Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Interesting factory paint job on my 82 911SC ?

I've had the car for twenty years. I have painted nothing. And, judging from the perfect condition of the leather inserts between body panels there are zero signs of masking for any paint job. Some one would have had to dissemble the car, paint it, and then reinstall the leather inserts. You can poke your head into the back of the engine compartment and see the hinges and other metal pieces underneath are same color as the exterior.
Bottom line - original factory paint job.
Here's where it gets interesting. I have original window sticker. This paint job was an option. It is listed as "Rosewood". I ordered some Rosewood touchup paint (L474). Upon receiving paint, I could see instantly it didn't match. After some research, the applicator they sent was indeed Rosewood. Wasn't even close. The closest match I could get from online color charts clearly show that their Rosewood is different from mine. Wine Red (L895) is actually a closer match. That was a color for the 928 models (81-84). One explanation would be that this was special ordered from the factory. And, for whatever reason, they simply called it "Rosewood" on the sticker.
My solution was to get paint computer color-matched.

Has anyone seen similar instances?

Old 05-17-2020, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Interesting factory paint job on my 82 911SC ?

I donít have a situation where the color doesnít match. Well someone did do a color change.
But my 79 and a couple others were ordered in a 924 color called Indiana Red. Itís an ugly color. Metallic red with a gold base.
I have the original dealer paperwork with the color listed on the order form.

Without the order form itís hard to say if the window sticker is labeled wrong or if the car was painted incorrectly. But being painted a 928 color is not impossible.

I donít know what the COA tells you anymore. They have changed. Might be worth getting one to see if a color is listed. Usually if it was a special request the COA just says; 99 PTS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2020, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hmm. Interesting. Have you looked through the Rennbow color wiki?

https://rennbow.org/colorwiki
Old 05-17-2020, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
This post is like Deja-vu all over again for me ... diff OP, same color issue?

edit : ah - https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1038657-82-911sc-paint-mystery.html

Last edited by LIRS6; 05-18-2020 at 09:18 AM..
Old 05-18-2020, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Whatever the color I like it!

Old 05-18-2020, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: