Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The Diamondback back by Little Switzerland is another great road.

The Diamondback – NC 226A

05 Jetta GLI
Old 02-10-2020, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Eva

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerlot View Post
Never been to one, but I see they select the cars to display. When is that done, on-site or during some earlier online submission?

Are there displays or events that weekend that don't involve a chosen few, like for driver quality cars and participants?
I'm assuming it's a pre-registry and selection process...

Might as well hit them up https://luftgekuhlt.com/

"The car has been the cave wall on which Industrial Man has painted his longings and desires." -Eddie Alterman-
Old 02-11-2020, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911SauCy View Post

Yeah, I'm on their "first to know" list. Their website is pretty sparse on details. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I’m going. Just a sick call away from a weekend off from work.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911SauCy View Post

For the first few shows in LA, it was just arrive and park at the venue.

As the show got bigger, you started to have to buy tickets in advance; there were tickets to be in the show, and tickets for an adjacent satellite aircooled-only lot. I think both sold out.

The last couple events only have had one ticket to purchase if you wanted to park/show your car, but those tickets always sold out. Like in 48 hours. You even had to submit a profile/pic of your car last year, and wait for an acceptance. There were separate spectator tickets (parking at satellite lot) if you weren't able to secure one of the show-your-car spots. I think even those sold out.

But send them your email, and they'll let you know when they open up ticket sales.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimoto View Post
600 miles one way for me, so a bit on the fence on whether to take the 84 and make an adventure of it.

Having never attended Luft, Iím wondering if itís really worth having your car there if itís not in the event? Would I end up spending all day looking at other cars instead of enjoying mine, or are there other things to do that make it worthwhile?
Definitely. The past two years that I've driven out to LA, the Luft show was just the nucleus for the Porsche people coming together. There were drives, and rallies and parties and dinners. In 2018 we didn't know ANYONE and we made a 5200 mile round trip. In 2019 we were hanging out and driving with people all week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicykiller View Post
I'm seriously thinking about doing a cross country drive out to this. Any other west coasters as crazy as I am? Might drive back too (or more likely ship the car back) depending... still in the early stages of planning. Who else?!
I shipped mine home last year and deeply regretted it. I missed out on stuff happening the day after and severely missed the drive home. Jumping on a plane the next morning ended the trip way too fast for me. I'm not leaving NC until Tuesday this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtrorkt View Post
Scottsdale. Anyone starting from the left coast?
If you're coming the direct route which is I40 you'll be coming straight through Arkansas. We're headed out Thursday morning and driving to Nashville to hangout with some Porsche people at Barista Parlor Coffee. Landing in Durham in time for Friday night festivities

Quote:
Never been to one, but I see they select the cars to display. When is that done, on-site or during some earlier online submission?

Are there displays or events that weekend that don't involve a chosen few, like for driver quality cars and participants?
Hell yes, I showed up the last two years with 2000 miles worth of dirt still on my car. Pat prefers the cars be driven, not polished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirwin View Post
For those coming from afar to this event, make sure you plan on driving the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway!
Planning on meeting some Knoxville locals on the Dragon. It's only an "hour out of the way" according to Google. Challenge accepted.
www.instagram.com/patrickossenkop
www.instagram.com/drive_oz
Old 02-11-2020, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Now the fun part...my guess for this year's venue is the American Tobacco Campus. Looking through some pics on Google, it's kinda got the vibe, plus this years logo color scheme looks like a nod to the old Lucky Strike livery.

Anyone else have some thoughts?
Instagram: @msmall90 and @zuffenphilly
Old 02-11-2020, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Old 02-11-2020, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Merk View Post

There ya go...that 917 is $$$$
Instagram: @msmall90 and @zuffenphilly
Old 02-11-2020, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoni510 View Post
Luftgekult 7 will be held on the East Coast this year at Durham, North Carolina on May 29-31. Should be a great event. I will definitely be there to make the drive from Florida. Just wanted to know who else here is going and from what part of the country.
https://luftgekuhlt.com/
What?

I can't even spell it but I want to come, the drive from Florida arduous but doable, especially if all you guys are coming. Hmmm

Durham is one of my favorite places, a Bulls game always a treat.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed"

Silver 1984 M491 Sunroof Coupe
Old 02-12-2020, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Booked an airbnb in durham last night, just in case. They were renting fast. Going to try make it hell or high water.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

We are booked at Aloft, adjacent to the American Tobacco Campus so I hope that's the primary venue. Driving from MS to Atlanta/Alpharetta/Avalon area on Thursday then on to Durham Friday in case anyone coming along I-20 wants to join up.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I’m really excited for this. Going to make the drive from philly.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
can I ask anyone to organize me a sticker? please?
Old 02-13-2020, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

The event logo is printed with the 5-31-2020 date, but other information says it is 29 - 31 May.....does anyone have clarify on what is going on the other two days? Thank you
Old 02-14-2020, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73pcar View Post
The event logo is printed with the 5-31-2020 date, but other information says it is 29 - 31 May.....does anyone have clarify on what is going on the other two days? Thank you
From https://luftgekuhlt.com/l7-event-info
Quote:
Official activities around Luft 7 are scheduled to kick off on Friday the 29th of May. The energy will build through the weekend with a Saturday night pre-party and culminate with Sunday's show. Those who aren't heading immediately home can look forward to a mellow Sunday night to unwind, Luft style.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

The Aloft hotel and the nearby Marriott are sold out. If you want a room nearby, your options are narrowing...
Old 02-14-2020, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Flo - we'll grab you some swag!

There's a huge group of us coming from the upper midwest. We're meeting up with the guys driving in from the west coast for one day of Appalachian back road fun on the way into Durham. Details to follow, but most of us are staying at the Marriott or close by and I'm guessing it will be ground zero for our shenanigans. The more the merrier.

Feel free to follow us on IG or Facebook @Achtungkraft for updates.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:

There will be cars everywhere and Iím sure the 2 mojor hotel parking lots will be shows in themselves.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrolleyes View Post
There will be cars everywhere and I’m sure the 2 mojor hotel parking lots will be shows in themselves.
For our first trip to Luft in 2018, the "host hotel" was the Fairmont Marimar overlooking the Santa Monica Pier. I'm not a guy who has money. I work for someone else 55-62hrs a week, but I was convinced it was going to be a Luft style Porsche Party in a beautiful setting so I made reservations at $450/night.

We roll up in my ****box Carrera and there wasn't a Porsche in sight, and as a southern commoner, I was a fish out of water. They were going to charge me (at least) $50 to valet my car off-site! I convinced them to put their valet in the passenger seat and let me park my car in an (out of sight) on-site parking with like four other P-cars (all of them under cover.) The stay was not anything to write home about and the bar below our window kept me up late, as did the anticipation of the show on Sunday.

I had enough so Sunday morning we checked out (a day early) and parked our luggage behind the hotel desk so we could go to the show in Torrance. We had to back track to Santa Monica to pick up our luggage on our way out of town.

For 2019 I got an Airbnb with gated parking, right down the street from Race Service. The location was great for us.

20 minutes after the Luft7 email was sent out I called Aloft to inquire about parking, and was relieved that they had $10 self parking in their garage. I expect the garage to be crammed full of air-cooled goodness because they said they sold out immediately but were adding more rooms and would call me back. I reserved two separate king rooms for us and another couple.

Last edited by Mr. Merk; 02-14-2020 at 02:14 PM..
Old 02-14-2020, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: