Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Bonding fiberglass to metal in 2020

Hello
Trying to decide if I want to take my 912 narrow body with perfect rear metal flares to a full R look with front, rear, bumpers, fenders everything in fiberglass or just leave it as a narrow R. This will include rear glass fender flares.
So. I have researched this a lot. I want to bond some R flares to my rear fenders. I know metal is always better but Iíd like to buy all the glass parts from the same place (rennspeed) so hopefully the fitment wonít be too much of a disaster.

Question that most concerns me is the bonding of fiberglass to metal. All the research on previous post here say that this will eventually crack at the seam. But they are all older posts. Has this changed? Better bonding products? Better knowledge? I donít know.
Thanks

Old 06-25-2020, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
'73 911 T Targa

Garage
I recently found a glue made by Gorilla Glue called Gorilla Glue Clear. It doesn't foam like regular glue and as the name implies, it's clear. It's the best thing I've found for gluing dissimilar materials.

I suspect though with any materials that expand and contract at different rates, cracking at the in-between filler is inevitable.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered
It will never be perfect no matter what anybody tries to tell you.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
It will never be perfect no matter what anybody tries to tell you.
Yes. I donít expect it to be perfect. Nobody ha mentioned perfect. Rís were never near perfect. Iím just concerned with future cracking do to glass bonding.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Bonding FG to steel is not optimal. You may be able to get away with it for a while, until it starts to crack.

IMO, what you should do is buy the whole rear quarter panel in FG or CF and either rivet it or better yet use Dzus fasteners like the race cars use to attach it.. Would look awesome.

For the front use FG fenders.

OR, learn to weld. It's not that hard to do in the big scheme of things.

Found this. How to attach fiberglass fenders?

And this. Screw on. Has anyone done the bolt on flares..
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage

Last edited by Trackrash; 06-25-2020 at 06:28 PM..
Old 06-25-2020, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Body shop supply stores sell two part bonding adhesives. They are so strong that some have used them to attach dissimilar materials. They can be had in various work time formulas. Not cheap but quite effective
Old 06-25-2020, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
How about no flares, not mine but great looking car! I guess done by rod Emory
Old 06-25-2020, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Staying narrow is definitely an option. Probably the smarter one.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

I'm with Gordon. Go with steel flares or don't do it. You'll never get the bond strong enough to avoid cracking.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I'm picking up my car next weekend from a guy who bonded fiberglass rear fenders to the car prior to paint because the PO did a poor job of bolting them on; I'll let you know in ten years how it looks but from the pictures I've seen thus far, it looks great.

1972 Porsche 911 Outlaw - 400hp/930 transaxle/13" rear tires
F/A-18C/D, F-15C, F-35B/C
Old 06-26-2020, 01:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

I parted a car that had some fiberglass quarter panels bonded/molded to the metal body in the early 80's. There were absolutely no cracks in the bondo and the body work was awesome. If you find a competent shop or body guy I don't think you'll have any issues if you're just street driving the car.

I have however seen poorly installed fiberglass parts molded onto cars where you can see the bondo cracking but I think the problem in all of these cases was poor workmanship.

YMMV
Old 06-26-2020, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered
You can do it with no cracks but you will get visual issues at the transition that in my opinion are a non-starter
Old 06-26-2020, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
. . . As usual on this Forum there are 2 sides to every story/experience . . .
Our experience is 5 years with no cracking and excellent quality work done by a
professional to bond and smooth the flares to the rear panels . . . my son and I did
the finish paint so that part is not quite the professional quality of the fiberglass
bonding part of the project

Here are photos of our project - it happens to be a race car and bouncing over track
curbs at 60mph is pretty rough treatment on the car body . . . 1978 SC with Turbo
flares . . .

Regards,
Roy T

2002 Porsche Boxster S Cobalt Blue/Blk/Blk
Crew Chief for Son's 1978 Porsche 911SC Original Porsche Mocha Brown 3.8L NASA race car
Previous Porsches: 1958 356 Red Coupe - 1972 914 Blue -1972 911T Coupe Aubergine
Old 06-26-2020, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
porsher

Garage
Look for 3M Panel Bond 08115. Automotive epoxy for dissimilar materials.

Old 06-26-2020, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: