Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Showdown very nice! I’m impressed with the coat hanger hole, that was clever. Did you end up ordering the LEDs from one my earlier posts or a different set of lights? I had to cut a slit in the silicone to get the LEDs to fit, but I silicone it back up to keep it waterproof.

I tried to stuff open cell foam in front of the lights but it blocked it too much. It would have been nice to be able to hide everything and then have the light shine though. I am going to mess with some ideas tomorrow.

Old 11-20-2020, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I had a roll of super bright LEDs from another unrelated project that were pretty much identical to the ones you used. I trimmed .5mm from each side of the LED strip and then filled the silicone tube with talc. I tied a fishing line to the end of the LED strip and going slowly while pushing and pulling I was able to get it through. That said, the LEDs are waterproof so it wasn’t a big deal- I only realized that afterward though!

As I mentioned my car seems to have less space than yours does so the silicone channel sits back about a cm so it’s not visible from the outside.

I think that without having access to the whole roof from the inside (a bare metal situation) this is the best we’ll get. With full access the sky is the limit.

The good thing is that the roofline is right at where the driver of a larger or taller car is looking so any lights there are really visible.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Any secret to hooking up the wires to the LED strip? Also, do you have the Amazon links for the end caps you used?
Thanks for documenting this, it's a great resource!
Bill
Old 11-20-2020, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You have to solder the wires to the led strips. It helps to put a dab of hot glue or silicone on the solder area as well. I didn’t use any end caps for fear that they would be too large- you can certainly use electrical tape or silicone to seal the ends.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
what is behind the roof? What type of obstacle did you encounter over such a small distance between the vents and the hole of the coat hanger?
Old 11-21-2020, 01:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
In my car (1977S) there is a little cavity about 1-1.5” from the outer edge of the roof vents to a lip where I presume there’s some bracing or whatnot to add support for the roof. In addition, my roof has padding between the vinyl liner and the sheet metal. So once I entered the roof vent from the outside it wasn’t a straight shot- the wire/string/endoscope had to jog up over that lip and then immediately down below the padding. Then every 6” or so the vinyl liner has a seam that goes vertical and creates a wall so to speak. I only had to deal with one of those and luckily the endoscope was rigid enough that it pushed past the seam.

Again, these weren’t major hurdles once I wrapped my head around them but it wasn’t a straight shot without resistance.

Definitely the hardest part was getting the endoscope fed through the hole in the vinyl and into that little cavity area near the roof vent. The rest was pretty easy.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Showdown, that’s impressive! I, too, would be very pleased with those results. No sunroof here (912E-3.0) either. Nice to see your handiwork.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Registered

All the parts are listed in one of my posts on page 2. The led comes with pre-soldered leads one each end, no need to solder.

I had old crumbly black foam in my vent. I’m going to slip in the LED and then stuff A/C foam behind it again.

Last edited by Andnkuhn; 11-21-2020 at 06:09 PM..
Old 11-21-2020, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Registered

I thought about this mod a while ago but didn’t get anywhere with it yet .
I was looking into the led strips they fit in the gap under the tailgates of pick-up trucks .
Ive seen some the do that “flashing line” indicator thing as well as brakes which I thought would be a neat touch .
I never got around to doing research on lengths available etc .
My interior is stripped and caged , so will be much easier for me .
If Anyone needs photos of this area without headlining etc , let me know and lll go snap some
Old 11-21-2020, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I’d love to see those photos if only so I have a better understanding of what the hell is going on there!!
Old 11-21-2020, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Registered

Gimme a minute to clear space in the garage
Old 11-21-2020, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Registered

Here’s a few quick ones .
Let me know if you need more .
Or if they’re not clear enough , I’ll blue-tape the cage is it might make the background clearer .

Btw , my car is a 73 non-sunroof .
The gap in the rear vent is tiny .
The inner cover that’s in the first pic can be seen in the bottom making the slots even smaller than the pressing .

Old 11-21-2020, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Registered

Here are a few pics showing the inner cover protruding into the outer vent opening .
It’s not a lot , But cuts down on what is allready a very small opening to thread the led strip through .
There is also something else going on in the outermost vent on each side that could hinder them 2 being used

Old 11-21-2020, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Registered

Ian the LEDs i suggested are ~2-3mm, they come in a clear silicone case that can def. squish to fit in the tiny space. Those clip looking things, are hey only at each end? Couldn’t you use the center vents only?
Old 11-21-2020, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Registered

I’ll go take another look , but I think they’re just in th 2 outermost vents .
It looks like the small device you used will fit In front of Of it though as they’re set back into the vent .
They could maybe even be utilized to hod the led strip in place ?

No big deal on my car ....
If I have to grind/weld/drill , what’s a little more grinding/welding/drilling
Old 11-21-2020, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Registered

Mission complete!

Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: