Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
rookie

Garage
'82 911sc Tires/Wheels

At the risk of opening up a real can of worms, I thought I'd check in for any thoughts or opinions on the next set of tires and/or wheels for my plain vanilla, stock as stock can be, Guards Red '82 sc. There is still plenty of tread on the tires, but I decided to check the date code and was appalled to see that it was '07 Obviously, I should be driving more, but I'd be a little more comfortable doing so with some fresh rubber. Although I am kind of fond of the early 80's Empire Strikes Back vibe of the stock 15" rims, there is about one option out there for tires. Currently, I am running 195/65r15 on the front and 215/60r15 on the rear. Does anyone have a different setup for the 15s that might give me more tire options? I was also thinking of upgrading to 16" rims. I'd love to hear and/or see (pics appreciated!) what others have, or would like to see, on their, or anyone else's, ride!

Pictures included for your reference/entertainment

Old 04-22-2020, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
First off, shame on you for not driving it!

Now that we've got that out of the way, the wheels on your car are a bit narrow for a SC. You'd be better served tire wise to find a set of 7/8" Fuchs in 16" diameter. Then you can run 205/55 and 225/50/16" tires which offer plenty of choices. You can always sell the original wheels on this forum to offset costs.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

here's a recent thread -- Tires (again)

agree with shoooo32's conclusion, replacing your current wheels with a set of 7x16 and 8x16 fuchs (or fake fuchs) opens the door to a LOT more tire options.

I would also suggest that you refrain from driving on your 13 year old tires
Old 04-22-2020, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoooo32 View Post
First off, shame on you for not driving it!

Now that we've got that out of the way, the wheels on your car are a bit narrow for a SC. You'd be better served tire wise to find a set of 7/8" Fuchs in 16" diameter. Then you can run 205/55 and 225/50/16" tires which offer plenty of choices. You can always sell the original wheels on this forum to offset costs.
Thanks!
That seems like a fav setup. I'm going to see what I can find around in the 16s. Hate to see them go, but I noticed some decent prices for the cookie cutters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
here's a recent thread -- Tires (again)

agree with shoooo32's conclusion, replacing your current wheels with a set of 7x16 and 8x16 fuchs (or fake fuchs) opens the door to a LOT more tire options.

I would also suggest that you refrain from driving on your 13 year old tires
Thanks for the link! I know this question has already been answered a lot, but I have a hard time finding what I'm looking for sometimes.

Yes, driving has been limited to 35mph grocery runs. Saturday afternoon back roads are out for now.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911sc , tires , wheels