Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
1979 911 SC

Garage
AC Belt replacement advice need please

Happy Sunday All! It's still hotter than Hades here in SW Florida and I am trying to change the AC belt in my 79' SC. It broke on our inaugural drive home with the car last month. I ordered this new belt from our host but I'm concerned it may be too small. After loosening the adjustment bolts on the compressor, I still couldn't get the belt over the pulley. I removed the bolts all together to tilt the compressor and was able to get the belt on but it is so tight I can't get the compressor back in place. It's close and if I really crank on the compressor I may be able to get that back bolt on but the compressor will be nowhere near it's previous spot on the mount, it will be much closer and the belt seems like it will be super tight. I don't want to put unnecessary pressure on that lower pulley so I've stopped to check in with anyone willing to weigh in. Does this look like the correct belt and if so, what do you think I might be doing wrong? I realize it's probably a pretty stupid question.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
A/c

Did you buy the belt from our host?

Is the compressor factory original?

pm me as needed.

Best,

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 10-25-2020, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
1979 911 SC

Garage
Hi Gerry,

Yup it's from PP. To the best of my knowledge it's original. It's a York and looks to be.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I had this problem. Take the belt to any Napa, ask them to measure it and give you one size up belt. No more than 5 mm longer.
Two-wheel art: Ducati 907IE, Ducati 851
Old 10-25-2020, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The shop did not change this belt when it was prepping the car for you?
Old 10-25-2020, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
1979 911 SC

Garage
Sugarwood. The work order did not mention the belt but either way it broke. I would have thought they would have but who knows. I got a slightly larger belt from Autozone and that worked but the temperature of the air blowing out is pretty lame. I'm going to try and save up for the Griffiths system this winter. The quote from Grif for my system was just over $4K and he was pretty insistent that I needed that whole package to make it work effectively down here with a black car in SW Florida. That's a tall order but I simply won't be able to drive it for most of the year without some help from the AC. Saving my pennies! Next up is to take a look at the shifter bushings to see if they are worn or not. The coupler looked pretty fresh so I may just have to accept that the 915 is a challenging transmission and tis is as good as it gets. After this I'll be looking at going through the car to replace as many suspension bushings and motor and tranny mounts as I can get to.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Tommy.the York A/C compressor take very special belt absolutely not the one on the picture...
Ivan
Old 10-25-2020, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Tommy, if it's 85 degrees there now, how bad does it get in summer?

Old 10-25-2020, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: