Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Targa top handles question

This is likely one of the dumbest questions but it bothers me about my targa top:

The driver side targa top handle on my car will not come out. It works perfectly though. The passenger side handle comes in and out with ease. I assume the handles are supposed to be removable.

Any suggestions to get the driver side handle out? Or should I just leave a working targa top alone?

As per my signature this is for a 1972 911T targa....

Old 11-03-2020, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
They don't come out. Its a cam locking system. Handle up is locked. Handle down is disengaged. With both handles down, the top should lift off. The pins go in the holes in the back targa bar.

'77 911S Targa with '82 SC 3.0
'06 Lotus Elise
Old 11-03-2020, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

So the handles are not supposed to be removable?

The top operates perfectly otherwise-- unlatched with the handle down; latched with the handle parallel with the top. Pins are good at the back of the top.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

what ??? on my 78 targa both handles are removeable..

but that said I DO NOT REMOVE THEM

they are the perfect visual and engineering control that the roof is not locked.

with them pointed down the roof is not locked and you cant lift the visor as the handle is in the way.
This is an EXCELLENT indicator you are about to drive away with the roof not locked down, which is a VERY VERY costly mistake many have made.
2014 Audi A4 2.0T Technik (Audi Support Vehicle)
Old 11-03-2020, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Well, I've never tried to remove mine. It is not necessary to take them out to remove the top. Not sure what the point of removing them would be other than to give me a chance to lose them.

'77 911S Targa with '82 SC 3.0
'06 Lotus Elise
Old 11-03-2020, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
They're removable. On an early targa, the handle has two pins on opposite sides, there is a cylinder inside the top that they twist and lock into. You may have to take the top off and try to twist and wiggle it free.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

My passenger side handle would fall off if I leave it in place while driving. My driver side handle will not come out even if I pull on it while the top is unlocked. I guess my targa top is weird. But it works.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldstart View Post
My passenger side handle would fall off if I leave it in place while driving. My driver side handle will not come out even if I pull on it while the top is unlocked. I guess my targa top is weird. But it works.
go with it ... if its pointed down its not locked,,, if its up all is good !!!

a buddy of mine lost his roof as he was putting it in at a gas station while filling. As usual someone asked him about his car and they chatted, that moments distraction was all it took ,
pulling onto the highway away at went .. cost him about 6G
2014 Audi A4 2.0T Technik (Audi Support Vehicle)
Old 11-03-2020, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Targa top handles.

Having owned several Targas, the handles have always been removable.

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 11-03-2020, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
'73 911 T Targa

Garage
Mine do the same thing. Passenger side comes out accidentally sometimes, driver side stays in. I get the impression if you turn it past the unlocked position and yanked hard enough, theyd both come out. Ill soon find out because Im getting ready to replace the trim pieces.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

An interesting thing I found when looking for a second Targa top key is they came in two different shaft lengths (also other style for early/late).

The short shaft flavor is more desirable if you leave the key in the top full time as it looks better / doesn't stick out so far.

Short 911SC style targa key -
Old 11-03-2020, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
There is a wire spring clip (like a wire circlip) wrapped around the key socket. This clip drops into the slot cut near the end of the key on two sides, to position and hold the key inside the socket. You should be able to pull it out. If not, remove the T-top to the bench and remove the latch mechanism. Pry off the wire clip and try to work out why the key is sticking.... best of luck!
Old 11-03-2020, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Porsche Addict

I've had long and short handles, both with the smooth "peppered" finish.

There are also what I think are early handles that are flat on the front with almost an "arrow" type embossing on the front. I run those on my '78 because they are a matched set.

All the handles I've had fit my top, work to lock/latch it, and come out with some fiddling.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-04-2020, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: