Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

991.2 gt2 rs oil change

Does anyone have the tech sheet that describe the procedure and torque specs? Thanks!

Old 11-23-2020, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Racer

You should post this in the "Porsche 996/997/991 Forum".
PCA GT-3R #3
Old 11-23-2020, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_4life View Post
Does anyone have the tech sheet that describe the procedure and torque specs? Thanks!
So, gotta ask. If you have an GT2RS, WHY would you want to change your own oil?
Id think youd HIGHLY devalue a 300k+ car by doing your own maintenance.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I'm trying to think the last time I used a torque wrench on a drain plug...

probably never

rods, flywheel, lug nuts yes

do the new cars have a dipstick?
Old 11-23-2020, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Old 11-23-2020, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

I dunno if owning a Skydweller a requirement for changing the oil on your 991.2 but it seems to be..

why he is using a torque wrench to remove the oil filter cap is another mystery

he's calling the o ring a gasket...

Last edited by otto_kretschmer; 11-23-2020 at 10:29 PM..
Old 11-23-2020, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Looks like the 991.2 has a plastic oil sump. I saw this on the new Ford F150 at the LA autoshow last year so it looks to be the new thing to do for auto manufactures.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

My Audi has a plastic oil pan and drain bolt. It is not intended that you drain oil out the bottom. Plastic drain plug is one time use and apparently its very easy to strip out threads. On newer Audi's You are supposed to suck oil out thru the dipstick tube. It was actually easier than removing all the shields under the car. I do not know if 991 is same way.

john
Old 11-24-2020, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

From watching the video I don't think you can suck the oil out of the filler hole. There is an oil level on the dash so that means no dipstick and dipstick tube.

I would be especially careful installing the drain plug. A plastic plug in a plastic pan means hand tight with a screw driver.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to ischmitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto_kretschmer View Post
I dunno if owning a Skydweller a requirement for changing the oil on your 991.2 but it seems to be..

odd, that he's wearing it for the video....indead. But the stainless steel version is probably not scratching as quickly as the WG version

I repair/rebuild Bosch CDI Boxes and Porsche Motronic DMEs
Porsche "Hammer" or Porsche PST2 - I can help!!
How about a NoBadDays DualChip for 964 or '95 993
Old 11-24-2020, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:

why he is using a torque wrench to remove the oil filter cap is another mystery

he's calling the o ring a gasket...
Its not my place to tell another man what to do with his watch..
.... but I would never wear my Rolex working on my car. Unreal
2017 Macan S
INSTAGRAM @tail_spinz
Old 11-24-2020, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

It looks like a nice car but I'm not in the right tax bracket to own one. My 76 S is admittedly a real POS but its mine and I don't have to please anyone but myself. I FINALLY have time to work on it so I'm going to get it running and drive it for a year and then decide what to do next. Do I tear it down to the tub and do a complete job on it or do I just keep improving the mechanicals and not worry about cosmetics?

I can afford a Rolex now but my biggest issue with them is they look super sexy online looking at them on my laptop but when I've seen them in real life they let me down. Just another nice watch. I have a Doxa and two Sinns and a Sub doesn't look any better to me.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by targa72e View Post
My Audi has a plastic oil pan and drain bolt. It is not intended that you drain oil out the bottom. Plastic drain plug is one time use and apparently its very easy to strip out threads. On newer Audi's You are supposed to suck oil out thru the dipstick tube. It was actually easier than removing all the shields under the car. I do not know if 991 is same way.

john
My 2019 VW has a plastic pan and drain bolt (same as the Audi). The drain "bolt" is replaceable (they're cheap) and incredibly easy to change, actually pretty brilliant. I thought it was unnecessarily stupid until I tried it, it's just a simple bayonet type of fastener. You'd have to really try hard to strip it.

Yes, I would rather have a metal oil pan and an actual drain bolt but everything seems to be turning to plastic these days.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
There is an oil level on the dash so that means no dipstick and dipstick tube.
Really?
Old 11-25-2020, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Correct, No Dipstick with a fairly accurate oil level display. Plastic/Composite oil pan with a $1.98 drain plug. Looks cheap but works very well. I change my own oil and filter on my 2019 Carrera T and it's easy.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

What I am getting to is that an oil level on the dash does not exclude a dipstick. Look on every oil cooled 911.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

You can see the oil level function on the dash at 16:17. Having a dipstick would be redundant. Looking at the engine bay where would you put a dipstick? We see how tight it is just to get to the oil filter.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: