Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

My "84 Quit Running

Ok crummy topic header! Here is the deal. My 1984 Carrera was purring down the road and the engine abruptly stopped running. No stumble, no restart. Zilch.

It must be spark related. I know it is not a good idea to start throwing parts at the problem, but I am stuck. I am over 100 miles from the closest place to look into what ails my car.

So, looking for some help. I think it is worth troubleshooting and buying parts from our forum sponsor. Has anyone else had the instant stop? And what should I look for to get me running again.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I had the same thing happen on my '87 3.2 a few months back. Purring down the road at 100kph and it dies and I coast to a stop on the side of the road. Tried to restart but it just turns over and over with not even a kick from the engine.

I'd always read in the forums about having a spare DME fuel pump relay for these cars because they will fail at the most inconvenient time. I had a spare with me and nothing to lose so I pulled back the LHS seat (my passenger seat in a RHD car but your drivers seat) and changed over the relay which took 2 minutes. She fired right up and runs beautifully again. Turns out my relay was the original one so 33 years service is longer than most.
If this relay dies your fuel pump wont run. I'd get a hold of a new one and see if it fixes the problem as they're not too expensive and you should have a spare anyway. I bet my new one wont last 33 years so I have another spare now.

'59 VW Beetle
Old 04-30-2020, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

+1 what Big Dav said
ALWAYS carry a spare dme relay !!
1973 BMW 2002
2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
Old 04-30-2020, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
the only time my car did this, i had a blown fuse (sorry i don’t remember exactly which fuse as it was 10 years ago). check your fuses
Old 04-30-2020, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
i also had similar symptoms with the original coil suddenly dying on me at high way speeds
Old 04-30-2020, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

+1 on DME relay

Check fuel pump, that's the only time my car left me stranded with exception to clutch

Check icv when ignition is turned
Check and ensure proper connection of 3 plugs driver side of the engine, idle position, engine speed sensor...sometimes a little jiggle for mine does the trick

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2020, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
DME relay.
It is located under the driver's seat.

To remove it, first slide the seat back to loosen the nut. (10mm)
Then slide the seat forward to unplug the wiring harness from behind.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

my issue was a dead fuel pump. search, you can jumper that one to rule out or confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hg

1988 911 Cabrio
Old 04-30-2020, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Dme relay is a common one. Check your fuses, I had a blue one burn out and car died. Make sure the red relays are fully inserted, I've had them come loose. The coil is another common issue, especially if it is the newer silver one.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If you are stranded, the dme relay opens easily and can be fixed most of the time by cleaning the contacts in the relay and resoldering the contacts (suffer from a lot of vibration).
Had mine die and it is now back in. The original from 84.
Works fine again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2020, 11:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
In lieu of taking that DME relay apart, try gently tapping on it to see if that does the trick.
Yukon Yellow
Old 05-01-2020, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Fuses are fine. I am going to order a new DME. Mine is probably the original.

Thanks to all for the replies. I will post after I get the new part.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Get off my lawn!

Garage
The DME relay has a date on it if it is original. To get 36 years out of it is remarkable. My 85 DME relay died in in 2004 when it was just 19 years old.

Now I have a solid state DME relay. There are lots of very poorly made (crappy quality) DME relays on the market. Get a good one.

The solid state relay is from Focus 9 Technology, LLC

I have used it for three years and like the security of having a quality product. And no, I have no relation with them except as a customer.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 05-01-2020, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

I too have the Focus 9, I got the "pump prime" one. Not sure if it's any better for the motor but it seems to work and it's nice not to worry about it anymore.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven97 View Post
I too have the Focus 9, I got the "pump prime" one. Not sure if it's any better for the motor but it seems to work and it's nice not to worry about it anymore.
Got one too! Nice to have modern tech powering 35 year old technology! Wouldn't think twice about hopping into the El Chup and putting down a 1000mile trip.
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Old 05-02-2020, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I bought a solid state DME relay from a Pelican suggestion here last year, I think $80 and I don't worry.....tho I still have a spare in the glove

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed"

Silver 1984 M491 Sunroof Coupe
Old 05-02-2020, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

OP here.

I got the new DME from Pelican. I ordered the OEM replacement.

It took all of 5 minutes to replace the unit. Readjusted the seat, turned on the ignition and instant start! I absolutely love this forum and all the members willing to share their experiences.

Thanks to all. Heading out for a drive.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

awesome news OP!

now be sure to either repair your original one by reflowing the soldier joints or get a spare to carry with u
Old 05-14-2020, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

BTW,
The old one was dated 1998 made in W Germany and appears to be exactly like the replacement except it rattles within the case! Surprised it worked at all. I am ordering a spare.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

I too have an 84 that quit yesterday. Hoping you folks can help me sort it out. Car came out of winter storage last weekend fired right up and drive 25 miles to my house. A week later car started up and drove 2 miles to a friend's place . Shut her off then a couple hours later wouldn't fire when leaving.

I had an old dme relay the previous owner left in the glovebox in 2008. He replaced it at that time and marked on the box that the old one was still working so he kept it as a spare. I have had the car since 2008

I tried the old dme today but no luck. I pulled a spark plug and grounded it , no spark.

I had a look at all of the engine bay fuses, nothing blown

Wondering what the next most likely candidates are . Bad Coil ?
Crankshaft position or speed sensor ?
Bad ecu ?

Ih yes one other thing. I had Steve wong resolder the ecu a couple years ago when he was installing his performance chip.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Old 05-17-2020, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: