Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by steve911
Ron-
found it at my local Home Depot. I'm traveling, so can't go out to the garage and check exact size. If I remember correctly, it comes in a small roll (about 24 inches long?). Its 1/2" or 3/4" wide (I trimmed it with a scissors to fit the light). It not more than a 1/16" of an inch thick.

Its definitely packaged as a consumer product
It actually called Scotch CLEAR Mounting Tape Heavy Duty, catalog # 4010. Its red in the package, but the red just protects the adhesive.

My '85 911 Targa ** Hand painted center caps for sale here
RIP Warren
PCA & Rennlist member
Old 11-16-2003, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Steve:
Many thanks for the info. I tried it and it did not hold so I ended up using epoxy glue on the mirror tab and pad. The pad did stick to the glass but the mirror mounting foot would not stick to anything (except epoxy).

Ron D
Old 11-17-2003, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Go Speedracer, go!

Has anyone had problems with the brake lights being a little dimmer after adding the third brake light? It might be in my head, but it seems like they are a little dimmer all around.

I was thinking about putting one of those OEM style LED bulbs in to lessen the draw from the third bulb.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Cool project. Problem for me is I have a cab. Anyone install an external 3rd brake light? I was wondering how to install the wires and seal the unit to the body as close to factory as possible.

'68 911 Ossi Blue coupe
Old 11-17-2003, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Bill--
there's a technical article about installing an external third brake light on our host's website. 'all' you need to do is drill 3 holes in your rear deck and mount the light, then run the wires and do the hook up. didn't look terribly hard, once you get over that drilling thing.

My '85 911 Targa ** Hand painted center caps for sale here
RIP Warren
PCA & Rennlist member
Old 11-17-2003, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Resurrected this thread b/c I finally installed a third brake LED light in my 911.

Bought the same exact light at Autozone ($18) and also picked up some clear 5 min epoxy ($2). Steps: Mounted the light bar with epoxy, removed the back deck lid, tucked the wires in the rear window trim, snaked the wires through the firewall hole (with coat hanger), hooked 'em up. By the way, the brake wire is also black with a yellow stripe on SCs. Grounded it right next to the ignition box. Good to go.

The hardest part was getting the epoxy to stick. When I applied the epoxy the first time only one side stuck. The second time I made sure not to press very hard. The side I did twice actually came out looking better b/c it is totally clear, i.e. all you see it the black plastic. The side that stuck the first time is kind of hazy, oh well, next time, don't push so hard.

I didn't time myself but it seemed like it took about 2-3 hours, or the time to drink four Newcastles. I bet I could do it in half the time a second time around.

Here's to safety...

EDIT: I ended up cutting the wires after I mounted the light and snaked them through. I didn't want any extra wire-age hanging out back there.

Last edited by GettinHeadStuds; 09-04-2004 at 07:22 PM..
Old 09-04-2004, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Garage
I bought one a few weeks ago, but haven't gotten around to putting it in. I'll have to try the coat hanger...I tried some braided wire and couldn't get it through the opening. Now the roll bar blocks the upper part of the window anyway, so I won't even notice the install.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Yeah, use a little electrical tape to secure the wires onto the wire coat hanger and push it from the inside out. It is actually reeeeally easy. Looks like Ghia pulled the wires through... whatever works.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Go Speedracer, go!

Anyone have one of these installed in a coupe? If so, lets see some daylight pictures of the install. I have an oem light mounted to the bottom of my window and am not happy with it; I'm still contemplating this LED light. The targa bar will hide the light, but the coupe doesn't have anything to hide it. Also, in a coupe, where would you hide the wires?
Old 09-04-2004, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
wires would be tucked into the rear window seam. At least that's my plan.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Please excuse the picture quality. I installed mine on a coupe. Installed on the top of the rear glass. From there I started feeding the wire into the rear window rubber. I thought it would be tough getting the wire in there, but it literally took me 5 minutes. The only thing that slightly bothers me can be seen in picture three. A tiny section of the wire running from the window seal into the engine compartment is exposed. I was thinking of coloring that part of the wire black to blend it into the interior, but I'll probably end up leaving it as is. It's not visable unless your looking for it.

Old 09-05-2004, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Holy jeez - looks like I hit a goldmine with this question -- thanks all for the great info! Guess I'm going shopping.

Cheers,
Old 04-27-2005, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Administrator

Todd, you might want to mount it directly to the back of the roll bar.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Thumbs up

Thank UT for the How To and Jack for the link:

From the Pilot Catalog on S.O. $19.95:

It is 18.5" in length and a clean bracket that will fit right under my rear radar detector array. Can't wait
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC

Last edited by DRACO A5OG; 02-08-2008 at 08:31 PM..
Old 02-01-2008, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

Will it work on six volts?
Old 02-22-2008, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
Thank UT for the How To and Jack for the link:

From the Pilot Catalog on S.O. $19.95:

It is 18.5" in length and a clean bracket that will fit right under my rear radar detector array. Can't wait
Can you post the link for ordering?
Old 02-22-2008, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Hey guys, this is my car (UTKarmanGhia's former car) now and attached brake light. Just an FYI the light is still working fine but one of the mounts cracked and broke.
So I removed the mounts and by coincidence used "Scotch CLEAR Mounting Tape Heavy Duty" as described in a post above (from 2003). Works fine.

Unfortunately the light didn't help out when my car was parked and some one ran into me. Guess you can't cover every possibility!

Jay
Old 02-22-2008, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
Works for coupes too

I have a coupe and mounted the same bar. I originally tried a top of the window mount - but found it obscured my rearward vision - even when I took the feet off and heavy duty velcro mounted as high as possible. Got to see the gendarmes in the rear view mirror at a distance.

Instead I velcro mounted it to my parcel shelf - again without the feet, to keep it as stealth as possible - it blends in well against the black.

Totally stealth when off.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBob View Post
[/img]
Mounted like that on my Targa, much better for visiblity with no obstructions
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 02-22-2008, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Original Owner

Since moving to Texas and enjoying the tailgating habit practices here I decided to install third brake lighting as well. Safety First!

This excellent thread well documents the wiring solution so I'm only posting differences.

I chose to install four small M1 Truck Side Marker LED lights up behind the Targa bar where they would not show from the cockpit and barely show from outside. I also chose these because of the beveled edge for double side sticking to the window. The resulting light angle was good.

The source was: www.superbrightleds.com and they cost $6.49

https://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/m1.htm

I soldered wires between all of these. A single hot wire and a single ground wire.

I next ran the power and ground wire up thru the rear deck hole and over to the Targa bar. See earlier discussion for how to do this and where the hot line goes. I tested the wiring before installation.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: