Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Removing Washer Water Bottle

I'm removing my windshield washer bottle to install another a/c condenser. Has anyone done this before? What's involved? Is the pump part of the bottle, or is it separate? Where should I mount the new bottle?

On the subject of a new one, does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can purchase a small washer reservoir?

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-02-2003, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I can't remember if the motor is part of the resevoir but here's an inexpensive unit that may be easier to fit in the front trunk section...
http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=14950&BQ=jcw2

BTW, the pump/bottle assembly comes in 3 different configurations...Vertical, horizontal and bag resevoir.

Last edited by RickM; 07-02-2003 at 01:53 PM..
Old 07-02-2003, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to UTKarmann_Ghia
I removed and repaired mine a few months ago and the pump IS part of the bottle. There's a retaining screw on top and a strap that secures it also. It's pretty straight forward tho, so you shouldnt have any problem removing it. I seem to recall having to remove my left turn signal light to get a good angle on the hardware. And you should remove your front wheel for access too.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I've seen the Whitney parts, and they are a good option. I just hate to pay $8 shipping for an $18 part, but that may be the only option!

Any idea where to mount the new one, and how to run the plumbing? (I'd like to try to continue to use the original filler tube.)
Old 07-02-2003, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Was the pump/resevoir bottle moved in later models? My '87's windshield washers no longer work but my head light washers are ok. The pump/bottle appear to be up near the brake mastercylinder-reservoir. I'ver searched the archives but found nothing concerning later model pump locations.

Any advice on its repair would be greatly appreciated.
FYI
fuses are ok, bottle is full. Switch on staulk works. Therefore time to pull the bottle and repari pump?
'13 Escape 2.0
'08 A3 3.2
Old 07-02-2003, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The washer bottle near the brake reservoir is the "intensive cleaning" reservoir. I dumped mine but now I wish I'd kept it and replumbed it to replace my washer bottle.
-Chris
Old 07-02-2003, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Scottb - you and I are about 24 hours apart on the same project. I got a 964 condenser setup and will be pulling the washer bottle today to look at the initial fit. Stay in touch and take some photos so we can compare notes going forward.
Regards,
Old 07-03-2003, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Don't quote me on this, but I believe it was the 964 RS that had a smaller, lighter weight w/s washer res. that mounted in the front trunk. I saw this somewhere recently, can't remember where, but the parts are supposedly available and reasonable, and only real change from stock usability is (much) smaller resevoir.

It was a nice, clean, factory install, mounted on inside right front near shock tower. Anyone have "the rest of the story"?
Old 07-03-2003, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Not sure of the difference between a 78 Sc and your 84 but my pump is separate from the bottle, sits up in the front , just behind the bumper, drivers side. It is easy to check if you remove the fittings. Drop a lenghth of 1/4" tubing into a jug of water and aim the other hose elsewhere. The most common issue is blockage at the "L" and "T" connectors up under the windshield area. A judicial use of compressed aitr cleared my "T" valve (drivers side) and I relaced the L on the other side. It is amazing how much the dadburn tank holds! I think it is like 3 liters!
Old 07-03-2003, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
The pump is separate from the bottle and in the location as Richard described. Left front trunk, mounted against the wall of the chassis tub with some rubber studs.

The tank removal is pretty easy other than the rusty fasteners. I think you need to first remove the fuel tank expansion tank/reservoir and then there's a big metal band clamp that holds the washer fluid tank in place.

Richard's right! That washer tank holds a ton of liquid.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I have an '86 911 and was thinking of doing the same thing when I saw the size of the bottle but there is advantages to that big thing. It stops alot of dirt and debris from going directly into the front bumper and turn signals.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thomas Owen: You have mail.

Scott
Old 07-05-2003, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I just got the washer bottle for my 1970 911T and want to fit it... it was gone from the car when I got it.
Anyone got pictures of how it and the washer pump mounts please? (All at the front of the car in this model I believe)
Much appreciated.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: