Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Radio delete/Bluetooth install opinions wanted

My radio quit after 20 years so I needed to replace it but I rarely listened to the radio. I decided to do a stealth install for Bluetooth only and stream from my phone. I want to be able to have a controller easily in reach while driving and ordered a couple of controllers to consider.
I plan on mounting the controller in the radio delete panel I sourced.
I’m looking for opinions on which one the brain trust thinks looks best and would be most user friendly.

I like the Infinity controller for its volume knob but it is a little large and shines.

The other controller from Rockville looks like a window switch and has a matte finish.

I mocked up a panel to mount them in for comparison. I am leaning toward not centering the controller but having it more toward the drivers side and adding a USB charger in the panel also.

Opinions wanted....excuse the rats nest of wires , I’ve yet to remove all that from the former installation.

Last edited by ben parrish; 01-13-2021 at 01:05 PM..
Old 01-13-2021, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Been here a while

this looks pretty cool.

https://mbquart.com/powersports-audio/source-units/bluetooth-controllers/n2-wbt/

Cayman R Sportomatic and some other cars
Old 01-13-2021, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

I almost got the Rockville unit with direct amplifier connection. There are a few options in this space.

My only issue is that many places I drive do not have cell connection so I need actual radio.

Related to your install. I would put a radio blanking plate and then put controller down in center console.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts and suspension setups.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I also have many areas without cell service but my teenagers are educating me on Spotify and downloading music to my phone so I don’t need cell service. I’m a Pandora guy and have a few stations that I can listen to when offline.
The console is an idea but wouldn’t be very accessible...I’m actually toying with removing it entirely.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
'73 911 T Targa

Garage
With Amazon music you can download individual songs or playlists so they’re available offline.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
1979 911 SC

Garage
This is the one I have decided to go with. I replaced the front speakers and I'll throw some infinity 4 x 6's in the back and install this. I have a radio delete plate and plan to mount the controller there just as you have mocked up. Not sure the best way to install the whole thing as I know zero about auto electronics but I'll figure it out.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-68fARXASXP2/p_113M1824BT/Kenwood-KAC-M1824BT.html?

XVINQ=GLX&awkw=128001083305&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=66951761305&awdv=c&awug=9012221&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0fr_BRDaARIsAABw4EvSkVhoj9Ee7nxGPtkT WdSJGuq25mf3s3fWrFFmlcIgvCdVfSS4_poaAsjmEALw_wcB
Old 01-13-2021, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Been here a while

I’ve got that kenwood unit in 2 911’s and it works great, the highlight, but it may not apply in this case, is the control panel fits perfectly in the ashtray. Leave the ashtray open while you drive, close it and the system is completely invisible.

Sounds great, too.

Cayman R Sportomatic and some other cars
Old 01-13-2021, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

I have been struggling with the radio problem in my 3 vintage cars. For the 86 Targa, I ended up installing a radio app on my iPhone, magnet support the iPhone on the vents, a discrete 10$ blue tooth controller that I installed on top of the heather control between the front seats, and Apple AirPods with noise cancellation. I never had a better radio experience in a car. Even phone calls are a piece of cake. The AirPods are not cheap, but I can and do use them outside the car too. And apart from the usb charging cable for the iPhone, no wiring involved.

Last edited by alexandervdr; 01-13-2021 at 09:02 PM..
Old 01-13-2021, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

I also like pods and have used them in the car but I feel uneasy with the diminished hearing ability of my surroundings. I also realize that I need to hear the engine to properly gauge my speed when I am driving....90% of my driving is on twisty mountain roads and the speed can get out of hand quickly for the curve.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben parrish View Post
I also like pods and have used them in the car but I feel uneasy with the diminished hearing ability of my surroundings. I also realize that I need to hear the engine to properly gauge my speed when I am driving....90% of my driving is on twisty mountain roads and the speed can get out of hand quickly for the curve.
Check out the Aeropex bone conduction headsets (they sit on the bones in front of your ear, not in your ear). Not as high fidelity as Airpods for music, but perfectly good for podcasts and phone calls. I believe most states have restrictions about driving with headphones on / earbuds in. These don't block your ear canals so that's another bonus.

I've been using my Aeropex headset during endless Zoom call days. It's certainly more comfortable than having Airpods in non-stop.

That being said, loves me some Airpods too, especially the noise cancellation when I used to fly.

Different horses for different courses.

WTB / ISO: G50 911 M491 Coupe
Old 01-14-2021, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: