Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
Turbo Tie Rod Question

I installed the Turbo Tie Rods on Sat. but have a couple questions as apparently they have changed design.

There is no castle nut and cotter pin on them. Just a locknut that does not work. Before the nut can be tightened down the bolt spins. This make it impossible to get it on an super tight.

I ended up reusing the old castle nut with no cotter pin as there is no hole for one in the new tie rods. I used some locktite blue and will fix install if necessary.

Is there a trick to the trade for the new design or is this a design flaw. I bought them from our host.

Any input is appreciated

Old 03-08-2020, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...

Maybe try giving some light taps to the rod end with a block of wood and hammer to seat it in the spindle. Might keep it from spinning while you tighten the nut.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Once you get the tie rod locked in place with your castle nut you should be able to remove the castle nut and install the new lock nut. The tie rod should be jammed in place and only removed with a pickle fork. Initially you could have used a "C" clamp to force the tie rod into place and then install the supplied lock nut.

Hope this helps,

Rahl
Old 03-08-2020, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
Seems like a design flaw to me but will give it a try. Also, the nut is tiny....why? there must be a reason. That nut has to get torqued down pretty hard.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 03-08-2020, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

A lot of members have expressed their displeasure with these kits the host sells. Lemforder brand I think. Too late for you now, but for what it's worth, you can get these kits through Chuck at Elephant racing with the castellated nuts and cotter pins/holes.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I just did this yesterday......
Place a jack under the tie rod and jack up so the tie rod is seated tightly. Secure bolt as required torque 33 ft . Release jack , easy !

2019 Audi S4
'76 911S '72 911T '73 1/2 911T '77 930 Turbo (all gone)

Last edited by stevie 77 930; 03-08-2020 at 05:15 PM..
Old 03-08-2020, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Use an impact wrench. Works like a charm.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Why such a tiny nut? Judging by how much force is required to get the parts separated I assumed it has to be torqued down pretty hard. That tiny nut just does not seem to be up for the job.

Chris
89 Carrera
Old 03-09-2020, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The Lemforder turbo tie rod kit I bought has the castellated nut with cotter pin. I wonder when and why they made the change. Steve 77 930 has the right idea with the jack under the tie rod end.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSIII View Post
A lot of members have expressed their displeasure with these kits the host sells. Lemforder brand I think. Too late for you now, but for what it's worth, you can get these kits through Chuck at Elephant racing with the castellated nuts and cotter pins/holes.
Thanks for the tip. Lemforder need to get back to where they were based on this feedback.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
I cant see the top of the post clearly, but is there a slot or an allen keyhole in the top so you could use a wrench to tighten the nut while holding the post from spinning like struts have?
Old 03-09-2020, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
there is an indention at the end of the bolt. Not an allen wrench receptacle. I had the same thought. Not sure why it there except to make it easier to use an extractor as apposed to the pickle fork.

Chris
Old 03-10-2020, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

i'm not sure how a castle nut and cotter pin achieves your objective of reaching correct torque without spinning where the new nut doesnt.
i would think both reach the same torque before the ball joint spins
2014 Audi A4 2.0T Technik (Audi Support Vehicle)
Old 03-10-2020, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
this is all just about the nut thickness-the tie rod end will go nowhere once is in place so don`t worry much about it......
but did you boys realized that the booth is a crap .I had older stock 930 kit and compare it to the new material on the rubber --you cannot compare it is total crap rubber stuff...i threw it away right away...

Ivan
Old 03-10-2020, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The boots seemed like good quality...pretty thick.

The castle nut screwed all the way on. The lock nut, as soon as the lock part engaged the bolt would spin the bolt. I am going to keep the castle nut no there with a generous amount of Locktite blue. will keep an eye on it.

Did take one turn at speed on the way to the alignment shop....felt good. More of a sports car feel, less of a Cadi feel.

Chris
Old 03-10-2020, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If the nut is your concern-really it will not get loose due to the down pressure on it - i suggest to you get the nylock .
Ivan
Old 03-10-2020, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

If you're concerned about the nut coming undone, you might just double nut the thing, with or without the nylock nut.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I think it's fine with the locktite. Initial concern was why the nut that came with the kit did not work. Did not think of the jack solution so went back to the old nuts. Still seems like a design flaw.

Chris

Old 03-11-2020, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: