Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wipers Won't Turn Off

So I was doing some electrical testing on my windshield washer pump on my '70 911E and after I was done, my wipers will not turn off no matter what position the wiper assembly switch is on. They do change speed but no intermittent and no off. I was thinking that since they don't turn off, it has to be the switch but after doing some searching on the forum, it seems it could be the relays. Anyone have any suggestions where to start first and how to test?

Thanks

Chris

Old 01-03-2020, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Not an electrical guru by any means. I would cut power to car then hook battery back up. If that doesn't work isolate wiper wiring and work your way back to the fuse and relays. Would help to have a good meter with continuity and wiring diagram/ flow chart.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Move to the Pacific North West?

I would suggest that you have a wire installed in the wrong position after testing.
A good colour wiring diagram and start looking.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

So I actually didn't disconnect anything and it was working before the testing began. My car was missing the windshield washer tank and I installed a new one and wanted to test the electrical contentions at the pump. That's when I think I shorted something out.

So I bit of an update though. I disconnected the 6-prong connector at the fire wall from the steering column wiper assembly. Powered the ignition back on and the wipers still run. Since the wiper switch is disconnected and the wipers still run, wouldn't that point to the relay?

Chris
Old 01-04-2020, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
That is possible.
Does pulling the fuse stop the wiper motor?
Maybe it is getting power from a different source.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes the fuse does stop the wipers. I also disconnected one of the relays and that stopped everything as well.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Wipers.

Is the intermittent wiper knob completely CCW?

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 01-04-2020, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

This is a '70 so there is no knob. Just 4 positions on the steering column: off, intermittent, normal and fast.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Wipers.

The issue is most likely the switch contacts in the steering column.
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 01-04-2020, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Chris, you could only go driving when it's raining, that way it's not a problem but an enhancement.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: