Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Shift Rod Ball Cup Question

I am in the process of replacing the shift rod bushings on my 68 911. Upon removing the shifter this morning I noticed a wire wrapped very tightly around the ball cup bolt. It is making it impossible to loosen and remove.

Please refer to the attached photos. Photography is not my strong suit, but hopefully you can see what I am talking about. You can also see the bushings are completely disintegrated and laying in the tunnel.

Has anyone else ever seen this wire wrapped around the ball cup retaining bolt? If so, what is it? I can't see it going off the shaft at all. Do I need to cut this to remove the bolt? I am starting to round the bolt due to the wire interfering with the wrench.

Any advice is appreciated.

Old 07-18-2020, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Yes you need to cut the wire. Somebody wired it to prevent backing out of the bolt for some reason. Was your car ever a race car? Or double check that the bolt isn't stripped and that was a hack to keep it in place.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
NorthernThrux,

Thanks for the response. I did get courageous and pried on the wire and noticed it went through a hole in the bolt. I cut it off and the bolt came out no issue.

The bolt is not stripped. The car was raced in local rallies by the previous owner back in the 70's, so interesting thought.

Thanks again.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

The bolt is always safety wired to prevent it from backing out. Lots of times folks don’t replace it when refreshing the bushings. Easy to remove and replace.

2013 Cayenne GTS Meteor Grey
2003 Boxster S
Old 07-18-2020, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: