Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Theon Design - Roof Vent Rear Brake Light

I saw this in a Tiff Needell video, where is he shows Theon Design added a very cool rear break light into the roof vent.

Anyone know how this could be done?

Skip to 3:40 - https://youtu.be/lbRs-zI1WwY

zI1WwY

Old 11-07-2020, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Very cool. I would imagine it's installed when the headliner is removed.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Did it a couple of years ago after a near miss rear ender with 12v LED strips wired into the brake lights . I think I bought them on Amazon . Works great , can't see them unless they're on .
Old 11-07-2020, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

BTY , installed from the outside . only had to open sunroof zipper to fish wires down to engine compartment .
Old 11-07-2020, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf911 View Post
BTY , installed from the outside . only had to open sunroof zipper to fish wires down to engine compartment .
what lights did you use?
Old 11-07-2020, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Sf911 Iím so glad you saw this and commented! Do you recall any more details on how you did it? Maybe run a long pig tail from the LED strip through the roof (via zipper) in & down the cabin pillar and back into the engine bay? Did you simply tap into the left or right brake wire(s)? Any grounding required? It sounds like itís been awhile but any info is helpful, so thanks!
Old 11-07-2020, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
I want to do the same while my headliner is out. I have two LED assemblies called plasma rods that I would live to fit in there, however my roof appears to be sealed off on the inside.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Old 11-08-2020, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

I still have my headliner, I unzipped my headliner and underneath is like a 3/16Ē MDF covered in an old foam. While sitting in the back right seat there appears to be a 1Ē hole cut into the mdf. Iím curious if that leads to the area at the roof louvers?

I found some low profile silicone tube LEDs (5mm x 12mm) that I think would snugly slip into the louver holes from outside and then a pigtail or lead could be fished through that hole?
Old 11-08-2020, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
What are the dimensions if that light bar? Are you planning on installing it from the outside or inside?
Old 11-08-2020, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Measurements are 12 x 1 x .4 inches. I have no idea how I'm going to install. Looks like I'm going to have to cut some metal on the inside to make it fit.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

I really dig the in-vent look. For those looking for a possibly easier route, I believe the rear light from the Cayman fits well and is essentially hidden when installed.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

I'm pretty sure that I got them off of Amazon . I used two 12in self adhesive strips , they are very small but very bright . The strips are only 3/8in. by 1/8 to 3/16th . They were inserted through the far left vent hole and the wires fished through into the space where the sunroof motor is . The wires were then pushed down the pillar to the engine compartment and spliced into the brake lights just in front of the plug .
Old 11-08-2020, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
1988 Carrera

Garage
I would love to get rid of third brake light in my 88'. The present light takes up the best 1/3 of the rear view. But as I understand it I would still have the black outline on the window.
72'914 gone
72' 914 gone too
Old 11-08-2020, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
@sf911
Did you fish the wires up through the engine compartment to the roof or down into the engine from the roof?

Iím trying to imagine how to do this on a non sunroof car- Iím thinking I might have to follow the dome lights path through the front pillar...

In any event, a brilliantly elegant solution.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
razor blade the black outline?
Old 11-08-2020, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Showdown - i like that idea of running the wire to the dome light and to the front from there. i turned the lights off on my garage and could see a doable path that way with a flash light. Once in the front/trunk how would you power it? (I’m a novice when it comes to wiring)

I found a tiny LED strip that is 2mm x 6mm and a flexible silicone channel for it to fit into so the light will diffuse.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I think the easiest thing to do would be to tap into the brake lights wiring as they come off the fuse box- it shouldnít be that difficult but the wiring on these 911s is a whole other bag of worms.

I think an electricianís wire snake is key here and I do worry about destroying the foam in the headliner.

Encouraging that you can see a path!

Iím going to take a look tomorrow to see what paths I can find. Plus, sealing up the roof vents will help cut down noise and water ingress.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Please share the link for your led strip in silicone as mine are much larger
Old 11-09-2020, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showdown View Post
@sf911
Did you fish the wires up through the engine compartment to the roof or down into the engine from the roof?

Iím trying to imagine how to do this on a non sunroof car- Iím thinking I might have to follow the dome lights path through the front pillar...

In any event, a brilliantly elegant solution.
I fished the wires into the sunroof motor area then down the pillar ,under the headliner , to the rear parcel shelf . Then through the grommet for the rear window defroster wires to the engine compartment . It would be much harder with a non sunroof car as accessing the inside of the headliner is much harder . The only access you really have is thru the interior light or removing the rear window . Hope this helps .

Old 11-09-2020, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: