Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 57
Garage
Oil catch can with 3.6 conversion

I am getting close to putting a 3.6 vario-ram engine with the big stock air filter box in a '74 911 project. I would like to run an oil catch can and deal with fitting and plumbing it before the engine goes in as space is tight.

With the number of 3.6 conversions mentioned on this site, I would believe someone before me has done this or attempted to do this. Anybody kind enough to share any information?

Where was the catch can located?

What was the approximate side of the catch can?

Any particular brand or part number?

Any information or pictures would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

Old 05-13-2020, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered
 
Cory M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,371
Timely post. I need to sort out a catch can for my track car with a recently installed 3.6 in an 88 chassis. With the old motor I had the can in the driver side quarter behind the rear tire. The hose went across the firewall and through a hole in the engine tin. It was a tall cylindrical can with a breather from Jegs, Moroso I think. Hoping for a cleaner install this time with a smaller can.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 57
Garage
Cory I am up in Orange County. I believe I talked to you in the past about other Porsche projects. Maybe front or rear fiberglass bumper covers.

I know guys running the stock black plastic 2 stage intake have used a Peterson Fluid Dynamics 08-0400 Breather Can mounted on the passenger side just forward of the oil tank filler neck. I don't think the big vario-ram air filter box will let me do that. No room. I am probably going to have cut the outside piece of the air box just to clear the right side engine compartment hinge. I am OK with that.

The engine is out of my car if you want to come up and take some measurements or I could come down to you if you think working together is a benefit. Call if that helps 949 282-3192 C. The last phone number I have for you is 909 974-9311.

Gerry
Old 05-14-2020, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic
 
ClickClickBoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Boulder Creek CA
Posts: 3,370
Garage
The company I used. Excellent quality, and relatively small, easy to fit. Mounted mine on the 3.2 intake manifold using the heater fan mounts. Has dipstick and bottom removes for draining. Also tapped for a drain.

3.2 Oil Catch Can

http://www.radiumauto.com/Blog/Post/Catch-Cans-101-102

Universal Catch Cans & AOS
__________________
1984 Carrera El Chupacabra
1974 Toyota FJ40 Turbo Diesel
"Easy, easy, this car is just the right amount of chitty"
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Last edited by ClickClickBoom; 05-14-2020 at 09:40 AM..
Old 05-14-2020, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered
 
Sboxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 728
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 993CS View Post
I am getting close to putting a 3.6 vario-ram engine with the big stock air filter box in a '74 911 project. I would like to run an oil catch can and deal with fitting and plumbing it before the engine goes in as space is tight.

With the number of 3.6 conversions mentioned on this site, I would believe someone before me has done this or attempted to do this. Anybody kind enough to share any information?

Where was the catch can located?

What was the approximate side of the catch can?

Any particular brand or part number?

Any information or pictures would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance
Photo of our oil breather catch can - 3.8L 964 in 1978 911SC race car . . .

Because the can came with the car 12 years ago not sure of the brand of catch can. . . Car came with 3.2L engine (built by Aase in Fullerton). . . we did the 3.8L conversion in 2012 by Don Jackson's in Phoenix

It has an inlet on the side and a filter on the top - a drain is on the bottom . . . mounted on the frame next to the modified stock air filter . . .
We can R/R the engine without removing the catch can . . .

Regards,
Roy T


__________________

2002 Porsche Boxster S Cobalt Blue/Blk/Blk
Crew Chief for Son's 1978 Porsche 911SC Original Porsche Mocha Brown 3.8L NASA race car
Previous Porsches: 1958 356 Red Coupe - 1972 914 Blue -1972 911T Coupe Aubergine
Old 05-14-2020, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
porsher
 
aston@ultrasw.c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,679
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboxin View Post
Photo of our oil breather catch can - 3.8L 964 in 1978 911SC race car . . .

Because the can came with the car 12 years ago not sure of the brand of catch can. . . Car came with 3.2L engine (built by Aase in Fullerton). . . we did the 3.8L conversion in 2012 by Don Jackson's in Phoenix

It has an inlet on the side and a filter on the top - a drain is on the bottom . . . mounted on the frame next to the modified stock air filter . . .
We can R/R the engine without removing the catch can . . .

Regards,
Roy T


I did the same as Roy: I didn't catch much oil but the mist seemed to create a bit of a mess in that corner.

So I moved the can into the fender well.
__________________
86 911 Race Car, with a few 993 bits in the boiler room
79 928 Race Car
88 928 Becoming a Race Car
Old 05-14-2020, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Registered
 
Cory M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by 993CS View Post
Cory I am up in Orange County. I believe I talked to you in the past about other Porsche projects. Maybe front or rear fiberglass bumper covers.

I know guys running the stock black plastic 2 stage intake have used a Peterson Fluid Dynamics 08-0400 Breather Can mounted on the passenger side just forward of the oil tank filler neck. I don't think the big vario-ram air filter box will let me do that. No room. I am probably going to have cut the outside piece of the air box just to clear the right side engine compartment hinge. I am OK with that.

The engine is out of my car if you want to come up and take some measurements or I could come down to you if you think working together is a benefit. Call if that helps 949 282-3192 C. The last phone number I have for you is 909 974-9311.

Gerry

Thanks Gerry. My engine isn't Varioram so i probably have more room than you, although the big stock air filter might get swapped for a cone. That Peterson can looks nice, and is more compact than what I have. I believe it's the same one Patrick Motorsports sells for our cars.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 45
These are well made, super low profile and can be end user customized to work as needed.
Been using one as is with no issues.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32806768844.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4ebf976 dnz6z3y&algo_pvid=d1e9ee43-eb92-4a55-9c12-93d61e9f0e3d&algo_expid=d1e9ee43-eb92-4a55-9c12-93d61e9f0e3d-0&btsid=0be3743615895291272904673ed454&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb 201603_

few things to note
-19mm bungs
-baffles are reversible in the housing so either can be the outlet or inlet
-steel wool can be added on the input side.
-can be tapped for a sintered bronze filter like the mishimoto

-outlet can be capped with a horizontal filter, which gives you that much more height

just some food for thought before you spend a few hundred bucks

Last edited by lelix; 05-15-2020 at 03:41 AM..
Old 05-15-2020, 01:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: So. Calif.
Posts: 19,568
A good catch can separates liquid oil from the vapor. Otherwise, crankcase pressures can force the oil mist through that breather filter. A can needs baffles, foam or other material to do that.

Sherwood

Old 05-15-2020, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:27 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2020 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.