an "upgrade".

Sherwood
Old 12-26-2019, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Any 993 options?
Old 12-26-2019, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Could be these LED bulbs are more compatible with the Bosch H4 glass than other designs.

Sherwood[/QUOTE]

this is a good point ..i have the Euro H4 Hella headlights not Bosch..as i have mentioned

Ivan
Old 12-26-2019, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaudette3 View Post
Gomez...

Lighting for Porsches is my trade. I think it's an important safety issue for Porsche drivers in particular as we're sometimes tempted to drive a little too fast. It's very easy to out-drive your headlights in a high performance car. Also, I live in Central Oregon and this area is full of night-time critters roaming around. I don't know one fellow Porsche driver here that hasn't had at least one encounter with a deer.

To be responsible in this business I have to be as informed as possible - and that takes time, a lot of time.

Cheers,
John
No intention of insulting just pulling your leg.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
"beam pattern" projected against a wall / garage door.

Frank..if you referring to peeps as to me? I do not know but imagine some of us have been around the Porsche 911 for many many years ...... ..
The garage door was use as a sample due to the bad weather..........
Or are you referring to the PCA garage door tests..or John`s posted pictures????......

[snip]
Ivan,

Yes, a lot of us have a lot of experience.

Regardless, I'm just saying that the engineering required to do lighting correctly is so monumental that slapping a pair of Chinese made retrofit "bulbs" in a housing they weren't engineered for and having them work (good enough anyway) is a happy accident at best. I'm glad it works for you and so many others.

Anyway, for those interested in some light (pun intended) reading...

https://www.hella.com/techworld/us/Technical/Automotive-lighting/Headlights-219/

Light distribution and Isolux diagrams: https://www.hella.com/truck/en/trucker/Light-distributions-1553.html

For those interested in aiming techniques...

https://www.jwspeaker.com/blog/how-to-aim-headlights-driving-beam-or-high-beam-headlights/

Good luck out there!
WTB / ISO: G50 911 M491 Coupe or Targa
Old 12-27-2019, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Frank.....
Old 12-27-2019, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Thanks Frank. I was just getting ready to notify SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) and RPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) that they were wasting a lot of time and money on their testing. All they have to do is check out this thread.

Cheers,
John

Old 12-27-2019, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Here’s an expert and informative post on this topic:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/why-leds-should-not-be-run-in-halogen-reflectors.454371/#post-13377858

Cheers,
John

Old 12-27-2019, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: