Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Lash

Garage
Replaced the bushings in the front torsion bar/control arm assembly's. I had previously replaced the front Bilstein shock inserts. When you have everything disassembled you take the time to clean and paint.
Now I will follow the procedure in adjusting the ride height and then have the front end aligned.

1980 911 SC

Lash

Old 04-25-2020, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Got a box of project parts from Pelican late last week. First up was installing the Eibach sway bar kit.

Really nice kit. I was really impressed with the drop links.

There were only a couple of things that slowed the installation.

1) Removing the OE sway bar. You know when you read instructions and it says “simply remove the old part...” — yea, that’s when you know you’re screwed. There isn’t a lot that you can get a purchase on to help in prying the factory bar out of the control arm. At first I tried to push the bar towards the rear while laying on my back under the car. This resulted in me moving myself and not the bar. Then I got a great idea. I put my legs under the car and kicked the bar out. I found that physically you want to do this in a Chuck Norris flying ninja kick but the important part is that vocally you want to channel the high-pitch Bruce Lee “HIYAA”. Maybe with a dash of Miss Piggy. That makes all the difference and really speeds up the removal process.

2) The Eibach instructions have plenty of pictures but they are black and white and the contrast is was dark. It was a little difficult to figure out the orientation of the pictures and what I was looking at. It was also a little hard to figure out what angle the pictures were taken from and which side. I think a simple illustration of a cross-section along the front wheel axis and a top down view would’ve been much simpler. And add some labels. I didn’t look but if there are color pictures on their website I would suggest using that instead of the printed ones that came in the box.

Had a quick test drive and I’m very happy. I started with the softest (safest) settings. There is slightly noticeable increase is transmitted NVH but not bad at all. The car feels much more stable in transition. Really happy with the purchase. Hoping to get some more wheel time this week.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.

Last edited by tirwin; 04-27-2020 at 10:43 AM..
Old 04-27-2020, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hooters

Well, my plan was to replace the US side marker lamps in the front bumper with the R.O.W. impact strips. Since the bumper had to come off to do this, figured that I should clean up my horns while I had access.
Before:

After:

The lamps aren't finished yet as the bumper is still out and I have decided to redo the rear tail lamps while I have some extra time.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
Lash

Garage
PatrickM
What year is your Porsche?
Is that an aftermarket oil cooler?

Lash
Old 05-02-2020, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Rebuilt the pedal assembly for my 1971 Targa. Cleaned and repainted everything. Replaced the old nylon bushings with new bronze bushings. New rubber brake lever stop and pedal pads.

The big surprise was the clevis fork that connects the clutch pedal lever to the clutch cable had been broken and JB Welded at some point and the clevis pin was zip-tied on! I can’t believe that was all that was keeping the clutch cable connected. Replaced with a new clevis fork and clevis pin. Really tough getting hands in the tunnel to do that but definitely worth the effort.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hey there, it's a 1977 and had the trombone cooler on it. I replaced that with the later SC cooler. It's a factory Porsche oil cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltarga72 View Post
PatrickM

Lash
Old 05-02-2020, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

1984-911 M491

Garage
Getting the Seven sorted for spring.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Rescuer of old cars

Garage
Got it back from the painter in mid-February. Just in time for things to start shutting down. But there are no viruses in my garage. Just wrapping up a few final details now.

1972 911T coupe
Priors - '84 911 Carrera coupe, '84 944, '73 914 2.0
Old 05-02-2020, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltarga72 View Post
PatrickM

Lash
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
Hey there, it's a 1977 and had the trombone cooler on it. I replaced that with the later SC cooler. It's a factory Porsche oil cooler.

It's often referred to as a Jailbird cooler.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.

Last edited by Canada Kev; 05-02-2020 at 10:20 PM..
Old 05-02-2020, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon2018 View Post
Did a re-seal, and upgraded to Carrera tentioners. Ready for summer!

Nice work on the 911/356 install. I did this a few years ago on a 57 coupe.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Cleaned out the engine bay by doing the heater backdate. Nice to have easy access to the forward corners of the compartment.

I’d like to get rid of the fan motor bracket but it has a few other things attached to it. I will leave it for now.

Next up will be to remove the cruise control system. It does not work and I would not use it anyway.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Lash

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post
It's often referred to as a Jailbird cooler.
I have a 1980 SC and it has the trombone oil cooler.

Lash
Old 05-07-2020, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Registered

Modeled up the fire extinguisher in CAD and designed a custom bracket for the seat mounts that came with the BF Torino bucket seats. I made three versions of the bracket, regular, light-weight, and ultra light weight. Obviously went with the ultra light weight one. Have two left over if anyone is interested.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Registered

Suspension re-do; bushings, ball joints, turbo tie rods, re-build steering box, bearings, clutch cable, e-brake cables, clutch, new flywheel, alloy front S brakes, rotors, plate, tumble, re-build, all new or re-built parts except shocks (New Von shocks were on the car)

Old 05-07-2020, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Dial 911

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by winders View Post
I am fabricating a mount and installing CoP ignitors and mating a wiring harness to my new race engine:

What a beauty!!. What cc is it, hp, and what model is it going into?

BTW...Where did you purchase the spark plug hold down brackets?

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”

Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-07-2020, 11:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A horse with no name View Post
What a beauty!!. What cc is it, hp, and what model is it going into?

BTW...Where did you purchase the spark plug hold down brackets?
Thanks! It is 3.6L, we expect over 360 HP, and it is going into my race car with a 1987 930 chassis.

I bought the spark plug retainers from Sierra Madre Collection. For the CoP coil sticks, I needed standoffs for the retainers and I had to customize the bend and add a twist to get the best fit. That worked out as the Rennline valve covers don’t work well with retainers in general.
PCA GT-3R #3

Last edited by winders; 05-08-2020 at 09:16 AM..
Old 05-08-2020, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Dial 911

Garage
Thumbs up

Nice!!!

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”

Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-08-2020, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
Registered

Changed the center insert of my seats, never done this before but pleased with the result
Old 05-14-2020, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)
Registered

I restored these 15” fuchs to RSR finish myself and pulled my motor today. 3.2SS time. Stay at home in LA is sticking around for a while so may as well rebuild now.

ZeroFuchsGiven.com
#ZeroFuchsGiven
Old 05-14-2020, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Nice work on the refinished Fuchs. This is a great thread with such a WIDE variety of pleasant things to look at and drool over! A lot of us have gotten quite a bit done in the shop and around the house these past few months.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: