Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Another vote for sorting out tires and driving home...there are just too many great roads between there and your destination to miss!

We’ve owned 3 Porsches now, and all 3 have been either fly and drive or Hertz and drive. In all cases the drive home was a memorable adventure that really bonded us with the car.

Congrats and good luck!

Old 08-19-2020, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Replace the tires, keep an eye on the oil pressure and drive it - it will be a great adventure and you will definitely get to know the car. But be fully prepared for a few surprises along the way, including a breakdown (or two). Nothing your credit card and a flatbed can't handle. No matter how good the PPI, bottom line is the car is 40 years old and there may be a few hidden kinks.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
Nothing drives smoother and inspires confidence like new tires. Balanced, aligned and not going to go flat on the trip. Hows the AC? Gonna be hot headed south. Hows the girl friend. She gonna complain if its hot and loud? If AC cant keep up windows open will be the only option. This gets a little annoying after 5+ hours at 90mph...again, how the GF gonna handle.

120k miles, she should be up for it. Keep an eye on oil level / oil consumption. Check with dipstick to confirm gauge is accurate (hot engine at idle (dont over fill...we have all done it)).

Chris
89 Carrera
73 911 E
Old 08-19-2020, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
1979 911 SC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Congrats on the car, Tommy.
How did you find the car for sale?

If you replace the tires, you could order from TireRack and get it delivered to the shop
Hi Sugar, after months of serious searching I finally located this one on the PCA website.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Registered

Assuming the car has had somewhat regular use by the seller (aka hasn’t been sitting for years) I would definitely drive. Will be a great experience. Yep get the tires. And hotels are cheap right now ;/). Fly n Drive is always the way. Because this car is about having fun and experiences. You don’t get either if you ship it. Take fun roads. Enjoy the journey.

Brandon
‘91 Turbo
Old 08-19-2020, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
Darrin, As it turns out it has 16''s on it. Kumo 205/55 on the front and 225/50's on the rear. It opens up the easy option of purchasing replica 8's for the rear and moving the 7's up front. I would be eating the tires for the 6's if I do that but all in all not too big of an expense and I could always hope to resell the 6's with the rubber on them.
I vote to keep this simple, otherwise you're now researching wheel upgrades on a car you don't even own yet.
You might also add a week to delivery time of the replica 8's, which may impact your trip logistics.

You may consider keeping the OEM 6 & 7's, and focus your funds on sorting out the car over the first year or two.
By the time a used car is sold, it often has deferred maintenance that is unseen. Save the cosmetic mods for later, just my idiot opinion.

Tire size:
205/55/16 on the 6" fronts
225/50/16 on the 7" rears.

Get this done, and don't get stuck with paralysis. You need to do this regardless of the drive or ship choice.
So, get this done today. Ship the tires to the shop, assuming they have a tire machine.
They can deliver the tires next day to Findlay Ohio

The Michelin PS4 is a good all-season choice at $589/set.
Conti DWS06 are also a great all-season tire for $491/set.
Conti EXTREMECONTACT SPORT is $501/set if you don't plan to drive in rain or cold

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?autoMake=Porsche&autoYear=1979&autoModel=911SC+Coupe&autoModClar=&frontWidth=205/&frontRatio=55&frontDiameter=16&frontSortCode=44950&rearWidth=225/&rearRatio=50&rearDiameter=16&minSpeedRating=V&rearSortCode=45750

Last edited by sugarwood; 08-19-2020 at 06:53 AM..
Old 08-19-2020, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Full disclosure, I am not yet a mechanic of even modest skill levels but I intend to become one one day. A major appeal of this dreamy purchase is to become capable of wrenching on it and getting to know it intimately.
Tommy,
Congrats on saving and planning and realizing your car dream.
Once the car is settled into your garage, and you're pinching yourself that there is indeed a Porsche 911 in your garage, you can start buying tools.

I started this thread for another guy in your shoes, and it turned out that you can build a nice collection of tools for $1200. Dig into this when the time is right.
Let's create a (realistic and sensible) list of tools for a first time DIY'er

Last edited by sugarwood; 08-19-2020 at 07:03 AM..
Old 08-19-2020, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Drive it!!!!! ,I bought my 81 sc coupe in June . My wife and I flew down to Cali. from the PNW on Sat morning picked up my new to me Baby had lunch with my brother in-law and hit the road. We pulled into the drive way exactly 24 hrs. from when we left the house . All we had were Oil, fan belt and a minimal tool kit Masks Hand sanitizer. Oh and most importantly an absolute trooper of a wife who wanted to do this adventure with me.

Sooo much fun, although along day worth it.

MASK UP! stay safe Enjoy .
Old 08-19-2020, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
1979 911 SC

Garage
Sugarwood, You're absolutely right. I will be holding off on any wheel purchases for a while but good to know the 205's and 225's can transfer if I do. I appreciate the tire suggestions. I'm going to look at all three but will probably land on the Michelin's. It will never see snow but we get some crazy rain storms out of nowhere living right off the Gulf of Mexico so I have to be able to handle that.

I have actually already started to collect some tools. Just a large Husky tool kit, some metric wrench's and some pans etc. I was heading to pick up a floor jack and some jack stands this weekend. I was looking around at the Home Depot when I bought the Huskey set and noticed they have very affordable ramps in the auto department. I thought they would be a great purchase at $50 or so for times when you don't need the wheels free. What are your thoughts on the ramps? Do you use em'?
Old 08-19-2020, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
1979 911 SC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulitr6 View Post
Drive it!!!!! ,I bought my 81 sc coupe in June . My wife and I flew down to Cali. from the PNW on Sat morning picked up my new to me Baby had lunch with my brother in-law and hit the road. We pulled into the drive way exactly 24 hrs. from when we left the house . All we had were Oil, fan belt and a minimal tool kit Masks Hand sanitizer. Oh and most importantly an absolute trooper of a wife who wanted to do this adventure with me.

Sooo much fun, although along day worth it.

MASK UP! stay safe Enjoy .
Paul, Look at you! That's awesome and I love a silver SC. I think your advice is good and I'm glad you did it. I think we are leaning towards that direction as well. I'll let you know.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Looks like a very nice car! Congrats. If y'all end up driving back, make sure to bring a USB charger or power bank for your phone.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Sugarwood, You're absolutely right. I will be holding off on any wheel purchases for a while but good to know the 205's and 225's can transfer if I do. I appreciate the tire suggestions. I'm going to look at all three but will probably land on the Michelin's. It will never see snow but we get some crazy rain storms out of nowhere living right off the Gulf of Mexico so I have to be able to handle that.

I have actually already started to collect some tools. Just a large Husky tool kit, some metric wrench's and some pans etc. I was heading to pick up a floor jack and some jack stands this weekend. I was looking around at the Home Depot when I bought the Huskey set and noticed they have very affordable ramps in the auto department. I thought they would be a great purchase at $50 or so for times when you don't need the wheels free. What are your thoughts on the ramps? Do you use em'?
I'd recommend skipping the ramps and simply getting a floor jack and this https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/106641030.htm?pn=10-6641-030-M230&gclid=CjwKCAjwm_P5BRAhEiwAwRzSO-2heW7SacNcBA44XFjYRl52ex3hmCkTN-1MDGqNPRlNLD5KhzWFphoCEAEQAvD_BwE -- the adaptor plugs into the receiver that's located under each door and allows you to jack up the entire left/right side of the car at once. Have ramps but haven't used them since getting the above (and don't find the need to lift the car to do an oil change) -- also keep in mind that the 911 holds 3 gallons of oil and most of it comes out at once via the oil tank drain plug -- you'll want to be sure your oil catch pan can comfortably hold all of that before you do your first oil change.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Registered

When I bought my 1979 SC I fairly much just checked the oil and water and headed off on a 2,000 mile adventure with a tent and sleeping bag in the back.

Had a great time.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
1979 911 SC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
I'd recommend skipping the ramps and simply getting a floor jack and this https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/106641030.htm?pn=10-6641-030-M230&gclid=CjwKCAjwm_P5BRAhEiwAwRzSO-2heW7SacNcBA44XFjYRl52ex3hmCkTN-1MDGqNPRlNLD5KhzWFphoCEAEQAvD_BwE -- the adaptor plugs into the receiver that's located under each door and allows you to jack up the entire left/right side of the car at once. Have ramps but haven't used them since getting the above (and don't find the need to lift the car to do an oil change) -- also keep in mind that the 911 holds 3 gallons of oil and most of it comes out at once via the oil tank drain plug -- you'll want to be sure your oil catch pan can comfortably hold all of that before you do your first oil change.
Bought one last week in anticipation!
Old 08-19-2020, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Registered

Tommy -- NICE -- sounds like there's no turning back for you

on another note, unless you know the oil was changed within the past 2 years/6k miles, I'd consider having the shop do an oil change for you before the trip -- also would make a lot of sense to swap out the fuel filer if of unknown age (especially if the car's sat for a while) -- a valve adjustment (and general 15k mile service) wouldn't hurt, but are likely less important short-term.

Last edited by darrin; 08-19-2020 at 12:41 PM..
Old 08-19-2020, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Drive it away. My car was in SoCal. I flew in on a Saturday morning and drove it home to San Francisco. The plates were expired, the tires were out of date, the charging system was miswired and I didn’t know how to release the fuel filler. It was fine. I made it home.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
- you'll want to be sure your oil catch pan can comfortably hold all of that before you do your first oil change.
Skip the ramps for now.

No need to own those flat oil pans.
Cheap 2 gallon bucket is all you need.
Way easier to store, as well.

$1.50
https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-2-gal-Homer-Bucket-02GLHDB/205300201

Last edited by sugarwood; 08-19-2020 at 01:06 PM..
Old 08-19-2020, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Skip the ramps for now.

No need to own those flat oil pans.
Cheap 2 gallon bucket is all you need.
Way easier to store, as well.

$1.50
https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-2-gal-Homer-Bucket-02GLHDB/205300201
sugarwood -- I routinely get 8+ quarts out of my oil tank (and only a quart or so out of the sump) and can also use my flat pan to change my oil without jacking up the car -- will the one you liked to fit under the car w/o jacking and is it bigger than 2 gallons? if not little margin for error and/or another step needed to change oil.

Haven't used one of these yet (as I already have an old school flat pan), but my neighbor across the street swears by it -- as it also stores the oil and makes for easy transport/recycling once done (no need to transfer used oil into other containers) -- https://www.amazon.com/FloTool-42003MI-16-Quart-Drain-Container/dp/B0171QLC4S/?tag=cb-global-20 my only real concern would be whether the drain to the storage tank could handle the flow rate from the external oil tank.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
darrin,
Good point about not needing to jack up the car. I do jack up the car. Then, I do it in 2 steps. Drain reservoir, and dump bucket into old 5 qt oil jug. Then drain case, and dump bucket into a second 5 qt oil jug. I always keep the 2 empty jugs for the next oil change. $2 bucket and 2 empty oil jugs.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Registered

Congrats!

Beautiful looking Porsche.

I flew out and drove home. A lot less distance than what you are doing but a long drive.

The seller apparently just drove around the city because when I told him I was driving the 911
home, he kind of had a surprised look on his face.

Take your camera and you will have some nice memories of your trip.

Enjoy.

99 996 man coupe
71 350 Corvette 4 sp ragtop
Old 08-19-2020, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: