Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
3.2ish free flow exhuast

This is just for 's and giggles'. I'll have to post a sound clip when it gets warmer.

1987 Cab, 3.5 LN jugs, 9.5:1 JE pistons, twin plugged, 8-10 psi supercharged, and other stuff. Had a set of Dansk SSI's used just for winter heat. Never mind the primary is too restrictive, the secondary is 2" which just makes things worse, and it was running into a Dansk 2 in 2 out .

So, cut off the secondaries, weld on 2.5" and run that through independent 21" 2.5" glass packs, one for each bank. All just an exercise in welding. In case you wondered how loud? Could have just run open headers and it would be the same ding. Now shopping Amazon for deal on Noise Cancelling Headphones. But, it does rev up quicker, lol.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Pretty slick.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2020, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Nice Charlie. I can hear it from my house... sounds good.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver/Black/Anthracite 930s.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

If you want it to be a little quieter try extending the tailpipes a couple of inches past the bumper.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Got a chance to record a quick sound clip in the shop before I started working on plan B.

So the objective was to have heat and better flow.
The best flow with the SSI's choking everything was the 2.5" secondaries after the merge to separate "mufflers". The 'mufflers' we tried were simply straight through
2.5" ID glass packs approximately 18" long. This is 1 step above open headers.
I can say, and no dyno needed, she did rev quickly (even though our ign advance is conservative), and she did pull like a crazy lady at top end. But... you cannot stand near the car never mind drive it with this test exhaust system.

Exhaust Video
Old 02-08-2020, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The video is set to private.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
I just changed the publish date from tomorrow to today.
try it again
Old 02-08-2020, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
That’s a sound I’d love to hear fly-by, but hate/hate to live with. Is it still in this configuration?
Old 05-16-2020, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

When I turn the volume up or down, it gets louder or softer. A reference dB number would communicate better - a suggestion for all “sound” threads.

But I get the idea. Bigger muffler(s).

Sherwood
Old 05-16-2020, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yeah, db ratings would be interesting but you would need to develop standards.

So, I took the complete glass back system off, simply too loud no matter if the power gain is worth it. Its for sale if you want buy.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
So, my objective was to have a free-flowing system, not particularly tuned to a given rpm or load; could do that another day. Anyway, a free-flowing system using 2.5" immediately after the collector and into the muffler that is not too loud and does not kill power.

So I cut off the narrow inlets on my Dansk 2 in 2 out. And, I noticed Dansk uses 2.5" through the insides between the baffles! What a piece of luck! Opened up the exterior can, welded in 2.5" and routed that back to the V bands at the collector. Now I can use my SSI' heater boxes in the winter and run my 1.75" RSR headers with the same muffler in the summer.

I'm used to the sound of the Dansk 2x2, and in terms of power, it does not really take that much off.

Took it out for a 3 hour joy ride on the back roads and a piece of highway. This is the perfect set up for me.

Old 05-16-2020, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Looks nice

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2020, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuehl View Post
Yeah, db ratings would be interesting but you would need to develop standards.

So, I took the complete glass back system off, simply too loud no matter if the power gain is worth it. Its for sale if you want buy.
A decibal is a standard reference for measuring sound pressure levels.

While most not lab certified, there are several cell phone dB apps. Some are more accurate than others. There's no other way to communicate loudness level unless everyone had a standard fixed volume setting on their playback device.

If you measured the dB level from a repeatable distance and height and recorded a video, viewers could adjust the video audio playback level on their cell app to the same level and get a more accurate idea.

I measured a live 110dB rating of an equiv. RSR at the LB Gran Prix couple years ago (it hurts). When someone plays it back on their device, it can sound like a Singer sewing machine or a Space Shuttle at take off - via their volume control.

Sherwood
Old 05-16-2020, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If you measured the dB level from a repeatable distance and height and recorded a video, viewers could adjust the video audio playback level on their cell app to the same level and get a more accurate idea. Sherwood

Yup, and none in tunnels, against walls, etc

Old 05-16-2020, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: