Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Help!!! Stuck on the side of the road

SOS! Was happily driving along music playing when I noticed a horrible noise...starter motor was constantly engaged with the key on or off...I quickly managed to pull over and disconnect the battery...now im stuck on the side of the road. Any suggestions? Thanks! Thinking itís the starter barrel. Is there a way to isolate the starter motor so I can limp home after a push start?

Old 11-19-2020, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I would call AAA tow and not chance anymore damage or fire.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 SLANT View Post
I would call AAA tow and not chance anymore damage or fire.
Theyíre on the way...thought Iíd trouble shoot if there was a way while I wait the 3 hours for the tow truck!
Old 11-19-2020, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

what year car?
Old 11-19-2020, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76fj55 View Post
what year car?
83 sc.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I assume the starter disengages when the engines running even if itís turning over? There wasnít a grinding noise. Just the sound of the starter and vibration through the gearbox.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Cam chains grinding?
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 11-19-2020, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
No engine running fine, just the sound of the starter, engine on or off starter constantly running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2020, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Still here

Garage
I say it's your ignition switch.

Time to tow unless someone knows how to hotwire.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
I say it's your ignition switch.

Time to tow unless someone knows how to hotwire.

I agree. Ignition switch feels worn. Was hoping there might be a way I can disconnect the starter from the ignition switch and jump start it. But tow trucks only 30 minutes away now...so Iím committed to that.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76FJ55 View Post
what year car?

1983 SC

Old 11-19-2020, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

did you have your heat turned on?
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
did you have your heat turned on?

No

Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Then I'm pretty sure it is the ignition switch. in which case you would need to disconnect the yellow wire from the starter.

If you do that, I would make sure the car is in neutral and the parking brake set, before reconnecting the battery. I would then just tap the battery lead to make sure the starter doesn't spin before making the full connection.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Then I'm pretty sure it is the ignition switch. in which case you would need to disconnect the yellow wire from the starter.

If you do that, I would make sure the car is in neutral and the parking brake set, before reconnecting the battery. I would then just tap the battery lead to make sure the starter doesn't spin before making the full connection.
Thanks for all the comments, disconnected the starter and all was ok. Jump started and drove home. A new ignition switch will be ordered first thing. Glad to be home!
Old 11-19-2020, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Glad it worked out and you made it home safely.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quick question. Is keys reluctance to spring back to on after start a problem with the electrical or mechanical side of the ignition switch?

Old 11-20-2020, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Steve, you are ordering only the electrical portion of the ignition switch,correct?

Hello from Carlsbad in Czech Republic;-)the original one...;-)

Ivan
Old 11-20-2020, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by proporsche View Post
Steve, you are ordering only the electrical portion of the ignition switch,correct?

Hello from Carlsbad in Czech Republic;-)the original one...;-)

Ivan

Hi Ivan! I imagine your Carlsbad is a little colder than mine! Ha. So the symptoms were the starter was engaged regardless of key position. This happened out of nowhere, I had been driving all day with no problems. So Iím assuming itís just the electrical portion of the starter. That said the spring back from start to on feels weak. So Iím wondering is the spring back a part of the electrical switch or the mechanical component of the ignition. Hoping I donít need to replace the expensive bit!

Old 11-20-2020, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
yes just get the electrical portion ..It is a little pitta to do but doable;-)there is big load spring in the el.portion ....
Yup you got it ,today only 4 Celsius;-)
Been many times in Carlsbad, on the nice beaches there;-)

Old 11-20-2020, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: