Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Bitte ein Bit

Garage
Horn question(s) - 86' Coupe

On a 1986 Coupe should the horn work with no power/key in the ignition?

Reconnected the high and low horns under fender. PO unhooked and not sure why...
New steering wheel and new horn button.

Below is a photo of the horn button wired to the car:

This horn button has the single wire and the ground occurs with the piece making contact as shown in the photo - correct???

My other horn button (Momo) had two wires, one acting as a ground. This button is different.

I couldn't find a definitive answer so thought I'd ask here.

I have been overseas with my wife and pulling cars out of storage, could not remember if my car's horn should work with the car being off - I thought certain years did this and later years did not (not to be confused with windows and sunroof working after shut down, etc...).

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something and my thinking was right.

Thanks in advance!
Erik

Old 04-29-2020, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

The easiest way to figure this out, would probably be to test the horn button using a multi meter. check for continuity between the side retaining spring and both of the contacts, in both the normal position and with the horn button pushed. Also run this test between the two connectors on the back of the horn. I speculate it is like the momo button and requires two wires, but can't confirm without knowing how the circuit ohms out based on the above tests.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
911 enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitte ein Bit View Post
[B][U]On a 1986 Coupe should the horn work with no power/key in the ignition?

My 1986 targa honks without the key in the ignition. It's how I double-check to make sure the battery is unhooked before I start futzing with any electrical stuff.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

FWIW, you are correct on the ground question.
Momo buttons have either the two tab connector on the rear (in which case the second wire is connected to the horn tightener ring which seems to be mounted between your wheel and hub) or the 1 tab connector (which has the wire running through the side and makes contact to the ring that way).
So the wiring for that part should be good.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Unclesol

Garage
Looks like you're getting lots of advice re: the horn question, but I have one for you, about your username! I work for a company that is part of the Bitburger group... Don't often see that tagline here in North America!
Old 05-01-2020, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Everyone likes a good Pils...
Old 05-01-2020, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Bitte ein Bit

Garage
Thanks to everyone for the input!

High and low horns cleaned and mounted, wired up, new steering wheel, new horn button, battery hooked up and horn works.

Horn works with car running, horn works without car running.

Originally I thought it would only work with the ignition/car on.

(Side note: I have been researching why my windows and sunroof operate with the car off and other electronic "gremlins" these cars are known for, etc...not to mention correcting what the PO has done to this car in the past. So between the gin, beer, etc. and 12am to 4am Pelican Parts forum research I think I am officially down the rabbit hole...)

I also was concerned the horns themselves may have a positive (+) / negative (-) terminal but was not able to verify as these have been (sadly) painted, but do not think polarity matters on these horns, correct???

So that's where I am at...I'll keep it as is unless someone has a concern with it operating with the ignition/car off???

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesol View Post
Looks like you're getting lots of advice re: the horn question, but I have one for you, about your username! I work for a company that is part of the Bitburger group... Don't often see that tagline here in North America!

The Bitte Ein Bit has stuck with me as I was lucky enough to grow up in Germany and have lived there off and on over the last 20 years as an adult. Eifeler Landbier was my favorite - not sure if it is produced anymore.

I also ride a 2011 R1200GS and use the Bitte Ein Bit screen name on advrider.com.

Really appreciate the older German machines. Air cooled/Oil cooled is the best...for me anyway

Again, everyone, thanks for the responses.

Erik
Old 05-01-2020, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitte ein Bit View Post
(Side note: I have been researching why my windows and sunroof operate with the car off and other electronic "gremlins" these cars are known for, etc...not to mention correcting what the PO has done to this car in the past. So between the gin, beer, etc. and 12am to 4am Pelican Parts forum research I think I am officially down the rabbit hole...)

Erik
do your interior lights come on when you open the driver's door? a failed (gummed up) door switch will cause this to happen, as the windows (and sunroof? I've got a targa) are supposed to operate with the key out until the door's open (i.e. door switch triggers interior light circuit)
Old 05-01-2020, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

The horn on your 86 should work with the ignition off, I’m currently relocating my fuse panel and battery to the smugglers box (also an 86 coupe) which is forcing me to make a new harness for the front lights and the horns. The power to pin 30 on the horn relay runs to the top of the fuse panel at fuse 5, which is a constant hot from the battery (it’s not fused just a power tap ganged with fuses 2, 3, 4, & 5). So that is perfectly normal!
Old 05-18-2020, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Bitte ein Bit

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
do your interior lights come on when you open the driver's door? a failed (gummed up) door switch will cause this to happen, as the windows (and sunroof? I've got a targa) are supposed to operate with the key out until the door's open (i.e. door switch triggers interior light circuit)

Indeed - after replacement and cleaning they do operate as you have stated. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2020, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Bitte ein Bit

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacantSky View Post
The horn on your 86 should work with the ignition off, I’m currently relocating my fuse panel and battery to the smugglers box (also an 86 coupe) which is forcing me to make a new harness for the front lights and the horns. The power to pin 30 on the horn relay runs to the top of the fuse panel at fuse 5, which is a constant hot from the battery (it’s not fused just a power tap ganged with fuses 2, 3, 4, & 5). So that is perfectly normal!

After researching that is what I found also...thanks for taking the time to drop a line here!

Seems like the electrical/horn question(s) has been solved for me.

Many thanks to everyone for their input. Now on to the next project!

Erik

Old 05-19-2020, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: