Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Fuchs 15inch brake options

Hi all,

I know that this topic has been discussed ad nausea.

But I cant find a true solution.

I currently have non boosted brakes, with 3.2 calipers on with a motor pumping 300hp on 15inch ****s which I use on tarmac rallies.

This car does not stop where I want it to, and any attempt to try brake where I should, results in the car to keep going in a straight line, then I have to dump it into engine brake and get in a spin to stop. This is done not to run over people/marshalls. hehe.

Ive been reading the forum and people have mentioned using boxster calipers.

However lets say budget is no problem, I literally need the ultimate, a google search isn't pointing me in the right direction.

So please, name or pm vendors, and if I should maybe install a brake booster (again name or pm vendors) He who can supply a whole package get my monies.

Im fed up of not stopping and being the gift that keeps on giving.

Much love

Old 01-14-2020, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I would rather be driving
 
jpnovak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 7,972
930 brake calipers F/R. rear calipers need to be modified for 3" mounting holes on your trailing arms.
930 rotors front and rear with proper rotor hats on the front.

23mm MC to supply enough fluid for the extra pistons in your new brakes.

Done.



Boxster brakes will increase braking torque due to larger pads but uses the same rotors as the 3.2 Carrera brakes you currently have. There is no increase in thermal capacity.

I want to know why you can't stop short enough. Is this brake compound? Pad grip? overheating? wheel lockup? single wheel lockup? The 3.2 brakes up front are usually very good. I tracked a set of a long time without any issues. Just needed proper pads and some cooling ducts.
__________________
Jamie - I can explain it to you. But I can not understand it for you.
71 911T SWT - Sun and Fun Mobile
72 911T project car. "Minne" - A tangy version of tangerine
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 01-14-2020, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Its actually not a heating issue, its more a cold bite issue our stages are like time trials 50-70seconds long and we don't get enough heat in the brakes.

I use Ferrodo DS2500, which have the best cold bite.

so I actually need more "clamping" power, the lack of heat is my biggest enemy.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2020, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I would rather be driving
 
jpnovak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 7,972
I like the Ferrodo DS2500. They are on both my cars. But they need a little heat to work best.

What other pads have you experimented with?

How much does the car weigh? What wheel/tire setup are you running?
__________________
Jamie - I can explain it to you. But I can not understand it for you.
71 911T SWT - Sun and Fun Mobile
72 911T project car. "Minne" - A tangy version of tangerine
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 01-14-2020, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Cory M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,047
Sounds like your application is more like an autocross than a racetrack. This will be an interesting discussion because most of brake upgrades (930, Stoptech, Brembo, etc) are designed to increase the thermal capacity of the system so it doesn't overheat. I agree with jpnovak, while they aren't sexy the stock Carrera brakes are very capable with good pads and fluid. You could size down to SC or mid year brakes, which are the same diameter but thinner than the Carrera parts so they'll heat up a little sooner. If you want more initial bite or grab adding the power booster would help, you may lose some sensitivity and modulation.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,183
agree with the booster comment -- even cold, standing on my (boosted) Carrera brake pedal will lock up wheels --
Old 01-14-2020, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnovak View Post
I like the Ferrodo DS2500. They are on both my cars. But they need a little heat to work best.

What other pads have you experimented with?

How much does the car weigh? What wheel/tire setup are you running?
Approx 1100kg, wheels dont know by heart but appropriate for 255 and 210 pirelli (also do for a change, but that is a different post)

No i haven't experimented with other pads, cause from my other cars i would not change ferrodo.

Last edited by Chassis87; 01-14-2020 at 11:28 AM..
Old 01-14-2020, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory M View Post
Sounds like your application is more like an autocross than a racetrack. This will be an interesting discussion because most of brake upgrades (930, Stoptech, Brembo, etc) are designed to increase the thermal capacity of the system so it doesn't overheat. I agree with jpnovak, while they aren't sexy the stock Carrera brakes are very capable with good pads and fluid. You could size down to SC or mid year brakes, which are the same diameter but thinner than the Carrera parts so they'll heat up a little sooner. If you want more initial bite or grab adding the power booster would help, you may lose some sensitivity and modulation.

Any idea from where i can get me a power booster?
Old 01-14-2020, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
agree with the booster comment -- even cold, standing on my (boosted) Carrera brake pedal will lock up wheels --
Very good to hear!!
Old 01-14-2020, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Are 930 calipers bigger then 3.2 calipers?

Isnt there an aftermarket for brake kits under 15 inch like wilwood, ap, or the other major players.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2020, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Cory M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chassis87 View Post
Any idea from where i can get me a power booster?
Depends on the year of your car. If you have an SC or Carrera you should be able to just bolt in the factory parts (from your user name I assumed you had an 87..)
Old 01-14-2020, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,183
930s originally shipped standard with 15x7 / 15x8 Fuchs, so while the 930 calipers are bigger, they were designed/intended to fit under 15" fuchs.

That said, seems a boosted MC is likely the best solution for your issue
Old 01-14-2020, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
 
Moderator
 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 23,630
Garage
Front brake torque @70bar line pressure for
A or S 1444n-m
Boxster on C3.2 rotor 1815n-m
930 1961 n-m
You get the most bang for the led effort from 930s

You do want to do both for and rear for bias and use a 23.8mm m/c for the best pedal

There are calipers that give you more like 993RS @ 2306n-m but they won't fit under 15s

The limiting mechanism is the tires, any of the above are capable of locking the tires especially if used artlessly
__________________
Bill Verburg
'76 Carrera 3.6RS(nee C3/hotrod), '95 993RS/CS(clone)
| Pelican Home |Rennlist Wheels |Rennlist Brakes |
Old 01-14-2020, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 345
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chassis87 View Post
Are 930 calipers bigger then 3.2 calipers?

Isnt there an aftermarket for brake kits under 15 inch like wilwood, ap, or the other major players.

Thanks
There is a Stoptech P-car kit for 15" wheels, but about the same price as 930 brakes based on prices I've seen for a good set of 930 caplipers plus the rotors, hats, etc...

Bill
Old 01-14-2020, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory M View Post
Depends on the year of your car. If you have an SC or Carrera you should be able to just bolt in the factory parts (from your user name I assumed you had an 87..)
haha no no I was born in the 80's, car is a swb 68, but I had changed the struts for the 3.2 calipers
Old 01-14-2020, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
Front brake torque @70bar line pressure for
A or S 1444n-m
Boxster on C3.2 rotor 1815n-m
930 1961 n-m
You get the most bang for the led effort from 930s

You do want to do both for and rear for bias and use a 23.8mm m/c for the best pedal

There are calipers that give you more like 993RS @ 2306n-m but they won't fit under 15s

The limiting mechanism is the tires, any of the above are capable of locking the tires especially if used artlessly
So 930 it is....and from where do I find these please together with master cylinder?

Do I also need to change discs, or can I use the one's I have?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2020, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 23,630
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chassis87 View Post
So 930 it is....and from where do I find these please together with master cylinder?

Do I also need to change discs, or can I use the one's I have?

Thanks
yes, you need rotors and discs it's a system
a pile of parts


front


assembled front



original rear is trailing 3.5" mounts which need to be machined for leading 3" front mount on a 911

stock rear bottom, modified rear top


additionally if you buy '87 up rears the fluid intake will need to be modified






for a non boosted car you need an ATE ports left m/s

It's best to buy a kit which includes the m/c actuating rod anfluid feed lines and fittings


__________________
Bill Verburg
'76 Carrera 3.6RS(nee C3/hotrod), '95 993RS/CS(clone)
| Pelican Home |Rennlist Wheels |Rennlist Brakes |

Last edited by Bill Verburg; 01-14-2020 at 02:26 PM..
Old 01-14-2020, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,183
Still think you only need a boosted MC -- If I got in my '86 Carrera now, immediately drove it to 30mph and slammed on the (still stone cold) brakes, I'd lock up my front wheels immediately and be backing off to modulate. You should be able to do exactly the same thing with stock calipers/disks -and your limitation appears to be stemming from a lack of vacuum assist. While 930 calipers and a 930=compatible master cylinder will get you to the same place, the primary benefit of 930 calipers and disks (yes, yo will need to change disks too -- this gets $$$$) is fade resistance.

Recommending a specific MC for your application and retrofitting vacuum assist to your early SWB car is beyond my (very limited) scope of knowledge -- but others should be able to easily chime in -- and get your desired result (increased stopping power, not increased fade resistance) for a lot less $$$$ than a 930 brake retrofit
Old 01-14-2020, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 23,630
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
Still think you only need a boosted MC -- If I got in my '86 Carrera now, immediately drove it to 30mph and slammed on the (still stone cold) brakes, I'd lock up my front wheels immediately and be backing off to modulate. You should be able to do exactly the same thing with stock calipers/disks -and your limitation appears to be stemming from a lack of vacuum assist. While 930 calipers and a 930=compatible master cylinder will get you to the same place, the primary benefit of 930 calipers and disks (yes, yo will need to change disks too -- this gets $$$$) is fade resistance.

Recommending a specific MC for your application and retrofitting vacuum assist to your early SWB car is beyond my (very limited) scope of knowledge -- but others should be able to easily chime in -- and get your desired result (increased stopping power, not increased fade resistance) for a lot less $$$$ than a 930 brake retrofit
It's a fairly complicated procedure to add a vacuum booster to a non boosted 911
__________________
Bill Verburg
'76 Carrera 3.6RS(nee C3/hotrod), '95 993RS/CS(clone)
| Pelican Home |Rennlist Wheels |Rennlist Brakes |
Old 01-14-2020, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
Still think you only need a boosted MC -- If I got in my '86 Carrera now, immediately drove it to 30mph and slammed on the (still stone cold) brakes, I'd lock up my front wheels immediately and be backing off to modulate. You should be able to do exactly the same thing with stock calipers/disks -and your limitation appears to be stemming from a lack of vacuum assist. While 930 calipers and a 930=compatible master cylinder will get you to the same place, the primary benefit of 930 calipers and disks (yes, yo will need to change disks too -- this gets $$$$) is fade resistance.

Recommending a specific MC for your application and retrofitting vacuum assist to your early SWB car is beyond my (very limited) scope of knowledge -- but others should be able to easily chime in -- and get your desired result (increased stopping power, not increased fade resistance) for a lot less $$$$ than a 930 brake retrofit
Darrin I feel you completely, I'm also contemplating on the power brake option.

Was reading a post on how to do...seems complex for my knowledge too.

Old 01-14-2020, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:48 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.