Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
1979 911 SC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Exactly! I try to warm up my motor and hit red line every time I drive it. The 911 likes to be "used".

Tommy Z Looking at your route it looks like you are getting on the I-77 and running it all the way down to Columbia. Not sure if there are some specific places you have to hit but that is a bunch of driving straight. The 911 will cruise Interstate at least as good as any other car but the real joy of a road trip is less traveled roads.
I'd look at diverting so you spend less time on big flat slabs and more time in the country. The back roads are so much more adventure. If you pick a route between say, Huntington WV and Asheville NC you will get a bunch more beautiful country and less freeway. (That does get you in the area of the Tail of the Dragon but it is a little over hyped unless you want a really aerobic road.) There are a bunch of wonderful roads in that area that won't disappoint.

Also plan on checking in on your way south because there might be a lot of Pelican people along your path.
Thanks Silver! Based on your post I believe we are going to heed your advice. The reason we started that way was to catch the Triple Nickle in Ohio and then head south. I'm not dying to run the Tail of the Dragon as from what I hear it can be filled with Knuckleheads trying to set records. It being Labor Day weekend I think we'll save it for another trip. Any suggestions for specific roads between Huntington and Asheville? Don't want to go too far out of our way but It needs to be fun too! Thanks for chiming in.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #141 (permalink)
Registered

Agreed that 95 sucks. Getting through Atlanta also sucks, but I'd probably call taking 85/75 less bad than 95.

I have not been as far east as Asheville, but I'm somewhat familiar with the more western parts of the western NC mountains. From Asheville you could go south a bit and then take US64 west through Cashiers, Highlands and Murphy, then US19 south through Blairsville and Dahlonega. Doing this to get from Asheville to Atlanta would take the better part of a day if you don't rush, but would be enjoyable. Stop at Logan Turnpike Mill outside of Blairsville and pick up some grits. PS Cashiers is pronouned "Cash-ers"
Old 09-01-2020, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I haven't read through all the comments, so I apologize if I'm going over items already discussed .
In 2016 I bought a 1980 SC off of BAT, without a PPI or having laid hands on the car. I flew to Fort Worth, TX and drove it home to San Francisco, CA over 3 days using only B roads, mostly between interstates 10 and 40. It was a great way to fall in love with the car. In Google Maps, you can click options and then click "avoid highways". Use that as your guide and research great roads near that route. I did the trip by myself, so I was comfortable with the idea that if the car broke down, I would have it towed to a town where I could have it picked up by a transporter. Trip was great, still have the car and lots of memories of certain stretches of road and the magic of a road trip.
best of luck,
Jared
Old 09-02-2020, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Just saw this post, but would definitely drive it! I had a similar decision to make 5 years ago, chickened out and had it transported, and still regret it. I think they fried the clutch and it would have so much fun. So, enjoy!
Old 09-02-2020, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #144 (permalink)
Registered

We all love a road trip, but I would certainly ship it, for peace of mind. Then take your time and do the extra checks, the maintenance and the million small things it will definitely need. This isn't a hire car that you can just jump in and drive. A problematic trip could cost more and sour your relationship with the car.

Porsche 2003 996 Turbo
Porsche 1988 911 Carrera
Old 09-02-2020, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #145 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: