Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
1975 e-brake cable out of adjustment??

Hello everyone!

I finally got around to checking out why my e-brake wasnít working on my passenger side. This could have been a problem since the previous owner I really donít know for sure. Any how I removed the rotor and found it like in the photo.

In PET it is called a expanding bow. There are two per side. Both on the passenger side were loose and not engaging the e-brake shoes. I thought this would be an easy fix so I removed the shoes and reinstall them with the shoes now engaged with the expanding bows. I get it all back together and pull the e-brake handle and the e-brake engages in four clicks. Success!

Well success was short lived, as I was checking by released the handle and re-engaging the e-brake the shoes popped out of the expanding bow again. This time locking my shoes to the drum. I managed to get the rotor off again though.

What is causing these shoes to pop out? Is the parking brake cable out of adjustment somehow causing this to happen?

'75 911s Targa
Old 12-14-2020, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Are you certain all 4 bows were seated correctly?
Is the other brake shoe retaining spring (not visible in your picture) installed?
A loose cable won't cause your problem.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete3799 View Post
Are you certain all 4 bows were seated correctly?
Is the other brake shoe retaining spring (not visible in your picture) installed?
A loose cable won't cause your problem.
Yes all 4 bows were seated and the retaining spring was installed. I have an idea and I’m trying to find a photo of an original shoe. I don’t know if these were ever replaced but if you look at the shoe the end where the bows are sticks out a little bit. I’m thinking that extra length isn’t allowing the bows to seat all the way onto the shoes.

'75 911s Targa
Old 12-14-2020, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Iím thinking I was wrong in my last post. I am wondering if I should have this much play in the cable though.

'75 911s Targa
Old 12-14-2020, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
I had the same issue and finally got around to fixing it. Pushed both of the tabs back in, readjusted the cables and e-brake works perfectly. I'm also curious as to the cause of the tabs popping out. I'm guessing if the e-brake is not adjusted and there is too much slack in the cable it may cause the tabs to pop off??

1976 RSR Backdate (Turbo 3.2)
Old 12-14-2020, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
After removing and re-installing the rotor and e-brake shoes for like eleventeen times I think I got it. I also got pretty good at installing those springs. For the cone shaped springs that hold the shoes in place I used a 8mm socket on a 6 inch extension. Makes it pretty darn easy.

'75 911s Targa
Old 12-15-2020, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: