Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Buy a large top-tapered funnel (like the orange or blue one ) with a wide filler neck and cut the bottom of the filler neck to size. You only need enough to stick down into the filler tube. Been using it for years
Steve

Old 10-19-2020, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missed Approach View Post
Hi Anglophone1 -Thank you- that's beautiful! I will email ajd directly (beats my cutting board & sheet metal screw solution by a mile).
Hi - just sent you an email - only just saw it in my inbox.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Danned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAtarga View Post
Guy over on Rennlist posted a thread just yesterday on this funnel at Walmart that's just over $1. It's sold as a funnel for DEF, but looks like the shape would be perfect for the 911 oil fill neck. It was recommended on Rennlist for the 997TT models.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-DEF-Diesel-Exhaust-Fluid-funnel-10732WRHT/370116357

I got one - it needs to be bigger but may still replace what I use now.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
'73 911 T Targa

Garage
Here’s a picture of my “Oil IV”. I fill the bucket with the appropriate amount oil and sit it or hang it somewhere higher than the fill. The end that goes on the fill has a valve to turn the flow on and off and a big magnet to hold it in place.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Almost Done

Garage
stoooopid question

when filling, I assume its important to avoid oil going into the "dipstick" tube or does it not matter?
Old 11-02-2020, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7783911 View Post
stoooopid question

when filling, I assume its important to avoid oil going into the "dipstick" tube or does it not matter?
It does not matter. It all drains into the tank. The dipstick tube is just a holder to keep the dipstick handy. LOTS of people have dropped a dipstick into the tank. I never have because I always make sure it get it in the hole.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 11-02-2020, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
antifreeze funnel

I just use an antifreeze funnel. My daughter and I came up with a system where she pours it in while I open the container. She’s pretty good at pouring it right in without letting too much drip into the engine bay.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I purchased, from my local shop, a plastic jug with a flexible spout that holds 5L if oil.
It pours cleanly and just fill it twice (10L) and you're finished.
The garages use them for a reason.
They charged me $20 .
For top ups I use a sm funnel that screws to the top of the litre (quart) jugs.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

$1.89 at Home Depot, cut a couple inches off the bottom. Fits securely in the filler neck and flows ~ 1 gallon in 10 seconds without backing up.

Old 11-09-2020, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Danned

Garage
I have 2 of those long tranny funnels, and I cut out part of the top on one to make an empty slot for a bottle to sit in.

But I like the one below better:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAtarga View Post
Guy over on Rennlist posted a thread just yesterday on this funnel at Walmart that's just over $1. It's sold as a funnel for DEF, but looks like the shape would be perfect for the 911 oil fill neck. It was recommended on Rennlist for the 997TT models.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-DEF-Diesel-Exhaust-Fluid-funnel-10732WRHT/370116357

It is too small - maybe some enterprising person will use it as a mold for a version in FG.

or scan it - blow it up a bit and make a 3d printer run

-------

we also have not had a rousing discussion of oil drain pans recently...
Old 11-09-2020, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Sorry... I'm getting too old to be "hunched over" while hand pouring 10 qts of motor oil ...

This is definitely NOT your low cost option...but works great for me and my back. The plastic funnel with a 1" NPT thread was $12US on Amazon. Fortunately for me...the copper fittings and pipe were leftovers and scrap...

All I do is zip-tie it tight to the engine cover hinge, dump in a quart of SWEPCO, and walk away for a few minutes while I open and prepare the next quart. The copper never touches any painted surface, like the fender, and I normally have a towel there for any drips, but didn't for the photo

Old 11-16-2020, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
I like the ability to walk away with this one! Nice solution you have there
Old 11-16-2020, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Registered

I have a funnel from Redline to change the oil on my Guzzi. It works pretty well on the 911 too.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Danned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amorgenthau View Post
Sorry... I'm getting too old to be "hunched over" while hand pouring 10 qts of motor oil ...

This is definitely NOT your low cost option...but works great for me and my back. The plastic funnel with a 1" NPT thread was $12US on Amazon. Fortunately for me...the copper fittings and pipe were leftovers and scrap...

All I do is zip-tie it tight to the engine cover hinge, dump in a quart of SWEPCO, and walk away for a few minutes while I open and prepare the next quart. The copper never touches any painted surface, like the fender, and I normally have a towel there for any drips, but didn't for the photo

I'm gonna build one - be nice if it took 1 gallon containers
Old 11-19-2020, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Guy over on Rennlist built something similar using PVC fittings. Be much cheaper.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solamar View Post
$1.89 at Home Depot, cut a couple inches off the bottom. Fits securely in the filler neck and flows ~ 1 gallon in 10 seconds without backing up.
I have the same funnel from ACE Hardware, took me by surprise how awful the backing up was. First time I used it lost about a 1/2 quart on top of the engine because of the overflow.

I will cut the bottom off as you have done.
George, Architect
Old 11-20-2020, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
$1 at Pep Boys

https://www.pepboys.com/hopkins-flotool-red-oil-spout/product/8476612

1988 Carrera 3.2 Targa - purchased in 1992 and still thriving. Boy, do I love this car
Old 11-20-2020, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: