Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Tommy, if you are going to drive it (& I hope you do) having Tab's shop assist with the new tires is a good idea. A tire shop with no experience with 911's can really screw things up. BTW, when I bought my 86 Targa seven years ago, I put new tires on it, threw a few spares in the frunk, and drove it to Seattle, Vancouver and back. Only problem in the entire trip was a broken windshield that I had replaced in Seattle.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Congrats on the car, Tommy.
How did you find the car for sale?

If you replace the tires, you could order from TireRack and get it delivered to the shop
Old 08-18-2020, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Just happy to be here.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
I would ask the guy that did the PPI what he thinks?
^
I think this is an appropriate response.... with that said I would and have always shipped my cars home. I prefer to look at the entire car at my own pace prior to attempting a road trip like that, in an OLD CAR.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Registered

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
WTB / ISO: G50 911 M491 Coupe
Old 08-18-2020, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Registered

Maybe nobody's told you this yet, but drive it, duh (LOL).

You've got a mechanic you apparently trust who has looked at the car and he seems to think it's good to go on a trip. Perhaps you can have him arrange for the new tires. Those wheels are 16", by the way.

I drove my 911 home from Atlanta to Chicago and I drove my Saab 900 SPG home from Vancouver to Chicago (*that* was a great trip.) 10/10 would do every time.

You can take the direct route down I-75, which is really boring but relatively fast, or f you have more time you can go to southeast Ohio and take lots of great driving roads down the mountains to Atlanta or the Piedmont.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
1979 911 SC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
Tommy z - did you confirm that the SC does, in fact, have 15" wheels? Given the very limited selection of 15" tires for this car, this may be what puts you on the horns of your dilemma -- compromise on tires (or drop big $ on cn36) now or get car delivered and have time to track down/buy/install 16" fuchs/replicas for better tire selection --
Darrin, As it turns out it has 16''s on it. Kumo 205/55 on the front and 225/50's on the rear. It opens up the easy option of purchasing replica 8's for the rear and moving the 7's up front. I would be eating the tires for the 6's if I do that but all in all not too big of an expense and I could always hope to resell the 6's with the rubber on them.

Side note; I moved to Florida from Denver about 4 years ago. I miss the mountains terribly but scraping not the ice off of my windshield in the morning!
Old 08-18-2020, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Drive it Tommy. They love it and you will too. Go for it!
7's and 8's, Steve W chip
Kuehl AC and fresh top end
Old 08-18-2020, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Read some of the other threads on stuff to bring along for the trip. Getting new tires is very wise if the old ones are old. No need to take a ton of tools.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-18-2020, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
Darrin, As it turns out it has 16''s on it. Kumo 205/55 on the front and 225/50's on the rear. It opens up the easy option of purchasing replica 8's for the rear and moving the 7's up front. I would be eating the tires for the 6's if I do that but all in all not too big of an expense and I could always hope to resell the 6's with the rubber on them.

Side note; I moved to Florida from Denver about 4 years ago. I miss the mountains terribly but scraping not the ice off of my windshield in the morning!
Tommy Z -- great news and I have some good news for you too -- the 16x6 front and 16x7 rear setup that the SC is currently running takes the same sized tires as the 16x7 front and 16x8 setup you're contemplating. So, were you to go that route, you'd only be out the cost of remounting the 225/50-16 on your new 16x8s and x-fering the 205/55-16 tires from the 16x6 to 16x7 wheels. Personally, I wouldn't worry about that swap/change/upgrade for a while anyway, the SC's current wheel setup will provide you with a great driving experience.

Small world on CO == I've been able to successfully avoid the ice scraping issue by keeping my Carrera in the garage, but get still get constantly ribbed by my FL friends/family on our weather -- you ARE relatively close to the fine mountain roads/driving scenery in western NC/eastern TN/etc.

SO . . . if you're comfortable with the current COVID-19 complications, I agree that driving it home would be a most excellent experience
Old 08-18-2020, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Drive it.

Remember if you get stuck it's nothing a credit card can't fix.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Drive it! Either have the shop do the tires or find the closest tire shop and order the tires prior to arrival.

I bought my car 3yrs ago, purchase date was just last week. I had PPI done, all ok and no issues to report. Flew up to CA from TX, bought the car and started north, after the first day I realized the tires were 8yrs old and a bubble formed in one of the rears. Had to find a shop on a Sat that had something in stock, wasted a whole day waiting around for tires.
Beside the tires I had the most fun ever! I found every scenic route, backroad, drive through forests, mountains, anything that looked like fun. Took me a whole week to get home and just over 3,100 miles of bonding time! It is worth any risk of breakdown as you’ll have a great story and memory that will last a lifetime.

CTopher
Old 08-18-2020, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
John W

Tommy, Porsche uses shims to adjust the belt tension. There must always be six, some between the pulley halves and some on the outside. Adding shims between the pulley halves increases the space between them causing the belt to ride lower thus losening the tension. Removing shims between the halves brings them closer together and the belt rides higher thus tighter. Remember there always needs to be a total of six between or on the outside.
Enjoy your new ride.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

1979 911 SC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
Tommy Z -- great news and I have some good news for you too -- the 16x6 front and 16x7 rear setup that the SC is currently running takes the same sized tires as the 16x7 front and 16x8 setup you're contemplating. So, were you to go that route, you'd only be out the cost of remounting the 225/50-16 on your new 16x8s and x-fering the 205/55-16 tires from the 16x6 to 16x7 wheels. Personally, I wouldn't worry about that swap/change/upgrade for a while anyway, the SC's current wheel setup will provide you with a great driving experience.

Small world on CO == I've been able to successfully avoid the ice scraping issue by keeping my Carrera in the garage, but get still get constantly ribbed by my FL friends/family on our weather -- you ARE relatively close to the fine mountain roads/driving scenery in western NC/eastern TN/etc.

SO . . . if you're comfortable with the current COVID-19 complications, I agree that driving it home would be a most excellent experience
Thanks Darrin,

Just talked it over with the little lady and we're leaning towards the drive in if I can get all of our ducks in a row in time. I have looked on Tire Rack but really don't know which route to go. That's great news that I can run the 6 & 7 tires on the 7 & 8 inch wheels if and when I pull the trigger and then upgrade to something slightly larger for the next round. Out of my options on the Tire Rack what would you recomend for the 205 and 225 available. I appreciate your help!
Old 08-18-2020, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Registered

If you want to maximize fun, you can drive to SE Ohio rom Findlay (which IIRC is on I-75, no?) and take the triple nickel (highway 555) into WV, from there take whatever looks good southeast and then south/southwest down the spine of the appalachians through WV and VA and NC. From there to Atlanta and then SE through Alabama.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Registered

Drive it! There is nothing like that feeling of a road trip to learn your car. +1 for all the AAA suggestions. Keep us posted and CONGRATS! Looks like a winner of a car.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Registered

Tommy z = although I've never previously been a fan of all season tires, I've really enjoyed the Michelin pilot sport all season 3 tires I'm currently running (a popular tire for these cars), while not at all good in the snow, they provide a nice, predictable experience in wet and dry and don't become rocks when below 50 degrees. they were recently replaced by the Michelin pilot sport all season 4. I previously enjoyed my summer-only continental Extreme Contact DW tires (with separate dedicated winter wheels/tires), the current model of that tire is the Continental Extreme Contact Sport (which I've seen recommended here too) -- those are two good, street-centric options from tire rack to ponder
Old 08-18-2020, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Dragon's Tail... great drive! At speed, passengers don't fare well.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver/Black/Anthracite 930s.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2020, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Registered

I already piped in once to say drive it with new tires belts and maybe a few spares. I agree the ride through NC and GA east of I 75 is beautiful. I have had mine to the Tail of the Dragon as well as bikes. IMHO it is way over rated and at times dangerous as people are trying to break time records on bikes running it and not always staying in their lanes as you meet them or someone else afraid to lean or scraping pipes. Pick an weekday or quiet time to do it. Anyway fun to do once for the experience but the whole area is full of great roads with as nice or better driving experience without the traffic.

Love to see your ride mine is a 83 SC almost 26 years of ownership. I see you have an invite in Knoxville I live about 10 mins off I 75 South of there about 1 1/2 hrs in the Chattanooga area roughly about the 1/2 way point of your trip if you need anything. I grew up in Northern Ohio lived in SE Florida for 35 years now a half back they call me 1/2 way home LOL. Also have an excellent friend that rebuilt my engine in Knoxville should you need anything thing in either area.

I have a lift in my garage if you want to stop and chill for awhile we can pick it up and check out underneath for any leaks and weeps and give ya a Porsche 101 lesson on things Will check back on this site for your thoughts and progress.

Owning a Porsche your part of the club now best of luck what ever you decide to do Dave

Last edited by capt911; 08-19-2020 at 04:23 AM..
Old 08-19-2020, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
1979 911 SC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt911 View Post
I already piped in once to say drive it with new tires belts and maybe a few spares. I agree the ride through NC and GA east of I 75 is beautiful. I have had mine to the Tail of the Dragon as well as bikes. IMHO it is way over rated and at times dangerous as people are trying to break time records on bikes running it and not always staying in their lanes as you meet them or someone else afraid to lean or scraping pipes. Pick an weekday or quiet time to do it. Anyway fun to do once for the experience but the whole area is full of great roads with as nice or better driving experience without the traffic.

Love to see your ride mine is a 83 SC almost 26 years of ownership. I see you have an invite in Knoxville I live about 10 mins off I 75 South of there about 1 1/2 hrs in the Chattanooga area roughly about the 1/2 way point of your trip if you need anything. I grew up in Northern Ohio lived in SE Florida for 35 years now a half back they call me 1/2 way home LOL. Also have an excellent friend that rebuilt my engine in Knoxville should you need anything thing in either area.

I have a lift in my garage if you want to stop and chill for awhile we can pick it up and check out underneath for any leaks and weeps and give ya a Porsche 101 lesson on things Will check back on this site for your thoughts and progress.

Owning a Porsche your part of the club now best of luck what ever you decide to do Dave
Dave, what an amazingly generous offer. I really appreciate it and the rest of the great people on this site! If we drive it and if we have time I would love to stop by and get a 101 from you. I'll keep you in the loop re. our plans. Thanks again!

Old 08-19-2020, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: