Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Shipping a gearbox international?

Anyone have experience with doing this? Need a quote for a G50 box ( packed in the usual igloo cooler). likely 180lbs total including accessory parts. going Philadelphia to Amsterdam.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks. Frank

Old 07-17-2020, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneman View Post
Anyone have experience with doing this? Need a quote for a G50 box ( packed in the usual igloo cooler). likely 180lbs total including accessory parts. going Philadelphia to Amsterdam.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks. Frank
It can be done, but it is expensive. I recently priced shipping a transmission from the US to Australia. I would recommend that you do *a lot* of shopping around, bargain over the phone with a salesperson rather than accepting a web quote. You should also confirm that the Igloo container will be acceptable packaging. Deal directly with the companies doing the freight: the "middleman" companies are a *****show.

Many (most? all?) of the freight co's are hurting for business at the moment, because of the pandemic. They will negotiate. Even in the best of times, there is a lot of elasticity (yeah, good word that) in their pricing. Good luck!
http://www.catellusengineering.com
https://www.facebook.com/catelluseng/
Old 07-24-2020, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
In a box, not crated on a pallet? I would be surprised anyone will accept a 90kg box nowadays..
Old 07-24-2020, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

If you have time but want pretty cheap method , there are loads of cars shipped in containers to Europe and most cargo ships go first to Netherlands, and those shippers often have room in containers and advertise that they ship parts too. Best to find some local (Dutch) reliable shipper, search e.g firm that ships old US cars.
I have used many times firm that ships old US cars to Finland, it takes loads of time and need to be shipped first to them in US but basicly very cheap.
As it was said, I don't think any commercial operator accepts that heavy package, must be on top of pallet.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

I sent one from New Zealand to Fishcop in Australia. the shipping company had some old tea (cup of tea) chests for sale so I put it in one of them and packed with driveshafts and right hand drive pedal box, plus some kiwi beers he likes. it got there fine. It was only a few hundred dollars. The shipping agents were also custom agents or bond store people - whatever you call them. So they inspected the contents which made it uncomplicated at the destination port.

Old 07-25-2020, 02:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: