Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
915 Shifter Couplers

Any suggestions on which shifter coupler (WEVO or Stomski) will best improve the shifting of my 85 911 with a 915 5 speed transmission ?
Also, should I also replace the Motor and Transmission Mounts?

Thanks again for any advice, Ken

Old 07-23-2020, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I put the Wevo in my '84...BUTTER! So easy and a great upgrade!
Old 07-23-2020, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
Stomski copied Wevo's design, which is really nothing more than a sized coupling joint used in many industrial applications

a search will be rewarding...
Old 07-23-2020, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

The stock coupler with black delrin round hole bushings installed, work just as nice as the fancy ones.

8009 103rd pl ne Marysville Wa 98270
206 637 4071
Old 07-23-2020, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
john walker is my man
1984 911 Carrera Coupe - 32C #73 - M64/05
1998 E36 M3 4dr
1989 E30 325i 4dr
2006 Sienna 5dr - the hauler
2010 Cannondale Caffeine II - Lefty
Old 07-23-2020, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

In the early days of my SC ownership I replaced the engine and transmission mounts - an easy job, and it hugely improved the gear shifting. I think the engine and transmission were moving a bit while under acceleration, then moved again as I put the clutch in to shift gear.

I used what were called Sport mounts. Slightly stiffer rubber I suspect.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
If in doubt of wear-grade in parts influencing proper shifting, here's a to-do:

- replace lower ball joint bushing of shifter
- replace coupler bushings
- replace trans mounts (maybe engine mounts in the go as well)
- reajust, drive off like 1985 new from factory

the easy way to go one step further:

- get the spring from Karsten => THIS
- improve coupler to brass bushings or the WEVO PJS coupler
Old 07-24-2020, 01:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I put the wevo in and it shifts beautifully now (had a recently redone standard coupler inbefore). Next : transmission mounts

I donít believe there is much difference between the wevo and the stomski.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2020, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Porsche Crest

I have the Wevo Shift coupler and the Wevo engine/tranny mounts. Could not be more pleased with the feel and handling of a almost 37 year old 911. 😊
Old 07-24-2020, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks for your replies.... Always appreciate the advice from this group.

WEVO Coupler, new shifter bushing, engine and transmission mount are in the plans. Any suggestions on Mounts.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Still here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by john walker's workshop View Post
The stock coupler with black delrin round hole bushings installed, work just as nice as the fancy ones.
Good to know the stock coupler with this 10$ part will do the same while keeping the dampening rubber bushing in place. Adding it to the todo list the next time I have to adjust the linkage.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks John, they are now on my shopping list.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Mikos View Post
Any suggestions on Mounts.
There are 4 levels of 'stiffness' for engine/tranny mounts. In addition, you can mix & match by puttng stiffer ones at the trans vs. engine

Blue Wevo - stiffest
Black Wevo
Cabriolet
Stock, non-cab mounts - least stiff

Avoid solid mounts.

Replace the stock mounts if a PO did not - as they are old and hard, brittle.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

I did the brass coupler insert, replaces the factory plastic piece. Seems to work great
Old 07-24-2020, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Neff View Post
I did the brass coupler insert, replaces the factory plastic piece. Seems to work great
Same here. I actually rebuilt two couplers. One coupler has brass, the other delrin. I figured if I didn't like the feel of the brass bushings, I could easily swap out to the delrin, The delrin coupler is collecting dust in my loft.

FWIW, I've driven a car with a wevo coupler and the owner of that car drove mine. We both agreed that there was no difference in the feel of the shifts between the two.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I used the Stomski and am very happy with it.

The only thing I noticed is a bit of noise in gear at the shifter- sort of a buzzing kind of noise- might need a little adjustment so the lever isnít tight against the housing, but havenít investigated yet.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 07-24-2020, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

When I removed my original coupler, I was astonished how degraded the original bushing was. Replaced with a Wevo. Big improvement, but bailing wire might have been an improvement too.

However, it transmits a lot of transmission sounds into the cab. Clearly, need to finally get that trans overhaul and upgrade.

The original bushing provides an intentional oval movement, while the Wevo is very precise bearing movement. I've rebuilt my original coupler with the delrin bushing and want to compare the two (Wevo vs. delrin) once I put the trans back in.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Also used the Stomski coupler along with JWest's Rennshift and very happy with the combo.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Rescuer of old cars

Garage
When I bought my '84, the PO had installed a factory short-shift, the transmission had fresh synchros and sliders but shift quality was poor. I replaced the linkage bushings, upgraded the transmission mounts to the firmer sport/cabrio parts, removed the short-shift kit, added a Seine Gate shift kit and delrin bushings in the stock coupler. Car shifted great after that was done. My new '72 (also with fresh 915) isn't too bad, but I am still planning on delrin coupler bushings and the firmer transmission mounts. I can't see that either the Wevo or Stromski couplers could be much better than the delrin bushings.

1972 911T coupe
Priors - '84 911 Carrera coupe, '84 944, '73 914 2.0
Old 07-27-2020, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Bragging rights is all.

8009 103rd pl ne Marysville Wa 98270
206 637 4071
Old 07-27-2020, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: