Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

1965-1968 911 R taillights.

1965-1968 911 R taillights.
I know these years had smaller openings for the taillights than the LWB. So I’m looking for a set of R taillights that will fit my 68. Anyone know if they sale these for the SWB cars?
AASE sales claimed they fit all years. With no option to specify the year.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

The factory mechanics at Porsche would cut out the buckets and most of the edge flanges on the original R. The Hella lamps have a diameter that is too big to work with a stock housing.
The base plates that support the Hella units are not the problem. They are formed to be as thin as necessary to clear the opening on the body , once the flanges are mostly removed. The bases still have to receive and support the lamps.
So if you are after the R look on an unmodified 65-68 model you will have to source lamps that have smaller diameters than the Hella units
I've seen motorcycle ones adapted for this. But I couldn't begin to help with what model.
Probably easier and faster these days to 3D print your own amber and red lenses
Old 05-23-2020, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Ok. So it’s just the insides of the fender buckets? I don’t have to cut on the outside?
Old 05-23-2020, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

that is correct- no exterior painted surfaces get modified or cut off
Old 05-23-2020, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Thank you.
Just curios why not advertise them to work for the SWB car with slight modification? Just curious

Last edited by stubble88; 05-23-2020 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: It
Old 05-23-2020, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

So here is what I did to get the 911R look.
EB Motirsports made the lightweight housing. Then I purchased a set of Hella lights from the favorite on line auction site...
The real hella lights have a chrome ring. So easy to tell a fake. Real ones are hard to source for a reasonable sum.

Now my car is a 1971. So the rear quarter is slightly different.
I donít have the backing that you do. But I donít think it will be a problem. You may just have to fab up so kind of bracket to hold the new fiberglass molded light holder.
Also think about getting some nice new wires made up. I was able to wire up the lights On my workbench then just plugged the harness into the inner fender.
Keep in mind the fiberglass part will need work to sit right.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

There is no difference in the net dimension of the tail lamp opening on a swb vs the lwb. The fiberglass bases are the same. As i stated in my first post on this, it is the inner flanges and bucket of the swb tail lamp areas that need to be modified to install these lamps
there is no amount of modification to the fiberglass bases that anyone sells that will allow fitment , of the lamps, ( either chrome edge or other configuration hella lenses). The mods have to be done to the car
Old 05-23-2020, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks everyone. Sounds easy enough to do.

Old 05-24-2020, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: