Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Noise from rear - all options covered? (Plus a big thank-you)

It took me over a year - intermittent periods of inactivity mixed with solid days of effort - but I finally got my SC back on the road. Literally went through everything mechanical with the exception of engine internals and electrical system.

Gotta say that I NEVER could've done it without the help of this awesome forum and everyone who contributes to it: all the way from the generous gurus such as John Walker, Chuck Moreland, Bill Verburg, Peter Zimmerman et al to all the veteran regulars (you know who you are) and assorted other members to aren't yet into the 1,000+ post category. This forum is like a trusty security blanket, that's the best way I can describe it.

And so, everything feels good but I am experiencing a hard clunk/thunk from the rear suspension over hard bumps. Did the search and the usual suspects appear to be broken sway bar mounts (checked, I do have a new 25mm bar installed); tranny mounts (also new Wevo units and checked); rear wheel bearings (new units lnstalled). I double-checked suspension bolts on trailing arms, spring plates, rear shocks, drop links, etc. The sway bar doesn't appear to have any damage from hitting the tranny mount either.

What about these possibilities? I installed new Elephant polybronze bearings which weren't as snug of a fit as the stock rubber - easy slip fit with a slight amount of play. Could these be making the noise or are they secured fully by the torsion bar covers?

I also installed new rear shocks, custom valved RSR Bilsteins. The oem bump stops didn't fit the shafts so I left them off - was that a mistake? Could installing the top bushings in the engine bay backwards be causing the noise?

Thanks again everyone

Last edited by mtl911sc; 09-27-2020 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: Added info
Old 09-27-2020, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Try removing one thing at a time, first disconnect one side of the rear sway bar then drive it .
Then one rear shock, and so on . it will eliminate possibilities one step at a time .
Ian
Hank Clarkson ,Craig Waldner ,Don Kean ,Leroy Axel Gains
Old 09-27-2020, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

The top bushing of some shocks require a bottom washer, bushings, then top washer. I forgot the bottom washers and got a very noticeable knock at each bump.

Hopefully your knock is as easy to find.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solamar View Post
The top bushing of some shocks require a bottom washer, bushings, then top washer. I forgot the bottom washers and got a very noticeable knock at each bump.

Hopefully your knock is as easy to find.
Thanks for the tip Solamar. Dropped both shocks and discovered that the right side only had one bushing and washer instead of two like on the left side

Can't remember how that happened but I'll be ordering the missing parts and figure that should solve the noise once I reinstall.

Last edited by mtl911sc; 09-28-2020 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-28-2020, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

If the washer sequence on the shocks is OK, it could be a swing arm bushing. I had that problem on my '72.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Have you torqued all the CV joint bolts - inner and outer?
Old 09-29-2020, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Yep I did but I should re-check them anyway since I read they can become loose.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: