Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

VIN Decoding...

Finally getting around to doing some real research to figure out the origin of my 1985 911. Iím guessing most will say to order a PPS formerly known as a COA. Not sure if they provide the information they once did. Also reached out to Norbert through Turbo Look registry but he was a little snappy about me not paying anything. I just donít want to pay for something if I donít know what I am going to get in return and if I will get the information I am looking for.

Would like to know.
What should the matching engine/transaxle numbers be for my VIN.
What were some of the options at the time of build. (Decal under hood only shows COO)

I looked up 911specs.com and my VIN falls within the ďTurbo LookĒ model.

But I have no M491 one option code stamped anywhere. Also I donít have turbo brake calipers.

Some have said that there was a year or two where they were not stamped with M491 and some years or where a special order could be very specific like not ordering with turbo brake calipers.

Not sure. Any experts on here offer any advice???

Last edited by hamkj; 01-08-2020 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: Pics didnít attach
Old 01-08-2020, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Analog Air Cooled

Garage
If your buy a Porsche dealer, give them the vin and see what they have. The online part manuals they have states every code and option.

I did this and I got about 9-11 option codes that are not on my white sticker.

It’s how I found. Y tail and front spoiler are original..
Old 01-08-2020, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
WHOOPS, Just read you already tried Norbet's site. Sorry.
Yes, some cars in the 84-85 range reportedly did not have the option tag on the underside of the hood.

Do your rear calipers hang off the BACK of the rear rotors? If yes, then you likely have a real M491. if not, then you'll probably have to open up the wallet. Let's hope you get positive news from Norbert or PNA. It is possible a PO pulled the turbo calipers and sold them off or even the entire trailing arm assembly and replaced them with narrow bodied arms. The latter is not likely because it would require changes to where the arms mount to the torsion tube.

The "special wishes" route is a long, tough road to figure out. I know of a car with pretty airtight documentation with regards to its factory widebody options that is completely ignored by the collector community. Good luck.

Let us know what you find out.

1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)

Last edited by tdw28210; 01-09-2020 at 05:24 AM..
Old 01-09-2020, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: