Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
under hood clean up?

What can I remove here? I have no AC and backdated heat. I'm starting into a master cylinder replacement and thought I might remove what I can while I'm at it.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
Most of what you’re seeing is part of the heating/ventilating system - I’d leave it in place unless it’s a race car.
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 06-29-2020, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I believe that elbow coming up from behind the smugglers box is only used with AC. My non-AC car does not have that elbow, but the passenger side, right off the blower, has a Y that feeds air to the central dash vent.

Also, on my non-AC, the elbows above each control box have Y's with smaller hoses to the small left and right dash vents. I thought I had a good picture but can't find one with the cover removed...
Old 06-29-2020, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Non-of the havoc settings or fans work, heat just oozes from the dash when I lift the center floor levers.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
77 Restorer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
Non-of the havoc settings or fans work, heat just oozes from the dash when I lift the center floor levers.
When I pulled my ventilation system/box to replace the fan motor, much of the control vents inside had deteriorated and needed to be replaced. I probably could've removed most of it since I'm trying to lighten up the car, but these were pretty light and I still get cool air through the old A/C vents. It's easy enough to remove and replace, as needed.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

There is 8 kilos in the smuggler's box.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
If I don't care about the havoc can I just remove all of the blower system behind the master cylinder?
Old 07-13-2020, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

I removed all the fresh air blower system. Still have AC with an aftermarket system and heat direct to the cabin. I never used the fresh air system. Really cleaned it up.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Geronimo -- how do/would you handle a fogged up windshield if you remove everything?
Old 07-13-2020, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
Geronimo -- how do/would you handle a fogged up windshield if you remove everything?
On my 82 I ducted the heat directly to defrost vents on either side with SCAT tubing. Works great for defrost and chilly mornings.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have never touched the in dash controls. The only levers I have ever used are the center floor levers.

The heat has been back dated, so I am not sure what I can get away with. I don't drive the car in the rain, or really the cold much at all.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: