Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

Garage
I know some people are looking at the above and thinking "but all those people have posted about how much better the $200 couplers made their shifting"...

The reason is the same as all the 'these new tires' are os much better threads, and similar of r other items.

Posters are comparing a new part to an old worn out part, not to another new part of a different type.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCforme View Post
Also used the Stomski coupler along with JWest's Rennshift and very happy with the combo.
I had the brass bushings sitting in a drawer for quite some time but got the rennshift/Stomski package. I also replaced the engine and trans mounts(with stock, I’d go cabrio if I could do it over again) and the trans fluid at the same time, so it’s hard to know where the praise lies for the shift improvement. I’m sure the brass bushings would be comparable to the Stomski but the easy install made the price delta worth it.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
I know some people are looking at the above and thinking "but all those people have posted about how much better the $200 couplers made their shifting"...

The reason is the same as all the 'these new tires' are os much better threads, and similar of r other items.

Posters are comparing a new part to an old worn out part, not to another new part of a different type.

I must say, I had refreshed my original shift coupler with new bushings (PU) and replaced all the bushings for the shifter and the shift rod and drove it for a year like that. It was an improvement on the 35 year old worn bushings.
2 months ago I did buy the Wevo and put it in. I must say that it is still an improvement vs my renewed original. Much more precise and it feels easier to do the 1st to 2 nd gear shift.

Is it worth 200 EUR ? That is personal, but since I like to get everything ‘just right’ on my 911, for me it was money well spent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2020, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Still here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM_ View Post
I must say, I had refreshed my original shift coupler with new bushings (PU) and replaced all the bushings for the shifter and the shift rod and drove it for a year like that. It was an improvement on the 35 year old worn bushings.
2 months ago I did buy the Wevo and put it in. I must say that it is still an improvement vs my renewed original. Much more precise and it feels easier to do the 1st to 2 nd gear shift.

Is it worth 200 EUR ? That is personal, but since I like to get everything ‘just right’ on my 911, for me it was money well spent.
If I read RWebb correctly and I do agree with the argument, a 10X product should be that much better, not just a slight improvement.

If it isn't, then it's somewhat hyped up i.e. the apparent value is driven by group think.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
maybe - there is some term in economics for how perceived value 'loads' on actual performance increase

I am just interested in whether a new Wevo coupler is really better than a new stock coupler. The thing to do is to to have a double-blinded test (DBT) with an adequate sample size, say 20 people with their cars.

We aren't likely to get that so we are relying on anecdotes or "clinical experience" like FrankM_'s post just above.

Or just get something that floats your boat... analogously, a really nice looking amp for your stereo system might not sound better, but looking at the green lights against the rose-gold faceplate has gotta be worth something....

Now, on a related topic in this thread. I replaced my new stock trans. mounts, with the Black Wevo ones, and driving on the same roads I am certain there was a real improvement (despite it not being a DBT) b/c the difference was so pronounced.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

How about the hidden shift bushing behind the turret in the tunnel?

If the shift rod isnt properly corralled behind the turret, then the shift rod isnt held on center, and it doesnt fully arc as the lever moves across the gate. Thus the selector inputs are not translated accurately to the rear coupling. If it wanders up front, the inputs will be "short" at the coupler.

I just did the whole kit for 20 bux shipped, leaving extra coin for things I actually need. The delrin coupling bushings are very nice.

Time for lunch John, before we croak. My treat.

BH

Last edited by Model Murdering; 08-10-2020 at 10:22 PM..
Old 08-10-2020, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
Rebel Racing trans and engine mounts, Stomski coupler, Wevo shifter. This car shifts like my Barrett M-99 bolt action rifle, not soft, o slop, the free play is very precise, very German.
P.S. The Stomski is 11 years old in my daily driver and is as tight as when I installed it in the ‘75 then the ‘84.
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Last edited by ClickClickBoom; 08-10-2020 at 11:24 PM..
Old 08-10-2020, 11:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
To add to this...replaced the bushings in the stock coupler today with our host's brass bushings. No real improvement in feel...BUT...the PO had clearly replaced the same bushings with Polygraphite bushings (also from our host) and they were essentially brand new. Zero wear. So...there you go. No difference in feel between new Polygraphite and brass bushings for me.

Previous GF's - 986 Boxster S, 987 B Cayman, 981 B Cayman, 981 GT4
Old 08-12-2020, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

Those more precise shift couplers are industrial or aircraft grade U-joints (sometimes called helicopter couplings), often supplied with a dust cover. Machined adapters connect the coupler onto the Porsche pieces.

Sherwood
Old 08-13-2020, 11:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Still here

Garage
That bolt action description sounds great but isn't it an illusion given all we're doing is moving a lever, which moves another arm and so on eventually forcing little pieces of metal blocks and and rings together and sliding a sleeve on it ? With the stock shifter, I can almost think I can feel the teeth engaging and spring compressing as it's shifted.

Last edited by pmax; 08-14-2020 at 08:15 PM..
Old 08-14-2020, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Cr@pcan Rescuer

Garage
If anyone is thinking about doing the brass bushings, I made a YouTube video detailing my replacement and a test drive after.

For reference, I had already rebuilt my shifter with a factory short shift kit, replaced the cup and sleeve bushings beneath the shifter, and adjusted the coupler correctly. I saw my old coupler as the last little bit of excessive play in the entire shift linkage. I felt it was a big improvement for not much investment.

Last edited by 2jmotorsports; 10-25-2020 at 08:46 PM..
Old 10-25-2020, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911pcars View Post
Those more precise shift couplers are industrial or aircraft grade U-joints (sometimes called helicopter couplings), often supplied with a dust cover. Machined adapters connect the coupler onto the Porsche pieces.

Sherwood
That might be similar to what I stumbled across today.

BRA Schaltwerk kit
https://car-bone.pl/shop/915-schaltwerk-shifter-kit/

George, Architect
Old 10-25-2020, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Cr@pcan Rescuer

Garage
I am very curious to know how much of a difference that uniball makes. It looks like a really nice kit.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

The stock shift coupler was designed to have the slop its ovality creates, and perhaps the minor diameter a bit less than the OD of the cross pin. VWs and 356s had basically identical couplers. The supposition is that this was to isolate transmission noise from the cockpit.

The low buck route to great shifting is the Seine and a pair of coupler bushings which have a round ID which is a tight fit on the cross pin. Huge difference. You can get hardware store brass bushings and drill out the stock bushings to hold them. I took some Urethane body washers for some Detroit car purpose, turned them to size on my drill press, and they have worked great for years and years. Or buy the brass ones which replace everything, or the round hole ones John W likes (no need to do any fiddling arround).

I used to lust after the helicopter joints, scheming about how to adapt them to this purpose. But realized they can't, and don't, actually do any better in transmitting the shift lever motion back to the transmission shift rod than the other approaches. And a sealed joint isn't needed in the tunnel - not a particularly dirty area in terms of wear on parts.

That German kit sure does look nice, though.

Last edited by Walt Fricke; 10-25-2020 at 11:30 PM..
Old 10-25-2020, 11:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Fricke View Post
That German kit sure does look nice, though.
… and is ridiculously expensive for what it does.

y'all not forget: the heavy trans-/engine unit is mounted to 4 rubber mounts.
even when using poly mounts /WEVO/Stomski) it still allows some movement.
these movement must be allowed to be caught by the shift linkage.
if you stiffen that linkage to a max then you will only have downsides.
- hard time proper alignment (no play left)
- disharmony in alignment when getting hot
- rattle noise being transported through tunnel

at no cost, best improvement (next to fresh originally designed parts) is improving the shifting of the driver according to shift pattern, e.g. don't yank from 5th to 4th without the hook (avoiding R), don't downschift from 3rd to 2nd without the hook... always respekt the hook !!
(same for upshifting).
Old 10-26-2020, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
time for a cable shifter kit
Old 10-26-2020, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojo View Post
… and is ridiculously expensive for what it does.

y'all not forget: the heavy trans-/engine unit is mounted to 4 rubber mounts.
even when using poly mounts /WEVO/Stomski) it still allows some movement.
these movement must be allowed to be caught by the shift linkage.
if you stiffen that linkage to a max then you will only have downsides.
- hard time proper alignment (no play left)
- disharmony in alignment when getting hot
- rattle noise being transported through tunnel

at no cost, best improvement (next to fresh originally designed parts) is improving the shifting of the driver according to shift pattern, e.g. don't yank from 5th to 4th without the hook (avoiding R), don't downschift from 3rd to 2nd without the hook... always respekt the hook !!
(same for upshifting).
Hey Flo, what's "the hook"?
Old 10-26-2020, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I’m curious to about the hook......mike fitz
Old 10-27-2020, 12:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
look at the 915 shuiftpattern.
example: from 5th to 4th
move down, hook left, shift down to 4th
or 2nd to 3rd:
gently force left, move up center, hook right, shift up to 3rd
Old 10-27-2020, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Registered

I was surprised at the price too, for a bit of blue-anodized-bling no one can ever see...It does look perfectly executed, but is it an improvement?
Can someone install one and report back?

'99 MX-5
8 bicycles
Old 11-17-2020, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: