Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

How straight is an aluminum cross member?

I bought one many years ago at a swap meet and I'm considering adding to my 72 while the suspension is out for a refresh. However, upon inspection, it appears to have a bend. Vertically it's level. The rear is flat but the front is a bit off.

As the photos show, the passenger side sits more flush than the drivers. I can't see any obvious damage or major nicks, but it looks to have a "bow" to it. How true are they?

Thanks,

Tinker

Old 11-25-2020, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
FWIW mine has a bow in it as well.

Check out my 75 and 77 911S build threads
Old 11-25-2020, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

Not uncommon. Especially if the car has hit a curb. Lots of right side struts are bent for the same reason.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks guys. My concern was aligning the thing if it was too far out of wack. That does not appear to be a problem?
Old 11-25-2020, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
That doesnt seem like a good indicator of straightness. Could just be the way it was cast. You need to measure off the machined surfaces and holes. use a 4' level as a straight edge get the center holes the same then you can measure to the big holes if its bent front to back and up or down.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: