Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Bringing back the G, with a tuck. (77 911s)

I got my 1st 911 a few years ago. A 1977 911s. Previous owner had converted to 964 bumpers. The car was the right one for me, but Ive never been a fan of putting newer stuff on a older car. I grew up with G-models on my bedroom walls, rubber accordions and all. The original bumpers came with the car.

The day I picked it up:

Ive been driving it like that, with smaller changes the last few years. Planning to build a propper garage, before diving in to change the bumpers. But a visit to the local track this summer put things in motion. A gloriously fun day ended with an exhaust-tip falling of, blowing hot exhaust into the plastic bumper, making it a saggy mess. So I had to choose between a quick fix or to dive in. I dove in.

Trial fittings: (Did I mention plans of a propper garage? A tight squeeze working in my tiny den )

Ive always liked the G-bumpers, but they are a bit on the big side for my tastes. Ive seen bumpers being tucked, so I did some research and some measuring. Had my bumper-tubes cut down and welded. 30 mm front, 25 mm back.

Having done pretty much everything in my tiny garage and driveway, including paint. With very little experience. Im pretty happy with the result:

I never liked the 964 ass on my car. Something was just off. (PS! Noting against 964s. They are beautiful cars!) I do love the new (old) one: (Rear valance is in progress.)

And my new Dansk 2 in, 2 out, exhaust sounds glorious.

The tuck with the smaller 964 smile, was just right in my eyes. About the same amount of bumper, but less rubber:

I think it looks like the car is smiling. I know I am.

Hoping for a long good fall, with lots of driving.

Cheers

Last edited by AndreasK; 09-04-2020 at 07:06 AM..
Old 09-04-2020, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Looks great! Well done.
Instagram: @rennsport98
Old 09-04-2020, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Hell yeah great job and it looked really good before too!
Old 09-04-2020, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Way nicer, looks good.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonT View Post
Hell yeah great job and it looked really good before too!
Thanks. Yeah, it was always a mean little thing, drives well too! I'm by no means an originals cruisader, (unless its very rare 911's) but I'm much happier with it looking like its from the late 70's, as it is👍
Old 09-04-2020, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
May I ask, what did you do to make the accordians fit? Some say heat, some say redrill. But redrill which part?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2020, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbken62 View Post
May I ask, what did you do to make the accordians fit? Some say heat, some say redrill. But redrill which part?
Thanks

You cut the end-part of the bumper. The same amount as you shorten the bumper tubes/shock. My front was 30 mm. You have to be a little creative, cutting the front, to leave the attachment for the side blinkers, in place. But really not a problem. Rear is more straight forward. Then drill new holes 30 mm (in my case) in from the old ones. Mark placement of new holes before cutting. Easier that way. Mine fit like a charm on assembly👍
Old 09-04-2020, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasK View Post
You cut the end-part of the bumper. The same amount as you shorten the bumper tubes/shock. My front was 30 mm. You have to be a little creative, cutting the front, to leave the attachment for the side blinkers, in place. But really not a problem. Rear is more straight forward. Then drill new holes 30 mm (in my case) in from the old ones. Mark placement of new holes before cutting. Easier that way. Mine fit like a charm on assembly

Great explanation. Next project. I already shortened my front tubes 1 inch and have the 964 smiley. Just was not sure. I have the oil cooler duct where the side marker light was as well.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbken62 View Post
Great explanation. Next project. I already shortened my front tubes 1 inch and have the 964 smiley. Just was not sure. I have the oil cooler duct where the side marker light was as well.

Nice! I want the oil cooler duct too. Needs a little trimming to get under the accordions, by that shouldnt be a problem.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Very good job. Fine looking car. Kudos.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Thank you Thank you Thank you.....

I've watched Chip Foose on Overhaulin tuck bumpers on numerous cars and always thought it was pretty cool. I've been looking at my bumpers and trying to figure out how it would look so much better this way.

Do you have any pic of where to cut the shock tubes?

Nice build !!!!
Old 09-05-2020, 12:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXer23 View Post
Thank you Thank you Thank you.....

I've watched Chip Foose on Overhaulin tuck bumpers on numerous cars and always thought it was pretty cool. I've been looking at my bumpers and trying to figure out how it would look so much better this way.

Do you have any pic of where to cut the shock tubes?

Nice build !!!!
Haha, thanks. Chip Foose, king of the bumper tuck😀

If you look at the picture of the bumper tubes you can see the welds. Its cut as clse to the cabin as possible. Leaving only the backplate, with the single bolt, to be weldes back on the tube. I think it is the strongest sollution. But as long as your weld isnt under where the clamp is, I think youll be ok. I had a pro do the welding, as I was told the tin aluminium should be TIG welded. Im no welder😉

Ive also seen it done with US bomper shocks. Then you drill a hole, to lett the fluids out. Compress the shocks to your desired length, an seccure with a skrew.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Looks much better! Was there any install damage to fixed from removing the side skirts?
Old 09-05-2020, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Porsche Addict

The black paint on your car makes everything mesh together. It looks good. I'm in the middle of doing stock bumpers on my '78, so I looked at all of your details.

Pretty good for your first attempt!!!
Old 09-05-2020, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbay View Post
Looks much better! Was there any install damage to fixed from removing the side skirts?
Paint got damaged. They were glued on pretty good. Did a blend paint job, looked OK. Completely covered by the Porsche script😂

Last edited by AndreasK; 09-05-2020 at 10:15 AM..
Old 09-05-2020, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larmo63 View Post
The black paint on your car makes everything mesh together. It looks good. I'm in the middle of doing stock bumpers on my '78, so I looked at all of your details.

Pretty good for your first attempt!!!
Thanks! Good luck! Pretty straight forward. But soo many different small parts and bits to keep control on, and soo many tight spaces😂 But its well worth the effort👌
Old 09-05-2020, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Yeah, I think I like the G as a G too.

Sweet car by the way!
Old 09-05-2020, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Nice work. Beautiful car!
Old 09-06-2020, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered

Andreas, I like your center taillight panel. What did you do to get that finish?
Old 09-06-2020, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter74 View Post
Andreas, I like your center taillight panel. What did you do to get that finish?
Its a after market reflector, smoked. With a matte black Porsche sticker. Wanted something a little different and I think it looks good👍

Got both from a shop in the UK.

Last edited by AndreasK; 09-06-2020 at 11:17 AM..
Old 09-06-2020, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: