Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Roll Bars

Searched the forum pretty extensively today to find a thread on Roll Bars.
Specifically those that have been used in street applications.

What I would like to find out is what manufactures are true bolt in and of those who's fits the best. I am interested in what connection points the bolt in bars utilize.

Pic's would be great if you have them. If another thread exist I apologize for this one.... A link would be appreciated.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Heigo appear to be the industry standard in Europe.I just managed to snare an Aluminium one at a good price.Its beautiful.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Questions on roll-bar, seats, harnesses - DAS Sport
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 01-23-2020, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG81 View Post
Searched the forum pretty extensively today to find a thread on Roll Bars.
Specifically those that have been used in street applications.

What I would like to find out is what manufactures are true bolt in and of those who's fits the best. I am interested in what connection points the bolt in bars utilize.

Pic's would be great if you have them. If another thread exist I apologize for this one.... A link would be appreciated.
Stick built by a guy that knows what he's doing will be best, it'll fit best, weight least and be least intrusive
Old 01-23-2020, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
Stick built by a guy that knows what he's doing will be best, it'll fit best, weight least and be least intrusive
^

Bill I absolutely agree.... Just need to find someone.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
^ True. I searched for a year for a bar that met my needs and preferences. None existed.

Luckily, I was near Autopower years ago in San Diego. I gave them the plans for what I had in mind and they supplied me with what I wanted.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 01-23-2020, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I had a bolt in cage in my 85 911 and it will now go into my 930 project.

it is from SafteyDevices in the UK. it uses plates to be welded to the box frame areas and then the cage bolts to those plates. since my 911 was and my 930 will be street/track, preferred the ability to remove the front section of the cage for the street.

I recently posted some pics of this on another thread.

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1048605-questions-roll-bar-seats-harnesses-das-sport.html
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
^

Bill I absolutely agree.... Just need to find someone.
Not sure but I would imagine lawyers have a lot of fabricators thinking twice before building a roll cage for a customer.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
I’m unsure of the need for a rollbar in a street application unless it’s a cabriolet. I think they’re meant to be used with helmets.
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 01-24-2020, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpmulvan View Post
Not sure but I would imagine lawyers have a lot of fabricators thinking twice before building a roll cage for a customer.
^
I'm thinking a fabricator (guy working out of his garage) will have zero product liability insurance.....without that carrot a lawyer won't give it a moment notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Stands View Post
I’m unsure of the need for a rollbar in a street application unless it’s a cabriolet. I think they’re meant to be used with helmets.
^
To each their own......This has zero to do with need.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
I'm the original poster in that thread.

I went with the DAS Sport roll-bar because it is the only "true" bolt-in option on the market. It does not require drilling any holes or the use of re-enforcement plates.

I spoke with owners of cars with the DAS Sport roll-bar as well as roll-bars from Safety Devices and AGI. The products from Safety Devices and AGI require drilling, enforcement plates, and more than one owner ended up welding it after the fact.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locker537 View Post

I went with the DAS Sport roll-bar
^
Locker, thank you. That is the info I was wanting to hear.

Fitment was good? I would appreciate a pic or two if you have time.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

My Targa is an ex race/autocross car. The cage in it is awesome, probably heavy, welded in with hop-over door bars. Super stiff chassis on the road.

Overkill for a street car. I've looked at cutting it out many times, but it's a thing of beauty.I tried to rotate the image, but you get the picture.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
^
Locker, thank you. That is the info I was wanting to hear.

Fitment was good? I would appreciate a pic or two if you have time.
I will be installing it soon!

Colin at DAS Sport was great to deal with. He sent the roll-bar out for powdercoat and then shipped it to me. I had it roughly 2 weeks from time of order.

It was packaged well when delivered.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
^
Excellent !!! I hope all goes well with the install.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Thanks! I need to investigate the hardware to attach the front legs to the rockers.

I'd like to retain the use of the stock 3 point belts in addition to the 6 point harnesses I am installing, and the stock seat belt bolts have a shoulder on them to allow the seat belt to pivot.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locker537 View Post
I'd like to retain the use of the stock 3 point belts
^
Definitely a priority for me too........
Old 01-24-2020, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
83 911SC Cab

I purchased second hand DAS bar for my 83SCab. Fit perfect, factory belts and or 5 points and very street friendly.

•Bye Bye back seat. Who cares!
•Creative unzipping method with older Cab top. P
Method perfected!
•Looks just right!
•52lbs +/- No worries, removed more than that from interior already!

Old 01-24-2020, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Bomb View Post
I purchased second hand DAS bar for my 83SCab. Fit perfect, factory belts and or 5 points and very street friendly.

•Bye Bye back seat. Who cares!
•Creative unzipping method with older Cab top. P
Method perfected!
•Looks just right!
•52lbs +/- No worries, removed more than that from interior already!

Cherry Bomb, could you snap a picture of the roll-bar to rocker attachment and show the hardware used? Does the stock 3 point belt still rotate down there as it's suppose to?
Old 01-24-2020, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I went with the Autopower bolt-in roll bar for my '72 track day toy. It does require drilling through the floor behind the front seats and on the rear inner fenders. I do like the fact that it has a rather large rectangular footprint in both locations, along with large backing plates that go under the floor and on the outsides of the inner fenders. The feet can be alternately welded in place. Either way, it is fully SCCA certified if installed per the manufacturer's instructions.

Both the diagonal brace and the horizontal, mid level bar are removable with one bolt each at their respective ends, leaving just the main hoop. This is a big boon if you ever want to put stuff in the rear seats, like luggage for a road trip or something.

The main hoop is well behind the driver's and passenger's heads, absolutely negating the "need" for a helmet on the street. That, and the corner radii are much sharper than many other roll bars, especially any "period correct" bars with the huge corner radii. Just follow someone running one of those - their head sticks out well above it, pretty much negating any real safety benefit. The Autopower has such "square" corners that it actually extends far enough outboard to provide meaningful protection, as opposed to merely adding "bling". It really hugs the roof and the "B" pillars far more closely than other off the shelf roll bars.

I'll go ahead and snap some pics so you can get a better look at it. I've perused my computer and don't see any decent shots of it or the install, so I'll try to get some tomorrow for you.

"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 01-24-2020, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: