Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 149
16" tires

sorry to beat this dead horse. My 84 Carrera has 16x7 and 8 Fuchs. I'm in desperate need of rear tires. Right now it has Kumho 205 55 16 in front and 245 45 16 in rear. The rear looks great. The front sidewalls look too tall. Plus the front feels squishy when pushed hard. I don't care about the wet, but it needs to be a very good dry tire. I drive my car around 4k miles a year on mostly windy mountain roads and some hiway. Im not looking for a track tire.. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,740
would you run 225/50-16 rears? If so, fair # of options in the 205/50-16 front / 225/50-16 rear combo.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
would you run 225/50-16 rears? If so, fair # of options in the 205/50-16 front / 225/50-16 rear combo.

I noticed that. I'm not sure if the 225's are better fit for 7" rears. I have 8"
Old 05-17-2020, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,740
Bill V (forum tire guru) has previously indicated that 8" rims are a bit narrow for 245/45 tires and that 225/50 are a better fit for 8" rims (with 9" rims being ideal for the 245/45 tire size)
Old 05-17-2020, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered
 
creaturecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver bc
Posts: 4,368
comes to tires/fitment, amongst other things? ........ Bill V is the man!
Old 05-17-2020, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
Bill V (forum tire guru) has previously indicated that 8" rims are a bit narrow for 245/45 tires and that 225/50 are a better fit for 8" rims (with 9" rims being ideal for the 245/45 tire size)
I'm not prepared to argue as I don't know anyone's credentials. As I look at the tire fitment of the 245 45 16's on my 8" wheel, they look very good. Would a 225 fit better? Maybe. Tire Rack states the max tire width for a 225 should be 7.5". The tires aren't that expensive, so I'm willing to give them a try. I've also found that mid corner grip, while staying on the throttle is very good with the 245's. Hope that doesn't change much. Thanks
Old 05-17-2020, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,740
wasn't trying to argue -- yokohama a052 look to be the only "street" tires that come in the 205/50-16 / 245/45-16 size combo and are getting some VERY good press as very high performance, dry weather tires -- they could be just the match you're looking for (though you may be hard pressed to get 2 years out of them)
Old 05-17-2020, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 4,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypratojr View Post
The front sidewalls look too tall. Plus the front feels squishy when pushed hard.
Can't help you with the looks but the push is an alignment issue.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 298
Garage
For performance I have the Pirelli Trofeo R in 205/225
If youíre mainly concerned with appearance then there are lots of choices
Old 05-17-2020, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 24,276
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypratojr View Post
I'm not prepared to argue as I don't know anyone's credentials. As I look at the tire fitment of the 245 45 16's on my 8" wheel, they look very good. Would a 225 fit better? Maybe. Tire Rack states the max tire width for a 225 should be 7.5". The tires aren't that expensive, so I'm willing to give them a try. I've also found that mid corner grip, while staying on the throttle is very good with the 245's. Hope that doesn't change much. Thanks
If you don't believe any one here, why ask here?

1) re-read Tirerack wheel width rec's for 225/50 x16 They are all 6.0-7.0-8.0, best performance comes w/ 8 due to the broader support base, most confort come w/ 6 due to the mushy unsupported sidewalls.

2) 245/45 x16 rec is 7.5-8.0-9.0, again best performance is w/ a 9 and most comfort w/ a 7.5. Yours w/ 245/45 on 8 is closer to the comfort end than the performance end. A good 225/50 on an 8 will equal the grip due to the smaller slip angles that they will run compared to 245/45 on an 8

3)The more height discrepancy f/r the harder it is too set a car up for max grip. 205/55 and 245/45 while not a huge delta is more than 205/55 and 225/50

4) sometimes a f/r height discrepancy is accepted as a compromise for better fit, in this case 205/50 will allow the car to be lower, this will also enhance lateral grip

5) back in the 7 & 8 x15 came w/ a very desirable 205/50 & 225/50 option, These days 205/50 & 225/50 on 7 & 8 x16 would be almost a good.

6) as for tires there several excellent choices RE71, A052, Direzza * spec, R-S4, are all good places to start looking
__________________
Bill Verburg
'76 Carrera 3.6RS(nee C3/hotrod), '95 993RS/CS(clone)
| Pelican Home |Rennlist Wheels |Rennlist Brakes |
Old 05-17-2020, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
If you don't believe any one here, why ask here?

1) re-read Tirerack wheel width rec's for 225/50 x16 They are all 6.0-7.0-8.0, best performance comes w/ 8 due to the broader support base, most confort come w/ 6 due to the mushy unsupported sidewalls.

2) 245/45 x16 rec is 7.5-8.0-9.0, again best performance is w/ a 9 and most comfort w/ a 7.5. Yours w/ 245/45 on 8 is closer to the comfort end than the performance end. A good 225/50 on an 8 will equal the grip due to the smaller slip angles that they will run compared to 245/45 on an 8

3)The more height discrepancy f/r the harder it is too set a car up for max grip. 205/55 and 245/45 while not a huge delta is more than 205/55 and 225/50

4) sometimes a f/r height discrepancy is accepted as a compromise for better fit, in this case 205/50 will allow the car to be lower, this will also enhance lateral grip

5) back in the 7 & 8 x15 came w/ a very desirable 205/50 & 225/50 option, These days 205/50 & 225/50 on 7 & 8 x16 would be almost a good.

6) as for tires there several excellent choices RE71, A052, Direzza * spec, R-S4, are all good places to start looking
"Argue" was a poor choice of words. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
If you don't believe any one here, why ask here?

1) re-read Tirerack wheel width rec's for 225/50 x16 They are all 6.0-7.0-8.0, best performance comes w/ 8 due to the broader support base, most confort come w/ 6 due to the mushy unsupported sidewalls.

2) 245/45 x16 rec is 7.5-8.0-9.0, again best performance is w/ a 9 and most comfort w/ a 7.5. Yours w/ 245/45 on 8 is closer to the comfort end than the performance end. A good 225/50 on an 8 will equal the grip due to the smaller slip angles that they will run compared to 245/45 on an 8

3)The more height discrepancy f/r the harder it is too set a car up for max grip. 205/55 and 245/45 while not a huge delta is more than 205/55 and 225/50

4) sometimes a f/r height discrepancy is accepted as a compromise for better fit, in this case 205/50 will allow the car to be lower, this will also enhance lateral grip

5) back in the 7 & 8 x15 came w/ a very desirable 205/50 & 225/50 option, These days 205/50 & 225/50 on 7 & 8 x16 would be almost a good.

6) as for tires there several excellent choices RE71, A052, Direzza * spec, R-S4, are all good places to start looking
Once you go with a 225/50 rear and a 205/50 front, that opens up a very wide array of options for dry performance tires. I wasn't seeing many options because I was searching for a matched set using my current 245/45 rear size. Thanks
Old 05-17-2020, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 8
I really like the way the Pirelli Cinturato P7’s look.

https://www.lucasclassictires.com/Pirelli-Cinturato_c255.htm
Old 05-17-2020, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered
 
fred cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Deep South
Posts: 5,015
Garage
16" Tires........

I just put a set of General G-Max RS ultra high performance summer tires on my SC coupe and am very happy with them so far. I'm letting a little of the "new" wear off before I push them hard but the bit of testing done so have seems to indicate that they will handle well. My car has the 7x16 fronts and 8x16 rears (all Fuch) and, after looking at the before (245/45-16) and the after (225/50-16) fitment, I have to agree with Bill V. on the wheel/tire size choice. The G-Max RS tire wear rating is not too bad either with a 360 AA rating! I got these tires thru Tire Rack at a good price and with fast shipping!
__________________
FEC3
1980 911SC coupe "Zeus" 3.3SS
god of thunder and lightning
Old 05-18-2020, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred cook View Post
I just put a set of General G-Max RS ultra high performance summer tires on my SC coupe and am very happy with them so far. I'm letting a little of the "new" wear off before I push them hard but the bit of testing done so have seems to indicate that they will handle well. My car has the 7x16 fronts and 8x16 rears (all Fuch) and, after looking at the before (245/45-16) and the after (225/50-16) fitment, I have to agree with Bill V. on the wheel/tire size choice. The G-Max RS tire wear rating is not too bad either with a 360 AA rating! I got these tires thru Tire Rack at a good price and with fast shipping!

I guess you got the 55 series fronts? Any pics?
Old 05-18-2020, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered
 
Mr. Merk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 660
I used to have a car with 8" wheels. It handled great with 225s. I figured a 245 would fit the 8" wheels fine and I'd get lots of added grip, right? WRONG. It handled like dog**** with 245s.
__________________
1988 Venetian Blue Carrera 3.2
2010 Black 911 Turbo 3.8
2008 Black Cayenne Turbo 4.8
www.instagram.com/patrickossenkop
www.instagram.com/drive_oz
Old 05-18-2020, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
BFT3.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: 10 mins from Lime Rock
Posts: 302
Garage
I was going to put up a standalone post on the subject of 245's and I still might so it gets more exposure. I'd love to have the "problem" of 8" rears so I could choose from the much larger selection of 225's. I've had 9" euromeister fuchs on the back for 6 years and always ran RE-11's but as we all know they're discontinued. I was trying to stay away from a "track tire" this time as my '88 is now street only. If I could buy 225's and wanted one that can do it all (aside from snow) it would be the Conti Extreme Contact Sport.

Here's my Tire Rack review of the Toyo T1R in 245 that I made the mistake of buying.

"For Toyo to call this tire a "Ultra High Performance" is a joke. I put these on my lightweight '88 911 and the rear end felt like I was running snow tires that were 10 lbs under inflated with the rear sway bar disconnected. The grip was fine but the sidewalls were so soft and flexible that the rear end would respond to a turn or a slightly sharp steering input about a second after the front and the tail would literally wag a little. I tried running a higher pressure in the rear of 40 instead of 36 to see if the sidewalls would stiffen up but it made no difference. The only reason I bought these was due to the VERY limited street tires available of 245/45/16 that need to used when on 16x9 in the rear, stock on a '88 911 is 225 for 8" or 7" wheels.

Thanks to Tire Rack's fantastic customer support and Toyo's "Trial Offer" that gives you 45 days and up to 500 miles, I was able to return these to Tire Rack for a full refund minus $14 shipping and immediately bought a set of Yokohama Advan A052 at nearly double the price but worth every penny. Their sidewalls were nice and firm with no lateral flex while still being very comfortable on less then perfect country roads w/no discernible noise. No they won't be great in deep standing water but this car doesn't go out in the rain if I can prevent it."
__________________
______________
'88 911 Coupe
'98 Spec Boxster
'85 380SL Benz -Euro

Last edited by BFT3.2; 05-19-2020 at 06:55 AM..
Old 05-18-2020, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFT3.2 View Post
I was going to put up a standalone post on the subject of 245's and I still might so it gets more exposure. I'd love to have the "problem" of 8" rears so I could choose from the much larger selection of 225's. I've had 9" euromeister fuchs on the back for 6 years and always ran RE-11's but as we all know they're discontinued. I was trying to stay away from a "track tire" this time as my '88 is now street only. If I could buy 225's and wanted one that can do it all (aside from snow) it would be the Conti Extreme Contact Sport.

Here's my Tire Rack review of the Toyo T1R in 245 that I made the mistake of

"For Toyo to call this tire a "Ultra High Performance" is a joke. I put these on my lightweight '88 911 and the rear end felt like I was running snow tires that were 10 lbs under inflated with the rear sway bar disconnected. The grip was fine but the sidewalls were so soft and flexible that the rear end would respond to a turn or a slightly sharp steering input about a second after the front and the tail would literally wag a little. I tried running a higher pressure in the rear of 40 instead of 36 to see if the sidewalls would stiffen up but it made no difference. The only reason I bought these was due to the VERY limited street tires available of 245/45/16 that need to used when on 16x9 in the rear, stock on a '88 911 is 225 for 8" or 7" wheels.

Thanks to Tire Rack's fantastic customer support and Toyo's "Trial Offer" that gives you 45 days and up to 500 miles, I was able to return these to Tire Rack for a full refund minus $14 shipping and immediately bought a set of Yokohama Advan A052 at nearly double the price but worth every penny. There sidewalls were nice and firm with no lateral flex while still being very comfortable on less then perfect country roads. No they won't be great in deep standing water but this car doesn't go out in the rain if I can prevent it."
I'm leaning towards the Bridgestone RE-71R of the AO52 in a 205/50 16 and 225/50 16
Old 05-18-2020, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
 
Registered User
 
BFT3.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: 10 mins from Lime Rock
Posts: 302
Garage
I ran the RE-71 on my Spec Boxster track car last season and they do offer the ultimate in grip at 10/10ths track speed for a 200TW tire but are total overkill for a street only car and pretty loud to boot, irrelevant on a track car of course. The Yoko's are considerably smoother and quieter but why pay nearly double the price for them over the Contis which are excellent, I ran them for two track seasons and they did great, way stickier then the 360TW suggests.
__________________
______________
'88 911 Coupe
'98 Spec Boxster
'85 380SL Benz -Euro
Old 05-18-2020, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered
 
DWeg1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 307
Garage
Iíve had RE71s for the past 3 years. If Iím not ever driving on a track I wouldnít chose them. Extreme grip but tradeoffs are too much in ride quality, soft compound throwing every little pebble into the cars body, starting tread depth is already low and wear is fast, hard under 45 degrees without heat in them. But if I was reporting on them after a recent track outing I would have more positive feedback.

My next tire Iím between the Conti ExtremeContact Sport Michelin PE2 or Michelin AS3+

Old 05-18-2020, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:35 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2020 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.