Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Spumato
Upgrade(s) on MY1974

All,

I have been contemplating some recent upgrades for MY74 911.

She is running on 46 year old OEM suspension, and the Engine has been completely overhauled. The motor is a 3.0L from an MY1983 that has been rebuilt, trick exhaust work, titanium valve springs, real 964 cams, ARP head studs and rod bolts, 1984 Carrera Cam Oilers, and Turbo Valve Covers.

The transmission was rebuilt and fully serviced to go with the fresh engine.

She is back in the shop due to a fuel line leak, and I am wondering what is the best approach the the suspension system.

We have replaced all of the bushings on the sway bars, but never addressed the struts/shocks. I believe they are KONIs, but not certain.

Do you have an opinion on adding spacers to a narrow bodied G model? The only other fun mod, is it does have a fiberglass duck tail!

Advice?

Old 05-26-2020, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Where did you find titanium valve springs?

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2020, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spumato View Post
All,

I have been contemplating some recent upgrades for MY74 911.

She is running on 46 year old OEM suspension, and the Engine has been completely overhauled. The motor is a 3.0L from an MY1983 that has been rebuilt, trick exhaust work, titanium valve springs, real 964 cams, ARP head studs and rod bolts, 1984 Carrera Cam Oilers, and Turbo Valve Covers.

The transmission was rebuilt and fully serviced to go with the fresh engine.

She is back in the shop due to a fuel line leak, and I am wondering what is the best approach the the suspension system.

We have replaced all of the bushings on the sway bars, but never addressed the struts/shocks. I believe they are KONIs, but not certain.

Do you have an opinion on adding spacers to a narrow bodied G model? The only other fun mod, is it does have a fiberglass duck tail!

Advice?
What shortcomings are you trying to address? Konis are great shocks if they still work? on spacers, what wheels/tires are you currently running and what are you looking to address by adding spacers?

Keep in mind that these cars came from the factory pretty well set up for spirited driving, every "improvement" can well result in an unexpected compromise (i.e. lowering it for better handling at limits can cause it to scrape bottom on driveways/speedbumps).
Old 05-26-2020, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

What are your goals?
Canyon carver?
Fun weekend driver?
Track events (Autocross and/or HPDE)?
Racing?
Cars and Coffee?
Some combination of the above?

What are you NHV tolerances?

Once you tell us this, reasonable advice can be given.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 05-26-2020, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
no matter the goal, digressively valved shocks
Old 05-26-2020, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
We need a picture!

I would replace the shocks. It's high time. Bilstein HD or Sport is the natural choice. I would also upgrade the spring plate to a later adjustable spring plate, or go with the aftermarket version from Elephant or others. While you're in there, replace the control arm bushings. That will improve handling significantly.

As for spacers, I've used a variety of spacers front and back with different wheels to achieve different looks.

This is a 911R style rear wheel with 17mm spacer in back - a 15X7 with a 225/50.

Group4 wheels just released an early Torque Thrust looking wheel in four different finishes with a -32ET which eliminates the spacers but still has the right offset for n/b cars that want to run a wider tire.

Check out my 75 and 77 911S build threads
Old 05-27-2020, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: