Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

69 911 restoration advice

Hi All, I've been restoring (with the help of a solid shop) a 69' 911 I pulled out of a garage about 4-5 months ago.

We've replaced the fuel system, worked out some electrical problems including replacing lots of wiring and fuse blocks, and rebuilt PMO carbs, fixed timing etc. The car is basically drivable again, or very close to that. Next step will be paint and body work.

My questions for the forum:

I live in California, would it be smart to look to Nevada or out of state for a high quality paint job? I want to take it back to factory Tangerine Orange (it's black now ontop of the Orange). I'd also like to flair the fenders a bit and put some larger wheels on it to handle the 3.0L motor that was put in the car by the previous owner. Given that it's not a numbers matching car already, I think keeping it with the "resto-mod" look and build is smart.

My understanding is that I'm looking at 25-30k in body and paint work (my mechanic is great and connected me with his local paint guy who is doing his personal car, that was the price range he gave ben depending on the scope of the work). After the car is painted it'll have to be put together and finished off properly, that I was told could take another 8-10 months and run me another 20-30k depending on what we find and what we decide to upgrade.

I understand California is expensive, I'm about 3 hours from Reno and I've got a truck that can tow a trailer, so don't mind a drive if it's worth it.

That all being said, I am leaning in the direction of going with my guy's recommendation, the body/paint shop he recommends (Spectacular auto works in Oakland) seems to have done several similar cars and the work looks very solid.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

might be the wrong sub-forum for this one, I'll move to body and paint! sorry.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911 , california , paint , project , restoration