Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Analog Air Cooled

Garage
Oil Line brand/quality choices & comparison ...Anyone have a new Porsche OEM Pic?

Trying to do some research here.. Anyone have a Porsche OEM oil line pic they had add to this.

Iím trying to order lines, but quality seems different although price is similar except Porsche OEM.

In USD, it seems for a 3.2 crossover to thermostat tank you have a 79-90$ Range and then thereís $250 Porsche one.

I ended up with a line I assume is Cohline and a Rein. Not sure I like the Rein but the Cohline seems like itís very well made.

We know Porsche uses Bosh, Behr, and others as manufactures, and I see Cohline makes a lot of stuff for OEMs.

I donít mind shelling out for 3x cost for Porsche line but not if Iím getting the same line from Cohline.

So..

We have : Porsche, German, OEM, Cohline, Rien...

The top line is Coh ( there are Coh product codes on it ) and the bottom Rien here.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
I'm not the expert here. But here is a shot of an original SC hose. BTW the crimp on the bottom hose in your pic looks suspect IMO. There was a recent thread where an oil line failed at the crimp. Maybe someone has the link.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 04-25-2020, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I don't have any experience yet with the Porsche lines but in general the Cohline brand is reputable. They used to be made in Germany. Used them for many years on my BMWs with no issues.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Analog Air Cooled

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
I'm not the expert here. But here is a shot of an original SC hose. BTW the crimp on the bottom hose in your pic looks suspect IMO. There was a recent thread where an oil line failed at the crimp. Maybe someone has the link.
Thatís the old crimp as far as I know. Whatís on mine. The bottom pic is thicker that the top one and the hose is like our OEM ones.

The issue is what Porsche has now vs what was avail in 1986 is different.

Hereís my OEM one that need a fix, although itís been like this for god knows how long, I still want to replace it.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The crack shown is not, in my opinion a manufacturing defect, but the result of corrosion thinning the metal enough allow the stress in this crimp sleeve to cause a crack. This really is what carefully inspection during maintenance is for.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Analog Air Cooled

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reclino View Post
The crack shown is not, in my opinion a manufacturing defect, but the result of corrosion thinning the metal enough allow the stress in this crimp sleeve to cause a crack. This really is what carefully inspection during maintenance is for.
Oh totally. I was going over my car with a microscope when I found this.. just comparing the OEM 80s fitting.

Never said defect, to be clear. 36 years old metal.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
For the front oil cooler I used the $33 hoses that are "German" branded.
Oil Supply Pipe to Front Oil Cooler
Oil Return Pipe to Front Oil Cooler
No problems
Old 04-25-2020, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
What do you not like about Rein?
I have used Rein on others cars with no issues
Old 04-25-2020, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Porsche Crest

Here is the one that failed recently.......

and it's my opinion the hose was not fully inserted onto the nipple when new.

AND, the Nipple does not have the Bump at the end that is supposed to Retain the Hose and Crimp sleeve like the authentic Cohline fittings....

Len.Cummings at verizon.net

Old 04-25-2020, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Porsche Crest

If you look at the top photos by hotshot, the Cohline Hose ends have a larger rib or stop while the other (Rein with Conti hose??) has a plain end. I have a fair amount of experience with both Fuel & Oil Lines & Hoses.

Here is a set of Cohline Dual Cooler Lines done for Paul K...

a long while back based off his original fender cooler.

Len

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 10-18-2020 at 06:25 AM..
Old 04-25-2020, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Analog Air Cooled

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
What do you not like about Rein?
I have used Rein on others cars with no issues
I have ď heard ď that they are not a sturdy as the Cohlines. They are also the cheapest and with this being one of the most important parts of the car, I want something beefy. The one I got was made in Turkey. Compared to the Cohline I got the rubber seemed thinner and the clamps seem a little thinner all around.

The current one has lasted 36 years so Iím just trying to make the best purchase.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Analog Air Cooled

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterGT View Post

If you look at the top photos by hotshot, the Cohline Hose ends have a formed stop while the other has a square end. I have a fair amount of experience with both Fuel & Oil Lines & Hoses.
Can you explain this more if itís a good or bad thing? The bottom line in my pic is the Cohline. The top is the Rein. The Cohline has a thicker square collet on the pipe. The Rein has the thinner rounded collet.

So what would you prefer Boxter?
Old 04-25-2020, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Porsche Crest

Hotshot -

I think there is a mixup here.

Cohline Hose says Cohline and most crimps say COH. The bottom one in your photo shows "Conti" on the hose.

Doesn't it?

The Conti Oil Lines have the little squares in the crimp, like the one in the "failed" photo, so I am guessing the Failed one is a Conti.

Len

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 04-26-2020 at 08:59 AM..
Old 04-26-2020, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
i have replace a long time ago the originals with these....
Old 04-26-2020, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
Nice to see youse guys geeking out over oil lines instead of wax and cleaners. Hoses and rubber parts are life limited and a maintenance item. Even the stainless braid/teflon hoses have a life limit on aircraft. Keep digging!
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Old 04-26-2020, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Analog Air Cooled

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterGT View Post

Hotshot -

I think there is a mixup here.

Cohline Hose says Cohline and most crimps say COH. The bottom one in your photo shows "Conti" on the hose.

Doesn't it?

The Conti Oil Lines have the little squares in the crimp, like the one in the "failed" photo, so I am guessing the Failed one is a Conti.

Len

Ah ha! So there is another brand. Iíll try and post more pics. So... howís Contiís?
Old 04-26-2020, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Do you have part numbers for these? Same for an Ď86 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
Trying to do some research here.. Anyone have a Porsche OEM oil line pic they had add to this.

Iím trying to order lines, but quality seems different although price is similar except Porsche OEM.

In USD, it seems for a 3.2 crossover to thermostat tank you have a 79-90$ Range and then thereís $250 Porsche one.

I ended up with a line I assume is Cohline and a Rein. Not sure I like the Rein but the Cohline seems like itís very well made.

We know Porsche uses Bosh, Behr, and others as manufactures, and I see Cohline makes a lot of stuff for OEMs.

I donít mind shelling out for 3x cost for Porsche line but not if Iím getting the same line from Cohline.

So..

We have : Porsche, German, OEM, Cohline, Rien...

The top line is Coh ( there are Coh product codes on it ) and the bottom Rien here.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Analog Air Cooled

Garage
These are for my 86. I still havenít changed them as itís a winter project. The numbers should be the same as the 86- in the part manuals except the 11 is a 13 now as itís a new supplier.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Porsche Crest

As with the Failed Oil Hose above, I really feel the fault is the lack of a bump or ridge on the fitting to retain the hose within the crimp.

We became Cohline dealers in 1978, when engine swaps and front oil coolers were beginning to become popular, and the only option back then was AN.

Their premium hose and wide range of Metric fittings perfectly suited our customers needs.

Of course, all rubber hose will fail over time and conditions. If your steel hardlines are still in good condition, the hose section can easily be replaced.

Here is an example....

using the correct fittings & crimp sleeves and most importantly matching Cohline Crimp Jaws.

For the Hose PN's, the top is the Feed from the Motor crossover to the Thermostat and is 911 107 730 11/13

The bottom is the Return to the Oil Tank and is 911.107.743.10

Hope this helps.

Len.Cummings at verizon.net

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 10-18-2020 at 06:39 AM..
Old 10-18-2020, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: