Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Analog Air Cooled

Garage
This^. Get out n drive. You will learn more, know it’s ticks and noises, and have a sense of what’s “ normal” in the short term. Plus, if you break down, your closer to home every mile to travel.

Shoe do the shipping $$ on Pelican books and tools. Enjoy.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Research what tires are recommended for your car, Michelin?

Get them mounted and balanced, check the oil, and then drive her home.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

I'd jump in that Sweet looking SC and drive it home in a heartbeat.

Good advice quizzing the PPI man.

And I think there is a delux version of AAA (there is in New Zealand and Europe) where you pay more sub's but they flatbed it to your home and/or pay for hotels - sounds like fun to me
Old 08-17-2020, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

1+ on driving it home. Bring your fiance up for a mini vacation while you get new tires as other said check the belts oil bring spare belt and oil. Even is you can not change it would have a spare maybe a spare relay there are a few of them in your fuse block under the front truck. Take your lady for a day test drive or part of the way home. Fly her home from there unless she is a hard core car enthusiast? Summer time AC probably not what she is used to if it works at all in the car and enjoy your journey. Had my 83 SC almost 26 yrs now was supposed to be a 5 year interim car if that tells you anything. Smile every time I drive it still. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Been here a while

I just did this with a macan GTS for my wife....drove from Tucson to NJ with my son, 2500 in 3 days...yes, we flew and yes we slept in hotels.....and it was great....we saved some money, we enjoyed the new car, probably more miles than it will see in the next 6 months' maybe more....

Yes, talk to the guy who did the ppi, tell him your plan....probably go ahead and spend a few bucks for new belts, and certainly do the tires....have the brake hoses checked and fuel lines..... Rubber parts....

And then just drive it, and enjoy the miles.....tail of the dragon is a great idea for your route home.

Cayman R Sportomatic and some other cars
Old 08-18-2020, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

If Tab says it's ok it's ok
Tell him your plan and ask his advice
04 BMW R1150R
DanielJacobsLLC.com
Old 08-18-2020, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

1979 911 SC

Garage
Thanks Everyone for all of your input. Still haven't made a decision but I need to figure it out soon. To answer some of the questions and comments thus far:

Tab Tanner our PPI tech from Autobahn Garage in Findlay actually said "You should fly out here and drive it home! It will be an experience you will never forget" This guy is great! We spent 25 minutes on the phone and he is a super knowledgeable Porsche guy. He said he wouldn't hesitate to drive the car across the country. I, of course do not have his ability to diagnose and repair on the side of the road yet so I have to take his enthusiasm with a grain of salt.

Yes, AAA is a given as is making sure I have oil etc. with me. I'm sure I could probably get a fan belt on but I'm still not sure what the whole thing is about with the shims. I'll try and find a thread or article about that on here.

Without a doubt I would have the tires installed before the trip. In fact the car is still at Tab's shop this morning per my request to the seller. If we make the trip I will have him address a few things including the tires and possibly a re-charge of Freon if he thinks it would help even a little for a couple of days.

Decisions, decisions!
Old 08-18-2020, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
How does registering it out of state work? Is that problematic these days with covid?
Old 08-18-2020, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
1979 911 SC

Garage
LIRS6, My understanding is that with the Bill of Sale signed by both parties I can obtain a temp plate from Florida MVB and drive it home. Once I have it home I take the title in and get the plates. Our MVB offices here are open with social distancing and PPE in place so should be pretty simple. It's the traveling through the airport during Covid that is the scariest part!
Old 08-18-2020, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat6pac View Post
Drive it, get to know the car...
Bruce
I agree. Drive it. Heck I drove my 85 911 down to Key West and and spent a week in Florida. About 5,000 miles total journey.

You will bond with the car!
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-18-2020, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
LIRS6, My understanding is that with the Bill of Sale signed by both parties I can obtain a temp plate from Florida MVB and drive it home. Once I have it home I take the title in and get the plates. Our MVB offices here are open with social distancing and PPE in place so should be pretty simple. It's the traveling through the airport during Covid that is the scariest part!
Noted, here in NYS it appears to be more problematic as the DMV is limiting the types of services and the number of available appointments at offices.

Changing topics, best of luck with your '79 - I have owned mine for 34 years. Given Tab's encouragement, fly up there, spend some time with him to go over the car, check off the must-have items that various members suggested, and enjoy it.

Jason

P.S. Just don't let your fiance know that you have just found a new love ....

Last edited by LIRS6; 08-18-2020 at 06:44 AM..
Old 08-18-2020, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Here in SoCal, its about dealing with the freeways. I bought my car in L.A. during a heat wave like we are having now. Being stuck in traffic @ 110 degrees with your just purchased air cooled 911 is what I remember.

Take the drive, memories are worth more than money

869#
AKA "Gemma"
Old 08-18-2020, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
one further thought - as new tires are a must, and you would be driving 1000+ miles, might be worth getting an alignment done prior departure.

Jason
Old 08-18-2020, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

Tommy z - did you confirm that the SC does, in fact, have 15" wheels? Given the very limited selection of 15" tires for this car, this may be what puts you on the horns of your dilemma -- compromise on tires (or drop big $ on cn36) now or get car delivered and have time to track down/buy/install 16" fuchs/replicas for better tire selection --
Old 08-18-2020, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
1988 Carrera

Garage
I would in a heart beat. Take your time, don't push it. Enjoy the ride.
72'914 gone
72' 914 gone too
Old 08-18-2020, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Unless she's a real trooper offer to fly her back after the first day, ....too loud, too hot, too small etc.
I did a 10k mile road trip with my son in my 87 and Cherahola Parkway was better than the crowds on the Tail. Chatahoochee and Neels Gap are great.

Don't expect too much from the ac, i cruised at 3600 rpm or so, which isn't quite up to today's traffic on the interstate.
Have the belts replaced before leaving so you won't have to do it on the road.
Have fun and enjoy the ride.
67 912 coupe, white, sold
04 Audi Allroad 2.7T
Old 08-18-2020, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Crusty Conservative

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
Tommy z - did you confirm that the SC does, in fact, have 15" wheels? Given the very limited selection of 15" tires for this car, this may be what puts you on the horns of your dilemma -- compromise on tires (or drop big $ on cn36) now or get car delivered and have time to track down/buy/install 16" fuchs/replicas for better tire selection --
Even better, if you select a 17 inch option you can use Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which your car deserves...

69 911 T Targa, 2.4E w/carbs (1985-2001)
70 911 S Coupe, 2nd owner (1989- 2015)
73 911 T Targa, 3.2 Motronic (2001- )
Old 08-18-2020, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Drive it!! I'm in Knoxville, TN if you need anything...
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 08-18-2020, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I just picked up a 1983 911SC a few months ago. I picked it up in Florida and drove it 17 hours home with my new wife in the passenger seat. She wasn't super on board when I first made the purchase but fell in love with it on that ride home. What a great experience and what a great way to really get to know the car....

I say drive it!
Old 08-18-2020, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Bought a ‘86 911 outside of D.C. 2+ years ago and was able to get a one-way rental car from Michigan. Took my son out of high-school for a couple of days and we had a very memorable drive home that we still talk about. I had similar concerns as you raised (odometer had 76k) and the wonderful owner said he wouldn’t think twice about driving across country (my drive was over 500+ miles, much less than yours).

Based on my experience, drive it home (I smiled all the way home).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 08-18-2020, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: