Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
pulling wiring harness through tunnel

Time to reinstall the wiring harness in my 79 SC.

Been over a year since I took it out but I remember it was a serious pain. I have 3 bundles of wires. (pictured below)
1. The main harness
2. The thick gauge wire that goes from battery to starter
3. 2 smaller wires, one that goes from front to AC and one for the cruise control

Any tips or suggestions on getting this all back through? Bundle it all together or try it seperately? Im concerned all bundled together it wont all fit but then again if I try it seperately I wont be able to get the second bundle through. I known it is tight.

Edit - I messaged with Dennis (timmy2) and he responded while typing this. He recommended bundling 1 and 3 together and doing the battery cable as a separate pull because it comes out a different hole. Sound like solid advice. Anyone else please feel free to chine in.

Last edited by wareaglescott; 01-08-2020 at 03:18 PM..
Old 01-08-2020, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

its best to pull a string IN when you pull something like that out.

haven't stripped a car down since I built a 914-6 back in the 90's but maybe try a fish tape in with string to pull each one one at a time. pull in enough to pull the string back.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 01-08-2020, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I have a wire placed in there from when I pulled it out.
I went ahead and pulled cable 2 through as Dennis suggested. Now I will pair the other wires and try to get them through with my existing pull wire. That is going to be the difficult one!!
Old 01-08-2020, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Dennis is the Man

Dennis has done what you are trying to do countless times. He knows what he is doing. We are all thankful for our "car guy friends" and fellow Pelican's that have taken the time to reach out to us and Dennis goes above and beyond the call of friendship and I for one appreciate it.

Old 01-08-2020, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: