Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Won't shut off........

OK.....so today took the car for a spin. Worked like a champ. Got home and the car would not shut off when the key was turned to the off position. Thought it was a key issue so used several of my spare keys with the same result.......no shut off.

Obviously, this is new issue. I disconnected the battery to shut the car down.

Where do I start? Normally, I just turn the key to off and everything shuts down.
Not an electrical wizz and hoping there's something simple that I need to do.

Open to ideas from the group before I take it to a shop and pay extra dollars.

Let me know.

Sean

Old 04-17-2020, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I would start with the ignition switch. I would do a search on this forum for replacement procedure.

Its a fairly common issue that these things go bad.. I always have trouble the opposite way - it wont make contact when starting.. Have to turn the key back and forth a couple of times..
Old 04-17-2020, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Start with electrical portion of the ignition switch..of course the best would be if you get another switch.Unplug the pg from the ignition se.and then you would insert the switch and do the troubleshooting...so i would get one it is always good the have a spare anyway

Ivan
Old 04-17-2020, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Have you messed with the 3 way fuse panel in the engine bay? Connecting two of the terminals can cause the car not to switch off.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
that is true, as Jonny said...sometimes we do not the whole story to solve the problems;-)))

Ivan
Old 04-17-2020, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Jonny H......have not messed with the 3 way fuse or even opened the hood in months.

Car worked great, made several stops doing errands and it started and stopped perfectly until I got home and wouldn't shut off.

I guess I'll order a new ignition switch.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2020, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Changed any taillight bulbs lately?

8009 103rd pl ne Marysville Wa 98270
206 637 4071
Old 04-18-2020, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Parts replacement.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean m View Post
Jonny H......have not messed with the 3 way fuse or even opened the hood in months.

Car worked great, made several stops doing errands and it started and stopped perfectly until I got home and wouldn't shut off.

I guess I'll order a new ignition switch.

Thanks

Sean,

Test and verify that the culprit is the ignition switch. What if the culprit is not the ignition switch? Buy another part for trial and error troubleshooting? Well, it is your money and time anyway. Do what makes you happy.

Tony
Old 04-18-2020, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Have not changed any taillight bulbs....car has run great.

It just seems strange as everything I've read on the forum is more "won't start" issues.
Can't find one that says "won't turn off".

I've read in 101 projects...looks straight forward. Am concerned if I'll have in issue with breakaway bolts as I don't know if this has been done in the past.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...

Careful disconnecting your battery to shut off the car. Do that allows a damaging voltage spike since the alternator can produce substantially more than 12-14V unrestricted. Ironically the alternator can basically fry its own diodes.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stownsen914 View Post
Careful disconnecting your battery to shut off the car. Do that allows a damaging voltage spike since the alternator can produce substantially more than 12-14V unrestricted. Ironically the alternator can basically fry its own diodes.
What's the safest way to shut the car in this situation?
Old 04-18-2020, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locker537 View Post
Remove the fuel pump relay (red)?
Old 04-18-2020, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
Remove the fuel pump relay (red)?
Carbed car will run off of what is in the floats..for some period of time.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locker537 View Post
Stall the engine -- e.g. let out clutch while standing on brake --
Old 04-18-2020, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
Will it shut off if you step on the brake or raise the parking brake?
Old 04-18-2020, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
When the car wouldn't shut off after turning key several times......I simply let out the clutch with it in gear and foot on the break to stall it out.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

If the alternator light stayed on afterwards, maybe the mechanical tab in the steering lock assembly that turns the electric switch broke off. Does the key turn with less effort now?

8009 103rd pl ne Marysville Wa 98270
206 637 4071
Old 04-19-2020, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
Stall the engine -- e.g. let out clutch while standing on brake --
That's a safe choice.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Investigate the ignition switch (mechanical/electrical).....

Quote:
Originally Posted by john walker's workshop View Post
If the alternator light stayed on afterwards, maybe the mechanical tab in the steering lock assembly that turns the electric switch broke off. Does the key turn with less effort now?

If the electrical section of the ignition switch does not fully disengage when you switched off the ignition switch, the problem lies within your ignition switch system. Investigate both the electrical and mechanical sections.

Removing the two (2) screws behind the dash is a very daunting and tedious task. You will need all the patience you could muster to get this work done. Stay focus and you will succeed.

Tony

Last edited by boyt911sc; 04-19-2020 at 07:15 PM..
Old 04-19-2020, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
John Walker.......I think you're on to something. I did notice the steering wheel did not lock as it should've when I turned the key to the off position.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: