Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell959 View Post
Thanks... I'm really happy with the way they turned out. No plans to start a business making custom gauges but I'm considering doing a few just for the Pelican community. I have some cores and supplies so it would make sense to make a few more to spread out the cost.

I'll start a new thread on the 270 degree AFR gauge. I still have a couple issues to resolve and then I need to test it in my car before I'd be comfortable offering them to anyone.
That would be great. Count me in when you get them sorted. Once again awesome work.

Old 05-10-2020, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSC911 View Post
That would be great. Count me in when you get them sorted. Once again awesome work.
I'll post a picture of my clock-size AFR gauge tomorrow. This is another option for the AFR gauge in place of the voltmeter.

1973 911E RSR Tribute Viper Green w/ 3.5 Twin Plug MFI
Old 05-10-2020, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
10K Tachometer with Voltmeter - Homemade

This is what Iím after ! (Though the needles must be in Carrera style 84-89)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2020, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Almost Done

Garage
i see you had to re-orientate the speedo..how did you do that? pictures of behind the face would be great to show the voltmeter guts too

i d buy a face from you if you make a few, then i can take my voltmeter (mounted under dak and move its gut to speedo

bob
Old 05-11-2020, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

[QUOTE=FrankM_;10860151]This is what Iím after ! (Though the needles must be in Carrera style 84-89)

Hey Frank... I sent you an email this morning with some pointers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7783911 View Post
i see you had to re-orientate the speedo..how did you do that? pictures of behind the face would be great to show the voltmeter guts too

i d buy a face from you if you make a few, then i can take my voltmeter (mounted under dak and move its gut to speedo

bob
Hi Bob.. I'm guessing you meant that I re-oriented the tach not speedo? I wanted a 10K tach so I just copied the layout of the factory 10K tach face and added the voltmeter graphics. You could also make one with a standard 8K tach with redline.

When I put together the next one I can post some pictures of the "guts".

I don't have any plans to sell the faces primarily because I don't have any. I do have a few complete tachs but I will need the faces to complete them. I have a couple spare mechanical speedo faces but that's about it. Also, it would be really hard to sell just the face for a custom gauge. Everything really needs to be fit and tested before tackling the face. It requires drilling holes and mounting the voltmeter and some of the movements have different screw spacing.

You'll also notice on mine that I used an early pre-74 tach but that required drilling another hole near the bottom to relocate the high-beam indicator. Then relocating that light causes another problem because the tube for that indicator bulb is directly behind the original hole so moving it means that light no longer lines up. To address this, my son designed a led bulb holder that is fastened to the back of the face and wired to the back of the case. Extra work, but I wanted the look of the early tach.

I believe that the gauge shops, that do this tach/voltmeter conversion , use the 74-77 tach which has the high-beam indicator at the top between the turn signal arrows. This fixes that problem but I don't like how the turn signal arrows interfere with the 10K face layout.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-11-2020, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSC911 View Post
I started another thread for the Air Fuel Gauge I'm working on. This one is a work in progress but this way you can see how it's going.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: