Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New SO3's today! almost...

So, I finally drop the 911 off this morning at 8am to have the new Bridgestones installed. I get a ride back there at 10am and see the car parked out front... not sure I like the look of the front tires. As I get closer, I realize they mounted the front tires, 205/55zr15, on the rear wheels (8's) on the front, and the rear tires, 225/50zr15 on the front wheels (7's) on the rear! Unbelieveable.

So, hopefully, when I go back at lunchtime they'll have the correct tires on the correct wheels in the correct location. We will see...

'80 911SC Weissach Edition
'87 325is
'02 K1200RS
Old 07-09-2003, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

LOL what a silly mistake to make. I hope they understand how you must feel now (I know how I would feel) and make sure everything is in perfect order next time you show up.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Don't expect "scratch-free" mounting ...if they're *that* dumb !
---Wil Ferch
Old 07-09-2003, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Yea, I take my soft socket, tell them the correct torque setting and watch them. On the other hand, the Honda Accord I leave and don't think twice!

Chad aka "Chili"
1974 Base coupe in Carrera outfit.
No A/C, no Sun Roof, no power windows. Fast and light, just the way I like it. (Sad to say, it's sold. But at least it remains with us on this board.)
My car http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/CHILI
1969 RSR Project. Heavy on the word PROJECT! No pictures yet. Keeps breaking lenses of cameras.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Chili:
Excellent practice. I will do this next time.

Wil:
I discussed this at length when I dropped the car off. They showed me their latest tire mounting equipment, and assured they would take care of the wheels. They looked ok when I was back in the first time. I'm not thrilled about having them exposed again.

Mikkel:
Where in Copenhagen are you? I travel to Viborg to visit Dansk every other year. I was last there in Sept. 2002. What a great area. I love it there. We exhibit at the Automechanika in Frankfurt, and we usually drive up to Viborg after the show. Of course, all the Dansk employees have to stop at the border to load up on tax-free goods!

'87 325is
'02 K1200RS
Old 07-09-2003, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I get a sick feeling in my stomach every time I leave my car to get work done anywhere other than my mechanics. I'm always half expecting to see it flying down the road past me, tyres burning, bouncing off the rev-limiter with a couple of apprentices in the seats.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1997 Boxster 986 2.5l
Old 07-09-2003, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Glasgow: I get the EXACT same feelings!

'87 325is
'02 K1200RS
Old 07-09-2003, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by CHILI
, tell them the correct torque setting and watch them.
I wonder if the impact gun and socket will stretch the alumnium threads?
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 07-09-2003, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
I take my Fuchs off and drive them (in the trunk of my daily driver) to the tire place when I want new tires. I don't trust them with my car on a lift, or their air tools.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
SCWDP- Shock and Awe Dept

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Emission
I take my Fuchs off and drive them (in the trunk of my daily driver) to the tire place when I want new tires. I don't trust them with my car on a lift, or their air tools.
Ditto!
Old 07-09-2003, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

What Maroons!! That should be a fairly obvious mistake that I would think you would notice before the customer showed back up to pick up his car.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 07-09-2003, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by masraum
What Maroons!! That should be a fairly obvious mistake that I would think you would notice before the customer showed back up to pick up his car.
If it was any other tire I'd agree. The 16" S-03's I put on my 944 have the same tread width but are different sizes (225 & 245). Maybe it is the same for the 15" tires?
-Chris
Old 07-09-2003, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I usually do the same. I have a set of 18" Fikses that should arrive any day now for my turbo. I'm getting the wheels and tires all through the same local shop...so I can expect that everything will be mounted/balanced perfectly with no scratches, etc and fit the car perfectly. Keeping my fingers crossed as I usually have bad luck with this sort of thing.

Quote:
Old 07-09-2003, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Does a 205 even fit on a 8 in. rim? Because a 15 in. 205 and 225 S-03 are not even close to the same width. Must have looked like a doughnut!

I refuse to let anyone handle the Porsche when it comes to tires. I also carry them in myself.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I wonder if the impact gun and socket will stretch the alumnium threads?

Oh, no way are they using an impact gun. I use America's Tire Company. Not sure if they are just in Cali or not. They use torque wrenches. The crazy thing is, they even knew the correct torque setting for my accord. I heard one of the guys ask another employee and later I looked it up. He was right! Man, a 93 accord? Pretty good. Plus, they have a machine (not sure what it's called) that will ballance the tires while on the car, so they take into account the hub and rotor. Pretty cool.

Chad aka "Chili"
1974 Base coupe in Carrera outfit.
No A/C, no Sun Roof, no power windows. Fast and light, just the way I like it. (Sad to say, it's sold. But at least it remains with us on this board.)
My car http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/CHILI
1969 RSR Project. Heavy on the word PROJECT! No pictures yet. Keeps breaking lenses of cameras.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Mike, I dont mean to get personal but what are you paying for the SO3's? I want to get some and want to make sure I get a fair deal.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by KTL

Does a 205 even fit on a 8 in. rim?
Hi Kevin..
I don't know much about 8".. but my 205/55/16 S-03s are fatter on my 6" than RE-71s.. like it raised my car about 1/4". so I gotta figure 7" is the minimum/don't really know, for my tires.......Ron
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 07-09-2003, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Soo...you discussed the mounting protocol "at length"...and ended up with fat front tires and skinny rear tires?? Gimme a break !!

Just like my paranoid friend who recently went to the PORSCHE DEALER to have his Fuchs re-skinnned and mounted. You guessed it....wheel nuts were torqued to over 400 ft-lbs ( how do we know? ...by the 4 foot long cheater bar required to break the SOB's free, with over 3" of deflection before they broke free...and the twisted lugnuts...and the pile of aluminum shavings on the floor once the hole saw was used to get the REMNANTS of the lug nuts off !!!
As negotiatons are currently underway ( the dealer is balking at 20 new lug nuts... they offered 7)...I'll refrain from naming this East coast dealer..but watch out, they may be named soon !!
--Wil Ferch
Old 07-09-2003, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Any reason not to use 205-50's up front? There is about a 0.8" difference in overall diameter, thereby lowering your front end by about 0.4". Also would be slightly lower profile in front, possibly providing crisper turn-in. Can't imagine this would adversely effect corner balance or alignment significantly.

Thinking about doing this....any thoughts?
89 Carrera 3.6 V-ram #94
Livin' for Targa time!

Want to make God laugh?
Tell him your plans!
Old 07-09-2003, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Yes...the thought has occured to me that my stock 205/55-16 and 225/50-16 ( fr/rr) give about a 24.8" rolling diameter. We can then go to 15" Fuchs of the same tire sections and lose 1" of diameter. We can also go further ( lower) and go with 50 series fronts and 45 series rear. All this, without altering suspension settings and probably lower gearing ( quicker acceleration) to boot. Something to think about especially if you use track rims vs street rims.
Only thing is... if you go too far with this concept, the wheel well opening starts looking too large for the tire/rim combo you choose, but it IS an effective way to lower the car 1-2" or more rather painlessly.
---Wil Ferch
Old 07-09-2003, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: