Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
passenger side mirror not tilting

My electric mirror on the pass is not tilting, it IS moving side to side but not up and down. Drivers side works fine. any ideas?
Thanks
'85 911

Old 05-25-2020, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
mirror.

I don't think it's the switch.

More likely, the internal wiring at the mirror.

Have a look at the connector located inside the door.

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 05-25-2020, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
it happened at my mechanic yrs ago, he said it was in the wiring "somewhere"...he should have looked since he did it, but you know how that goes. thought this might be an easy fix other than wires inside "somewhere" that someone else experienced.. but I will take a look...thanks
Old 05-25-2020, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I have similar problems with my passenger side mirror. I've decided that it is a problem inside the mirror itself. If I use the up, down, left, right frequently it all works well. But if unused for a couple months it (the mirror) decides which directions I get.

The mirrors do not have two separate motors, but rather a single motor and some type of clutch that changes the direction that the motor moves the mirror. I have some spare mirrors and someday might take one apart to get to the bottom of the issue. Unfortunately the motor/clutch is behind a panel that is riveted together so a bit of destruction is required.

Last edited by Solamar; 05-25-2020 at 10:36 AM..
Old 05-25-2020, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Ckt

^^^^^
This might help.

You will need to cut & paste.

Best,

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 05-25-2020, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Curiosity got the better of me (or maybe procrastinating things I should be doing...).

Drilled out the rivets -

Which reveals a rubber bellow covering the motor. Stretching the bellow reveals three Phillips head screws -

Which then reveals a true Rube Goldberg mechanism of pulleys and strings -

Gently pry open the motor case -

And now you can see the reversible electric motor and the electro magnet clutch which move an arm selecting a separate group of pulleys -

All this so you dont have to ask your passenger to tilt the mirror for you? Porsche engineers were/are freaking nuts.

My "guess" is that the electro magnet clutch becomes intermittent. Probably the arm hangs up.

So, how badly do you want your passenger mirror to function correctly?
Old 05-25-2020, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
nothing is easy!! thanks all
Old 05-25-2020, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Are you saying that there Is only motor for both mirrors?... it’s in the passenger side mirror? No shared motor(s) which could be giving me the problem of No tilt in one?
Old 05-25-2020, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

My '87 does the opposite: it tilts up and down, but doesn't move side-to-side. Mine has two gears that are visible if you take the mirror off. One looks fine, while the other is stripped (they are both plastic).
Old 05-26-2020, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Were you, or is it able to be fixed?
Old 05-26-2020, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

I fiddled with it a little, but the gear is toast. I think I will have to get another motor assembly at a swap meet or from a dismantler. Right now I have a piece of foam wedged in between the mirror and housing to keep it still - it works pretty good.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgurnari View Post
Are you saying that there Is only motor for both mirrors?... itís in the passenger side mirror? No shared motor(s) which could be giving me the problem of No tilt in one?
are you serious ???
2014 Audi A4 2.0T Technik (Audi Support Vehicle)
Old 05-26-2020, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgurnari View Post
Are you saying that there Is only motor for both mirrors?... itís in the passenger side mirror? No shared motor(s) which could be giving me the problem of No tilt in one?
I didn't word that very well, did I...

I 'assumed' each mirror would have two motors, one for up down, the other for in out. Turns out each mirror has just one motor and a clutch mechanism to change direction.

Yesterday afternoon I went for a drive. Before the drive, sitting in my driveway, my passenger mirror would only adjust up down. While driving I tried to adjust the mirror again and both directions worked perfectly. Makes sense that the clutch sticks or hangs up and the road vibrations allow it to shift easier.

Try it while driving.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Looked for mirror motors for an ‘85 911.. seems motors only come attached with the housings $250 and up, used. Would be bad to get one and the problem is not the motor but a loose wire somewhere! After seeing all the photos and ideas you got me wanting to fix it somehow.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You think motor can be taken out and replaced?... fairly easily?!
Old 05-26-2020, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 911 Targa View Post
I don't think it's the switch.

More likely, the internal wiring at the mirror.

Have a look at the connector located inside the door.

Gerry
Do you mean inside the pass door or driver side?
Thanks

Old 06-15-2020, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
door mirror , mirror , tilting