Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Best 'spare' parts to buy?

Longtime lurker, and finally a poster. This may have been done before, but what are the best parts to have spares of for an old 911? My SC was pretty well sorted when I bought it a few years ago, and I don't really 'need' anything. Yet. So what are good things to keep an eye out for that I may need eventually 'down the road'?

Thanks in advance for any responses, and thanks to Pelican for hosting a great forum!

Old 03-19-2020, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
First thing that comes to mind is a CDI unit, then WUR
Old 03-19-2020, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Especially the 1980 wur-they are scarce. Also a fuel pump relay, an assortment of fuses, 2 oil filters, 2 sets of oil tank and engine drain plug sealing washers, distributor cap and spark plugs.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I always have an extra relay (any relay black or red would work in a jamb), spark plugs, cap, rotor, with allen key for the air/fuel mixture when I drive..

Spares - Im not sure what year you have - but its always nice to have a spare alt, a spare fuel pump, wires, air, oil and fuel filters of course.

If you did get into the higher price stuff (for CIS system)- CDI, WUR, Accumulator, temp switch etc, etc - I would make sure they are tested and in good working order...
Old 03-19-2020, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsf911 View Post
Thanks lsf911, WUR is something i should pick up. I was having some hot-start issues a while back that self corrected, but i suspected the WUR after some online research.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaminit View Post
Especially the 1980 wur-they are scarce. Also a fuel pump relay, an assortment of fuses, 2 oil filters, 2 sets of oil tank and engine drain plug sealing washers, distributor cap and spark plugs.
Of course... My SC is a 1980.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Life View Post
I always have an extra relay (any relay black or red would work in a jamb), spark plugs, cap, rotor, with allen key for the air/fuel mixture when I drive..

Spares - Im not sure what year you have - but its always nice to have a spare alt, a spare fuel pump, wires, air, oil and fuel filters of course.

If you did get into the higher price stuff (for CIS system)- CDI, WUR, Accumulator, temp switch etc, etc - I would make sure they are tested and in good working order...

Itís an Ď80 SC. The idea of a spare alt is what got me started with this post. Thanks for all the other suggestions High Life.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

I've been "stranded" three times with my SC in 19 years of ownership.
Clutch cable broke within first year of ownership. Had an acquaintance that lived nearby and he was able to tow me using his pickup truck about 2 miles to my MIL's house. I was able to source the replacement cable in a few days and installed it myself at her house.
Second time was a dead batter - could have happened with any vehicle.
Third time was the CDI unit gave out while running an errand. I wasn't able to diagnose it myself and had the car towed the 2 or 3 miles to a local mechanic.

So - I'd say clutch cable spare - or replace it as PM if you don't know the age. CDI spare as well. I also carry both red and black spare fuses.

'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
'06 911 S Aerokit - from 5/2/2016 to 11/14/2018
Old 03-19-2020, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsf911 View Post
Thanks lsf911, WUR is a good suggestion.
I had some hot-start issues a while back that self resolved. I thought it might be the WUR. Will definitely put on my list.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Whilst this kit of tools and parts is to prepare any motorcyclist for any eventuality, it is equally valid for any 911 owner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsLPIMr6MWc

Last edited by Peter M; 03-19-2020 at 11:20 PM..
Old 03-19-2020, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Great video. Very helpful to me. Never would have thought of prescription meds...
Old 03-20-2020, 03:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Do the CDIs go out overtime or do they wake up one morning and decide "that's it I'm jumping off a bridge"?
Old 03-20-2020, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Inc. View Post
Do the CDIs go out overtime or do they wake up one morning and decide "that's it I'm jumping off a bridge"?
The failure is USUALLY a capacitor within the circuit. Mine failed over a 5-10 minute period while driving. The car acted like I had bought bad gas - sputtering, missing, etc. I had actually just bought gas that day about an half-hour earlier - and suspected that was the problem (even though I bought from a Chevron station.) When it does go, you can normally diagnose it as the problem because the usual high-pitched whine you hear - stops.

'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
'06 911 S Aerokit - from 5/2/2016 to 11/14/2018
Old 03-20-2020, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: