Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
keying key blank to bonnet / trunk lock and glove box lock?

Hi everyone. I tried a search for this but didn't find much.

I don't know the entire history of my car but at one time a new ignition was put in and I only have a key for it and not the doors, glove box and trunk / bonnet lock as I have a targa. I don't care about the doors as I would probably not lock my car in most / all situations given the targa top is much more expensive to repair than anything I may have in the car. But I would like to have a working key for the glove box and trunk lock, assuming they are the originals. Is it possible to have a locksmith make one of these (basically a valet key) for these two locks? Has anyone done this before?

TIA,

Scott

- 85 Euro 3.2 with x-faktory EFI ITB + SSI + Dansk, 915 + Wevo, flares + IROC bumpers + duck tail, RS door panels, Corbeau LG1 microsuede seats, Speedware harness bar + drop links + Scroth DOT harnesses, adj Tarett sways, sport shocks, alloy trailing arms, Elephant Racing oil lines + spring plates + bushings, RSR Rota Foxes + Bridgestone S-04 PP, 2450 lbs

Last edited by sbrown.nw; 11-10-2020 at 01:11 PM..
Old 11-10-2020, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Scott - might be easier/more straightforward to have a locksmith re-pin the tumblers in your door /hood / glove box locks to match the pins in your ignition lock. While I hear you on not locking doors, around here thieves like to pop door handles for open doors and then use an open door as an excuse to rummage through (and be destructive to) a car's interior (i.e. crowbar the glove box open BEFORE even checking to see if it's locked, crowbar out radio/etc. I'd rather have my car pass the locked door test than not.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
My car still has all original locks. The black key will work on the doors, ignition, the trunk lock and the glove box lock. And I use all of them. The red key only works on the doors and ignition.

You should be able to go to a dealer with your title and have them cut you a new key, or order it to fit any original lock. That would get you in everything but the ignition. I think it is possible to re-key the ignition lock if it is removed.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 11-10-2020, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
There's a tutorial on Pelican How Tos. It takes a little time, and the tumblers can be stubborn, but it can be done. I just finished my door locks to match ignition.

Old 11-10-2020, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
I agree with two of the posters.
Our '86 Targa has black key for all locations
except for the rear seat delete.

For the RSD, I had a shop replace
the wafers in the two locks.

Your black key should work as described.

Best,

Gerry

Last edited by 86 911 Targa; 11-11-2020 at 12:33 PM..
Old 11-10-2020, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

It is not difficult to remove the tumblers from the doors, glove box and Frunk lock. I had a local locksmith rekey these to match my ignition key. Not terribly expensive.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 11-10-2020, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryD View Post
It is not difficult to remove the tumblers from the doors, glove box and Frunk lock. I had a local locksmith rekey these to match my ignition key. Not terribly expensive.
this -- I'd avoid messing with the ignition lock
Old 11-10-2020, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

This old post shows the differences between the regular and Valet key. The Cuts are the same. Note the grooves in the two keys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fintstone View Post
Same thickness, just cut a little differently. Sorry about the poor quality of the cell phone photo. Original '74 master and valet key:

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 11-10-2020, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Any links how to do this?
- 85 Euro 3.2 with x-faktory EFI ITB + SSI + Dansk, 915 + Wevo, flares + IROC bumpers + duck tail, RS door panels, Corbeau LG1 microsuede seats, Speedware harness bar + drop links + Scroth DOT harnesses, adj Tarett sways, sport shocks, alloy trailing arms, Elephant Racing oil lines + spring plates + bushings, RSR Rota Foxes + Bridgestone S-04 PP, 2450 lbs
Old 11-10-2020, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Googling "remove tumbler from 911 door handle," I found this tech article https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/mult_lock_rekey/mult_lock_rekey.htm -- looks to be pretty straightforward
Old 11-10-2020, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

The ignition lock is no harder than the doors to rekey. This is the path I took with my 84 after I got it. it came with the original keys which worked everything but the ignition. It also had Porsche supplied keys for the replacement ignition. I chose to rekey the ignition, as that way the original key code for the car would still be correct, plus that way I only had to rekey one cylinder instead of four. I also created a key for the missing alarm key. You can see the thread here, and the same process could be used to create a key for your missing door, GB and trunk key if necessary.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76FJ55 View Post
The ignition lock is no harder than the doors to rekey. This is the path I took with my 84 after I got it. it came with the original keys which worked everything but the ignition. It also had Porsche supplied keys for the replacement ignition. I chose to rekey the ignition, as that way the original key code for the car would still be correct, plus that way I only had to rekey one cylinder instead of four. I also created a key for the missing alarm key. You can see the thread here, and the same process could be used to create a key for your missing door, GB and trunk key if necessary.
Rekeying the lock is not hard, it is removing the lock assembly from the car to be able to access the tumbler which is hard. If the assembly is not installed yet, I would agree that rekeying one to the original code is better than rekeying the others.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 11-11-2020, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Rekeying the lock is not hard, it is removing the lock assembly from the car to be able to access the tumbler which is hard. If the assembly is not installed yet, I would agree that rekeying one to the original code is better than rekeying the others.
What is so difficult in removing it from the car? I agree there are a couple shear head bolts that need to be removed, but a Dremel with cutoff wheel will slot the heads in the matter of a few seconds then you just use a flat blade screwdriver and turn them out.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

In the Pelican Parts article, they show a "re-keying kit", they show it in this pic :

I have searched everywhere for this kit but I could not find it, do I need this kit to re-key my door key cylinders to match my ignition key?
Old 11-12-2020, 01:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaro View Post
In the Pelican Parts article, they show a "re-keying kit", they show it in this pic :

I have searched everywhere for this kit but I could not find it, do I need this kit to re-key my door key cylinders to match my ignition key?
FWIW, When I asked my locksmith where do you get the wafers and other parts, he smiled and said, bring the cylinder to me.

To my way of thinking, At $40 each it is not a skill I need to learn.

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 11-12-2020, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: